NSW State Election (28/03/2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a s**t road, no doubt. I've lived in western Sydney near my whole life, I'm well aware of how s**t it is. But what WestConnex is going to do is firstly put on a toll for what's currently a free road, and also just move the traffic issues to elsewhere (such as the Anzac Bridge, or the soon-to-be cluster**** of Newtown/St Peters).

The experience of almost all cities the world over is more roads = more cars. If we want to start fixing the roads in Sydney, we should actually get ourselves a train network people will want to catch instead of one that's been barely upgraded (and indeed been cut back from) in the last century.

The M4 was a toll road, it only became free a few years ago so its hardly that big of a deal and i'll bet my bottom dollar it will be an E-toll starting from where the extension begins. thus cheap pricks can can still take parramatta road.

anyone who's driving into town atm realises that parramatta road is the problem not because of traffic lights but the ******* schools. my trips been reduced to an hour from 1.6 the moment the schools went on holidays. that traffic is cut out for people going to the city.

as for the rail network. ten years ago we spent 20 BILLION dollars upgrading the network.
another billion "upgrading" the western line. a few million on the city circle stations (think it was 10 million on town hall alone) since the liberal were elected and all for what?

and it already costs more for people living in the west to catch trains into the city then to drive, not only would upgrading it to where it needs to be would cripple the states finances the cost of using it would mean no one would.

the alternative is privatising it like Melbourne have, yet it still sucks funds state costs more and every summer the network is crippled "due to heat" at least once. the vic's very soon will have to invest billions just to keep it running because the private firms know the government have no choice but to cover what they wont.

NSW election just become a truckload tighter and way more important for the Coalition federally than it was 24 hours ago. Whilst everyone expected Victoria to fall to the ALP, no-one but the true believers though Queensland would also fall. If Labor gets even close to winning in NSW federally it will be fatal to Abbott if he is still there and will leave a lot of Federal Coalition MPs neverous

NSW election just become a truckload tighter and way more important for the Coalition federally than it was 24 hours ago. Whilst everyone expected Victoria to fall to the ALP, no-one but the true believers though Queensland would also fall. If Labor gets even close to winning in NSW federally it will be fatal to Abbott if he is still there and will leave a lot of Federal Coalition MPs neverous
Do you really think so? It seems to me from watching his press conferences he appears more conciliatory and well liked.
The only real issue may be that he too is wanting to sell assets.

Do you really think so? It seems to me from watching his press conferences he appears more conciliatory and well liked.
The only real issue may be that he too is wanting to sell assets.
Trying to suck up to the electorate for 6 weeks after treating them with complete contempt for years is not going to be seen through by the electorate, people aren't as dumb as politicians think and Queensland has shown that.

I would actually say the opposite. QLD falling to Labor has meant the NSW election is a certain Liberal win. Especially when Abbott gets knifed in a week or two (ala: the sacrifice of a lamb to the gods).

I would actually say the opposite. QLD falling to Labor has meant the NSW election is a certain Liberal win. Especially when Abbott gets knifed in a week or two (ala: the sacrifice of a lamb to the gods).
If Abbott isn't knifed before the NSW election then it will be a hell of a lot closer than it should be.

My prediction late last year was for Labor to gain about 15 seats, to bring their total to about 35 in the new parliament. Abbott stays that number will jump another 5 or so seats. Still can't see Labor winning in NSW but if they get to 40 seats it will be a bad result for the Libs.

I would actually say the opposite. QLD falling to Labor has meant the NSW election is a certain Liberal win.

Using that logic VIC falling to Labor a couple months ago meant QLD should have stayed Liberal National.

I find all this mixing of federal and state issues to be unhelpful.

The public knows what they're voting for. The LNP lost in Queensland primarily because of their own failings. If NSW Labor manages to significantly close the gap at this election, it will be a job well done.

But the two levels of government have become inexorably linked (i.e. federal government controls the money in practice and does much more) so it's fitting the two levels are politically connected electorally. It's not fair or reasonable to expect contemporary voters to treat them as completely seperate things when they're plainly not.

But the two levels of government have become inexorably linked (i.e. federal government controls the money in practice and does much more) so it's fitting the two levels are politically connected electorally. It's not fair or reasonable to expect contemporary voters to treat them as completely seperate things when they're plainly not.

There is a link, but it is not the be all and end all it is increasingly being made out to be.

The link is more real than it's been before. And media coverage of politics is more national than it's been before (for separate reasons), reinforcing the public perception of the link.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The link is more real than it's been before. And media coverage of politics is more national than it's been before (for separate reasons), reinforcing the public perception of the link.
I think the link is more evident with the Libs telling the states, sell your assets and you will be rewarded, money is only for roads, not public transport, they dictate how money will be distributed to health and education.
It is harder to separate Federal and State funding/issues more than ever.

I think the link is more evident with the Libs telling the states, sell your assets and you will be rewarded, money is only for roads, not public transport, they dictate how money will be distributed to health and education.
It is harder to separate Federal and State funding/issues more than ever.
In NSW it's even harder to separate Federal/State donations to the Liberal Party.

Agree though, Federal politics now plays a far larger roll in the outcome of state elections than it did even 15 years ago. The reliance on GST revenue has been the key contributing factor as state governments need it to balance the books and the federal government likes to hold onto some to use for PR when giving grants for projects.

Abbott did a "Howard" and lives in Sydney, giving local media a further distraction.

I find all this mixing of federal and state issues to be unhelpful.

The public knows what they're voting for. The LNP lost in Queensland primarily because of their own failings. If NSW Labor manages to significantly close the gap at this election, it will be a job well done.

if thats true then the liberals are ****ed re: taking privatising electricity to the election. if they run with it they are are ****ed.

The fact that states have started practically begging toxic PMs to stay away when they're on the campaign trail demonstrates that the state parties believe that's the case. From memory, Vic Labor had a pre-election commercial where Napthine's head morphed into Abbott's? It's also an easy protest vote against the Federal Government, without having to wait the full term.

The fact that states have started practically begging toxic PMs to stay away when they're on the campaign trail demonstrates that the state parties believe that's the case. From memory, Vic Labor had a pre-election commercial where Napthine's head morphed into Abbott's? It's also an easy protest vote against the Federal Government, without having to wait the full term.
I think QLD Labor had a similar add with Newman/Abbott.

For those of you that live in NSW, what impact will asset sales have.
As an outside, I can't see Labor winning too many seats except of course those that they shouldn't have lost and perhaps win back some of those mentioned in the hearings.
Will the Greens pick up any seats?

regional nsw has the same problems as regional qld ,a sydney centric gov has given us cutbacks rising unemployment increased costs and little benefits ,maitland ,newcastle charlestown swansea are already lost for the libs and port stephens is doubtful ,the central coast is also unhappy so wyong has to be in doubt also . these polls have to be sydney based
http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/s...te-20-billion-infrastructure-promise/?cs=4123

It is all over in NSW. Baird is home. Plus, privatisation of assets had nothing to do with Newman's pantsing in Qld. He was smashed for being arrogant, lying and lacking any sort of listening skills. You have to at least pretend that you are listening to some of the socalled degenerates that vote for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back