NSW Scholarship Holder - Craig Moller

Remove this Banner Ad

chinggis77

Club Legend
May 14, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thought our NSW rookies needed their own thread so we can keep track of their progress.

These scholarships are for 3 years.

Craig Moller

Moller is from Barden Ridge, 30km south of Sydney.

As of 2009 he was listed as 199cm as a year nine student (14 y.o.) and played as a ruckman/CHF for the Cronulla Sharks. Craig has also had considerable success on the basket ball court, winning selection for NSW U16s in 2009 competing in Tasmania in July.

Matt_Nicholls our BF resident in NSW had this to say earlier this year:
Just got back from holidays and actually ran into Moller outside the SCG gates last Saturday. Got talking to him and he is now 205cms! Still only 15 and has plenty of growing to do I suspect.

Competed in this years U16 national titles for NSW.

NSW vs World XVIII - 2 goals, in the bests.
NSW vs NT - third best for NSW
NSW vs QLD - BOG for NSW

Emerging Sydney Uni colt, Craig Moller, performed exceptionally well for the NSW/ACT Rams in the recent U16 National Championships. The team finished third in the Division Two section of the competition, accounting for the Northern Territory and a World XVI while going down to Queensland in the first game. Tasmania were the eventual champions.
Moller finished the series as NSW/ACT’s most valuable player with consistent efforts across all three games, playing in the ruck and across the forward line.

http://www.suanfc.com/News-Detail.asp?NewsID=1516&Mth=7&Yr=2010

201828.jpg

Jesus christ, could end up as big as 211. Going to be a very long project player, looks thinner than Christian Bock. Good to see him in the bests and kicking goals though.

What's the likelihood that West Sydney will just swoop in and yank him from under our noses? I'm pretty sure a number of clubs have shown a lot of interest in the lad.

I think you have to use a draft pick in the National Draft otherwise other teams can select him.

Yep. To be specific:

When a scholarship listed player reaches the minimum draft age (currently 18 years old), he can be selected by their club directly to either the senior or rookie lists, bypassing the draft process

I.e. we can use pick 120 to draft him :D:D:D

Of course we can also use him as a bargaining chip to get a gun West Aussie off West Sydney (e.g. Congilio).

Of course we can also use him as a bargaining chip to get a gun West Aussie off West Sydney (e.g. Congilio).

Errkkkk, think not, by the time he's 18 he'll probably be 211cm and tearing it up. Meanwhile Clarke will be developing nicely into a backup ruckman/power forward.

Four years and 30 kegs later there's every chance that he's dominating ruck duels as Sandi starts negotiating for the role of Freo ruck coach post-retirement.

Put this in the main thread but thought I would mention it here also.

Not content with winning the MVP for NSW at the U16 championships, young Craig Moller has been playing with GWS in the TAC competition - all this despite being only 15 years old (playing against 18 year old kids).

His coach had this to say after one game (GWS only play a few games in the TAC):

McConnell highlighted U16 ruckman Craig Moller as a standout. “Craig put in a fabulous effort in the ruck and across the ground, his opponent was recently granted an AIS scholarship, but Craig was dominant and controlling in the ruck. “Its really promising for a player of his age and stature to be playing so well, as taller boys usually take longer to develop.”

If he is pantsing 17/18 year old AIS scholarship holders at just 15 years of age - whats he going to be like in a few years time:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Has been invited himself to join the AFL-AIS academy :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Can we pick ruckmen or what?

Besides our obvious AA superstar we've also had JLo and Clem who could have been anything if not for career ending knees. Clem in particular was an absolute monster of a talent.

That's not a bad strike rate for a young club that's been full of s**t players for most of its history.

One would expect he will come over during summer for some summer training here. Must ask Salim to keep an eye out for him.

Found some stats for Craig from his TAC Cup games:

• Round 17 vs North Ballarat. 2nd best for WSYD. 4 marks, 7 kicks, 12 handballs, 2 tackles, 6 handball receives, 28 hitouts, 1 behind, 1 contested mark.
  • Round 16 vs Dandenong. BOG for WSYD. 2 kicks, 16 handballs, 6 handball receives, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 23 hitouts.
  • Round 15 vs Eastern Ranges. 4th Best for WSYD. 3 marks, 3 kicks, 13 handballs, 4 handball receives, 4 tackles. 10 hitouts (played against Lief Cope who is 205cm and 101kg).
  • Round 14 vs Geelong. BOG for Wsyd. 1 kick, 12 handballs, 3 hr, 1 tackle, 10 hitouts.
Good to see the handball receives and tackles. Shows he is prepared to work hard off the ball also. Got better as he went on...and still only 15 playing against 18 yo giants like Lief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS can't take him from us can they?

Yes they can, as far as I can tell, he still has to agree to sign when he becomes eligable. I think Hawthorne may have lost a scholaship player this year when he chose GWS over the Hawks. I would have thought the player signing the scholarship would have given the club complete rights to that player. Can anyone confirm that?

I think I heard they had access to these young players for 2 years instead of one.

As if the GC concessions weren't generous enough.

Really looking forward to this kid joining us in the future. Hopefully he chooses Fremantle over GWS.

Looks like an amazing find. Already 205cm and growing. Only 15 years old and playing above his age group.

Can he make a choice or is it the case of if he wants to come to Freo its up to him?

It would be hard if he is playing with GWS aleady but if the club has treated him well you would hope he would leave to play in an established club in an AFL state.

He has to choose. We get him only if he chooses to sign with us otherwise he can choose GWS or take his chances in the draft.

If his intention was to sign with GWS he wouldn't be training with us now. The prospect of learning from the best ruckman in the AFL should be enough to hold onto this kid. It wont stop Sheedy from trying to get his hands on him though.

If his intention was to sign with GWS he wouldn't be training with us now. The prospect of learning from the best ruckman in the AFL should be enough to hold onto this kid. It wont stop Sheedy from trying to get his hands on him though.

I'm sure he'll be pulled in all directions, but I had the impression GWS had already signed up a couple of young-gun ruckmen. Sure our ruck stocks are healthy, but he is a few years behind all of them, not directly in competition in that way, and if he can project into the future 4-5 years (when he will be realistically emerging) guess what? "Situation Vacant".

Saw Moller at the U18 Rams camp in Albury, 4th March 2011. Still tall and jumping over everyone. Feedback was that he was the fastest player over 20 metres at the camp and 2nd in vertical leap and 3rd in agility. I heard that he is playing for Sydney Uni this year, not GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back