NSW/QLD Exclusive Draft Options

Is it unfair that the NSW/QLD clubs have exclusive rights to players in their state?

• Yes, they should have free reign and still have access to the other states players if they want

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • No, this is biased, unfair, inequitable and disadvantages all others but them

Votes: 68 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
I am interested to know, if you believe that the current draft system where the NSW/QLD clubs have the exclusive rights to the players in their states, before anyone else and yet can still pick whomever they want outside of their states.

Whilst the rest of the competition cannot touch the players in NSW/QLD that those clubs want.

It seems to me, that a true national competition should provide the ability to pick players from all over Australia, if it is your clubs draft pick then they should be able to choose who they like.

Just another inequity from the now departed 'bloated one', in my view.

GWS are the club set up to make the most out of this because some of the best players of the past 30 years have come from the country NSW regions. I think the GWS zone goes right down to the Murray.

That's talent the quality of Carey, Hird, Kelly, Crawford, etc.

But they don't have 'exclusive' rights? If clubs want Isaac Heeney they can bid on him. The Swans then have the right to match if they feel he is worth it.

Would you also abolish the Father-Son rule? Just because your dad played for the Swans/Hawks/Cats, doesn't mean you should have a birth right to play there.

Open up the likes of Libba and Daniher to the free market on draft day.

Cannot understand why a bidding system can't be implemented.

It is. The acedemy players are bid on in the exact same process as father son players.

The Lions took Jono Freeman as a 3rd round pick last year after West Coast put in a bid.

At least pretend to make the OP an unbiased question. "Free reign"

You can bid on the players to get them. Free 'reign' is an extreme exageration.

How many good players have come from NSW in the past 10 years? Please just stop.

If anyone wants to know how the Academy system works, go the Academy thread on Swans board/main board and read Liz's posts, the system is outlined with rules, shows the benefeits, shows the way it's used etc.

GWS are the club set up to make the most out of this because some of the best players of the past 30 years have come from the country NSW regions. I think the GWS zone goes right down to the Murray.

That's talent the quality of Carey, Hird, Kelly, Crawford, etc.
Yes certainly there have been some stars, but that's far from saying there have been alot of players produced, which there really hasn't. NSW only produces about 5-6% I think of the National draft, and NSW/Qld clubs being able to retain their local players, albeit what there is of them, is a good way to foster interest in the game as a whole in those two states.

We have to realize the game doesn't have the luxury of being equally popular all over the country like the NFL in America does. There just has to be some level of draft inequality for the game to prosper in the Northern States, and this will bear well in the future for the rest of the comp in the future.

You can bid on the players to get them. Free 'reign' is an extreme exageration.

I live in WA for a start, however make the bidding system National then? if it isn't then it is exclusive. You can twist it, reword it or whatever you like, if it is a duck, waddles like a duck then it is a duck...simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live in WA for a start, however make the bidding system National then? if it isn't then it is exclusive. You can twist it, reword it or whatever you like, if it is a duck, waddles like a duck then it is a duck...simple as that.

National? As in clubs in Victoria split up the state into zones and WA clubs do the same? How would that provide equality?

Or split up NSW/QLD/Central Australia? Because that I'd be all for.

Seems to offer a similar advantage to the father-son rule, for clubs that won't have any sons coming through for a while
Sydney/South Melbourne have been around as long as stkilda
Just because their players had girls, doesn't mean they should have access to another draftin option

Because the game's advertisers and sponsors are interested in having a strong market in NSW and QLD, and this is only possible through successful sides in those states.
So essentially the competition is rigged for the benefit of the game's advertisers and sponsors. And you're happy with that?

Why does it have to grow at the expense of a fair competition?

The academy is pretty fair though?

The Swans have put years of development into Heeney, without which he may not have even made the grade to get drafted in the first place.

With the Swans putting in their time, money, effort and resources, why shouldn't they get a decent crack at him?

When NSW scholarships were available to non NSW clubs, how many took it seriously? Taylor Walker and Jarrod Witts are all that program has to show.

Let's be honest and admit this is a Swans thing yeah? If Heeney was at Brisbane and looked set to get there with their 2nd rounder, noone would care.

The academy is pretty fair though?

The Swans have put years of development into Heeney, without which he may not have even made the grade to get drafted in the first place.

With the Swans putting in their time, money, effort and resources, why shouldn't they get a decent crack at him?

When NSW scholarships were available to non NSW clubs, how many took it seriously? Taylor Walker and Jarrod Witts are all that program has to show.

Let's be honest and admit this is a Swans thing yeah? If Heeney was at Brisbane and looked set to get there with their 2nd rounder, noone
People are only annoyed about Heeney because they get a top 10 draft pick a year after getting the most sought after free agent via their salary cap allowances (which came a year after securing the most sought after trade).

I would suggest people are wondering how far the AFL are willing to go to undermine the fairness of their own competition in search for money.

Back