Now or Never seasons for...

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't agree with that. I think our ability to generate ball movement out of the back half is a massive weakness.

Even with Cutler and Rich coming off the back? And Andrews has shown hes a solid rebounder with his marking, as well as Paps back there. And Hanley might find himself back there more with a fully fit midfield...I dont think the backline agrees with Claye, personally.

On Claye I want us NOT to play him in the back half. Like his brother hes dangerous even when 60 metres out from goal. And we need goal scorers more than we need rebounders.
I disagree. We struggle at clearing from the back half, often living in hope that an aimless kick to a congested contest up the boundary will pay off. We need some classy ball use from someone who can kick long and hit a target, or if need be, run it out and send it directly to half forward. Claye could do that.

Even with Cutler and Rich coming off the back? And Andrews has shown hes a solid rebounder with his marking, as well as Paps back there. And Hanley might find himself back there more with a fully fit midfield...I dont think the backline agrees with Claye, personally.
Rich is inconsistent. Cutler is a largely unknown quantity in terms of what he might achieve or even what position he will ultimately play. Andrews has a lot of development to do to becoming a force in the rebound. Paps has his weaknesses as we all know. And we'd be mad to take Hanley out of the midfield.
If I were a player capable of playing at either end of the ground, I'd much rather take my chances of winning a spot at the defensive end of the ground than trying to get ahead of Zorko, Christensen, Mayes, Taylor, etc - as well as competing against the full time mids who will rest up forward at times.

Besides, as Hawthorn shows, when your half backs push up field, they can provide an attacking threat in terms of goals and inside 50s.

He
Lester needs to find a way to improve his movement. I've long been a fan of his work at the contest but there were too many games this year where he had the agility, speed and endurance of an old school ruckman. You just can't afford to play on ball and struggle to run.
is he a midfielder or a forward?

The hits on Rich when he was drafted were dead accurate, couldnt run off a tag and when he was drafted was as good as he was going to get.

I think Lester showed a lot more as a third tall marking option than anything else, but I think with the guys coming in and back from injury he slides down the order.

The two tassie boys were pretty late, speculative pics, so hard to judge without seeing them. Beasely IMO showed a lot for a first year, very competitive.

SOmebody listed Cutler as a small defender, he is 6'3 and a big body. Plenty of upside in him, would be nice if he could develop the tank to go to the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back