(Not Your Typical) Auction Game

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Why not have an hours break after 10. You get back to us with results so the thread slows down. Then at 11 or even 12 the bidding for the next team starts?

cma6

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2006
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lets say that someone has 40 players with say 300k left in the bank, can they still spend that 300k and cut the weakest player(s) from their squad?

As long as they stay within the 10million and only submit their best 40 players at the end, it shouldn't matter how many players they buy right?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Lets say that someone has 40 players with say 300k left in the bank, can they still spend that 300k and cut the weakest player(s) from their squad?

As long as they stay within the 10million and only submit their best 40 players at the end, it shouldn't matter how many players they buy right?

Would not think you can. By bidding for a player and winning their services, logically a contract has been signed binding you to that player and would not be fair to others that previously bid on that player that you outbid them on.

I think we all have to have a 40 player list. Whether we spend all the $10 million on those 40 players is up to us. Clearly cannot go over.

I basically cannot afford someone like Ablett already and asking price will just be too much. I should not be able to bid $1.5 m on Ablett and cut some other player to afford him.

I was thinking the same but then it's not really fair on the person you outbid for the player you choose to cut.

Maybe we could say that you can have more than 40 players provided you stay within the salary cap?

cma6

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2006
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would not think you can. By bidding for a player and winning their services, logically a contract has been signed binding you to that player and would not be fair to others that previously bid on that player that you outbid them on.

I think we all have to have a 40 player list. Whether we spend all the $10 million on those 40 players is up to us. Clearly cannot go over.

I basically cannot afford someone like Ablett already and asking price will just be too much. I should not be able to bid $1.5 m on Ablett and cut some other player to afford him.

You wouldn't get the money back when you cut the player. It just means that you've wasted the money you spent on any players you cut.

Your limit would still be 10mill and you can only submit 40 players at the end. If you buy 45and cut 5 then you have blown the cost of those 5 players.

It just gives you an opportunity to balance out your team at the end if your bidding hasn't gone to plan.

cma6

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2006
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was thinking the same but then it's not really fair on the person you outbid for the player you choose to cut.

Maybe we could say that you can have more than 40 players provided you stay within the salary cap?

That's what i meant but the final judging is based on 40 players so you'd need to nominate which 40 to be judged on.

Back