Remove this Banner Ad

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
What about a roof at ANZ?

NRL Head of Strategy, Shane Richardson: Yes, I would build one and even more important is making it a rectangular shape and getting fans closer to the action.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...211006949?nk=11dfb895eb6d8d04a297e315f37a2efa

It wouldn't be an issue in the short-term as the size of Spotless stadium next door suits the Giants in their embryonic phase, while Swans' fans hated their home games at ANZ.

However, longer-term restricting the largest oval in Western Sydney to Spotless' 25,000 capacity if ANZ was made rectangular, would hinder a winning GWS team especially in terms of hosting derbies and eventually building it up as an 'event' and rivalry that would attract a much larger crowd.

Make it rectangular, so teams don't have to play on that horrendous cow paddock.

Giants are a decade or more from needing more capacity than can be provided at Blacktown.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The writing is already on the wall for this to happen. The Swans will stop playing home games at ANZ Stadium next year, the Sydney derby hasn't been played there since 2013 and the Sydney Thunder are trying to move into Spotless Stadium permanently. There really isn't any reason to keep it convertible beyond 2016.

Having said that, I'm not sure the AFL will just let it happen.

cammo78

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Mooroolbark FC, Arizona Cardinals
They used to do that. Dunno why they stopped

They realised they could get other people to pay for it then have it for free 25 years down the track.

What they didn't tell us was that the "other people" paying for it would be the tenant clubs.

le dominateur

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2009
sadelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
This really is a non issue for the AFL, Sydney supporters hate the place and GWS have a very small following. The surface is a disgrace, football supporters should be rejoicing.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Good, do it. No one cares about footy in Western Sydney anyway.

I disagree, plenty of WA & SA expats out that way - I understand GWS have tried to tap that market as yet with very little success. I'd say success on field will bring these guys out of their lounge rooms. If you've never relocated a family interstate you'd have trouble understanding the competing pressures & getting an afternoon off for footy is significantly more difficult than when you are surrounded by an extended family & mates going back to school.

Hang in there GWS & the Suns, lookking forward to both lifting the only trophy that counts.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I disagree, plenty of WA & SA expats out that way - I understand GWS have tried to tap that market as yet with limited success. I'd say winning will bring these guys/families out of their lounge rooms. If you've never relocated a family interstate you'd have trouble understanding the competing pressures & getting an afternoon off for footy is significantly more difficult than when you are surrounded by an extended family & mates going back to schooldays.

Hang in there GWS & the Suns, lookking forward to both lifting the only trophy that counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Giants can play their home game at the scg v the swans can't they ?

Geelong play Hawthorn at home at the G for example.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As it should be.

It is just terrible as an oval.

I actually quite like the views on it. I had a great view of the entire ground when the Swans played North Melbourne in the finals. Getting to and from the stadium was a massive pain in the arse but once there it is not a bad ground. In terms of transport Spotless has the same issues since it is right next to ANZ.

I actually quite like the views on it. I had a great view of the entire ground when the Swans played North Melbourne in the finals. Getting to and from the stadium was a massive pain in the arse but once there it is not a bad ground. In terms of transport Spotless has the same issues since it is right next to ANZ.
The turf is just crap though.

It is bad for AFL, bad for Socceroos games, bad for NRL games.

It is an acl wrecking place waiting to happen.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Giants can play their home game at the scg v the swans can't they ?

Geelong play Hawthorn at home at the G for example.
I don't think that's a fair comparison. The Swans are the only tenants of the SCG and therefore have complete home advantage whereas Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn and Melbourne all share the MCG. Then you have teams like Essendon and Carlton playing home games at the MCG as well, even against each other. Plus a western Sydney team playing home games at Moore Park won't go down well. See 2013 A-League Grand Final.

Jan 14, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Exers
The NRL can keep that piss poor excuse of a stadium. No atmosphere, horrible surface and most importantly, it's the site of the merciless beating Sydney handed out to us in the Prelim last year. **** ANZ Stadium.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
It will be hilarious when it goes ahead and the NRL makes it out to be some big victory over the AFL.

First Roy Masters has to figure out how to get out of his backyard.

roy masters.jpg

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The joint is a cinder block s**t hole anyway. Let em have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back