NSW Scholarship Holder - Craig Moller

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the real question for me about any big kid performing well is whether that is going to translate when they are playing against guys their own size. Tom Hawkins at Geelong the prime example. He is still young, but having dominated at a younger level he has yet to do that in the afl.

The thing that is very exciting about reports about him is that he seems to have the capacity to play forward, especially marking ability and mobility, which if the sub rule remains makes ruckmen very valuable. How do you see that?
I suppose it's the same with any 16 year old. Who know's, but there won't be too many taller than him or who can jump higher and quick as well. Weight should come with age and Fremantle's training program.
He seems to be a ruckman first and forward second but the NSW RAMS ruckman is 19, so starting forward is a good option. It looks like he was too dominant in the forwards last week so the coaches kept him there to get the win. :thumbsu::thumbsu::)

Just realised that the NSW RAMS are playing in Albury this weekend. I will try and get to the game and watch both Freo boys.:)

As great as he sounds I'm not going to get too excited about all this until it's 100% confirmed that GWS aren't going to steal him out from under our noses.

Yeah i am of similar thinking, the AFL will probably up with some bs rule to pinch him (and other scolarship players) from right under our noses, wouldn't be surprised really. I vividly remember someone talking a while back about a rule that was being changed to specifically allow this?

Our boy continues to impress. A goal kicking ruckman = gold. Note that Sydney Uni play in the Premier Division in Sydney.

Sydney University’s 17-year-old ruckman, Craig Moller ,made a memorable senior debut on Saturday, kicking five goals in the Students’ 88-point win over Campbelltown in their Sydney Premier League AFL clash at Blacktown Olympic Park.

Moller, a Year 11 student at Sydney Boys High School, is in his second season with Sydney University. He was a regular member of the Under 18 Premier Cup side last year when he represented NSW Under 16s and was named player of the national championships. He will be representing NSW in the Under 18s at this year’s championships.

While the 203cm Moller was collecting a handful of goals, Tim Barrett kicked four, Sam Crichton kicked three, and Adam Campbell, Alexander Lee and Max Carter each bagged two in the 21.11 (137) to 7.7 (49) result.

http://www.susf.com.au/app/articles/articles/view/australian-football-v-campbelltown-16-5-11

Another three goals for Moller today in the Sydney state leauge. Good to see him doing it against the men.

That league is hardly playing against men. But, having seen him play live in the last few weeks, he is very exciting and is develping both his ruck sense and his broader game positioning (including off the ball/forward 50 setups) - gee I hope we can keep him away from GWS...

That league is hardly playing against men. But, having seen him play live in the last few weeks, he is very exciting and is develping both his ruck sense and his broader game positioning (including off the ball/forward 50 setups) - gee I hope we can keep him away from GWS...
Made an effort to watch mollers last 2 sydney games & in the forward line & ruck he is on men. St George last night brought their starting ruckman on him cause he was doing so well.[st george ruck looked 2m &100+kilo] .Got thrown around twice but when gets position doesn"t get beat. Kicks set shot goals &goals like rovers. Has a long way to go but looks a rare talent. Former Freo player Adam Campbell looks to have taken him under his wing.Foxtel were recording the game. People inthe stand were talking & could not beleive he was 16. Heading home this week but will try & get to a couple of national champs games & send a few reports.

Made an effort to watch mollers last 2 sydney games & in the forward line & ruck he is on men. St George last night brought their starting ruckman on him cause he was doing so well.[st george ruck looked 2m &100+kilo] .Got thrown around twice but when gets position doesn"t get beat. Kicks set shot goals &goals like rovers. Has a long way to go but looks a rare talent. Former Freo player Adam Campbell looks to have taken him under his wing.Foxtel were recording the game. People inthe stand were talking & could not beleive he was 16. Heading home this week but will try & get to a couple of national champs games & send a few reports.

Cheers Doc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno what game you were watching but St George was sending mugs up against him, nowhere near 2m and especially when he was in the forward line Mo had a clear size (ie not just height but also bulk) advantage over his opponent. Sainters are hardly a first string side anyway, but for those that didn't see the match, Craig hardly copped much attention really, and what he did get was from undersized under skilled ST George players. Craig did really well, but I think we need to moderate the expectations a little, he needs to get to the WAFL or SANFL type comps ASAP, as over here he is hardly tested at all...

Can we keep Adam Campbell away from him?!? Please???

That was my initial reaction too Nikko....

Don't worry, Kiwi has had hardly anything to do with his development, much more to do with a couple of the ACT/rural NSW scouts who are doing a really good job over the last four years, not just for us but also for a number of other clubs. SO much raw talent out here, we just need some committed school age coaches and weekend comps to develop it...

Dunno what game you were watching but St George was sending mugs up against him, nowhere near 2m and especially when he was in the forward line Mo had a clear size (ie not just height but also bulk) advantage over his opponent. Sainters are hardly a first string side anyway, but for those that didn't see the match, Craig hardly copped much attention really, and what he did get was from undersized under skilled ST George players. Craig did really well, but I think we need to moderate the expectations a little, he needs to get to the WAFL or SANFL type comps ASAP, as over here he is hardly tested at all..

Don't worry, Kiwi has had hardly anything to do with his development, much more to do with a couple of the ACT/rural NSW scouts who are doing a really good job over the last four years, not just for us but also for a number of other clubs. SO much raw talent out here, we just need some committed school age coaches and weekend comps to develop it...

Thanks for the indepth info BPG!

Thanks for the first hand info BPG. Have you seen Tom Head play also? What are your thoughts on him? Who does he play for when not with NSW Rams?

Very good size on him, hopefully he can turn into something special, if not as a forward, then as a key defender.

Really looking forward to how Moller goes in the U18 champs. First game is next Sat vs Vic Metro, will be a huge litmus test for Moller against the leading draft prospect Billy Longer. That said, Moller kicked 5 goals when he went up against Longer's Northern Knights earlier this year. One would also think that the massive Jarrod Witts (207cm, 107kg) will do most of the ruckwork for NSW with Moller relieving and playing forward.

Re: Bateman - not eligible to be picked up until 2012

Thanks for the first hand info BPG. Have you seen Tom Head play also? What are your thoughts on him? Who does he play for when not with NSW Rams?

Very good size on him, hopefully he can turn into something special, if not as a forward, then as a key defender.

Really looking forward to how Moller goes in the U18 champs. First game is next Sat vs Vic Metro, will be a huge litmus test for Moller against the leading draft prospect Billy Longer. That said, Moller kicked 5 goals when he went up against Longer's Northern Knights earlier this year. One would also think that the massive Jarrod Witts (207cm, 107kg) will do most of the ruckwork for NSW with Moller relieving and playing forward.

Would Head be a starting KPP for NSW?

Are Moller and the other NSW rookie eligible to be picked up by us in this year's draft?

No because neither of them turn 18 until 2012. Moller 22/8/94 and Head 26/5/94 according to the TAC Record.

Dunno what game you were watching but St George was sending mugs up against him, nowhere near 2m and especially when he was in the forward line Mo had a clear size (ie not just height but also bulk) advantage over his opponent. Sainters are hardly a first string side anyway, but for those that didn't see the match, Craig hardly copped much attention really, and what he did get was from undersized under skilled ST George players. Craig did really well, but I think we need to moderate the expectations a little, he needs to get to the WAFL or SANFL type comps ASAP, as over here he is hardly tested at all...

I agree that Sydney footy is not that strong but he is holding his own against bigger opponents. (See link for photo against the big ruckman I was talking about before.) All Sydney clubs play some U18's in first grade but most players are over 20.

http://photos.mvettasphotography.com/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=10237#image=144562

Moller played for Sydney University versus Pennant Hills in the Sydney Premier Division. I believe this to be the highest grade amateur football in NSW. It's an open division so he was playing against men.

Named 3rd in the best's list for Saturdays game.

He's played 3 games in this league and was named BOG in the 1st game where he kicked 5 goals. He kicked 3 goals but was not named in the best players in his 2nd game.

He's only played 3 games because he has had under 18's commitments.

He plays again in the under 18's next weekend versus Tasmania.

Statistically the best ruckman on the ground vs. Tassie.

20 hitouts, 5 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 0 goals.

Very impressive for a 16 year old versus a majority of players a year older than him. Waiting for the match report to see if he's named in the bests for NSW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back