NSW's best draft ever...in thanks to the academies?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the academy bidding system will exist in its current form for much longer.
I also doubt that anyone would be worrying about who Sydney drafted if it wasn't for Heeney.

Because the difference between pick 5 an pick 18 is far bigger than 25 to 38.

I'd change it so if another club bids a first round pick, the academy no longer applies. In 5 years, drop 2nd rounders, 5 more years they lose 3rd, etc.

The standard of such a competition would be far too low to produce elite talent.

So? Attach 'academy' style training to them, and you still have a better setup than you currently have.

It means 4 clubs recruited 7 players, most of whom wouldn't be playing AFL at the level that makes them draftable if it were not for the academy system.

And if the clubs weren't part of that, what would change?

I do understand the objections to the draft concessions but they are just one part of the equation. A small part, in my view. Not everyone shares that view, but after the first handful of players each year (and I do mean a very small handful) there's not a huge correlation between those who succeed and those who don't. The draft distortion issue is far smaller than some would have you believe. The other side is increasing the total talent pool to the benefit of every side in the competition.

Considering how loud Sydney fans squealed about not being able to trade until they get down to 'only' use COLA-lite, and this is a far bigger distortion.

At what point will they be?

Sydney used 3/4 picks on academy players this year...Surely that says something?

Lets say in 10 years time, Brisbane uses all it's picks on academy players, all of which were bid for in the first round by other clubs. Wouldn't you agree that was distorting the draft?

My point is, at what point do we agree that the benefits (development) are no longer worth the cost (draft distortion)?

The other side of the coin is the more NSW and QLD players the 4 Northern clubs pick the less Southern players they draft !.

Only when those northern players are higher rated...

How often are the ratings right, a player who has played 2nd Divi under 18's at the Nationals can look a world beater but middle of the road in divi 1.

IMO the system is ATM producing results, if the academies go, we will then return to a point where plenty more southern state boys move north lessening the overall talent pool.

How often are the ratings right, a player who has played 2nd Divi under 18's at the Nationals can look a world beater but middle of the road in divi 1.

IMO the system is ATM producing results, if the academies go, we will then return to a point where plenty more southern state boys move north lessening the overall talent pool.

They're right more often than they're wrong....

Who is calling for them to go? Attach the academies to the NEAFL clubs ( 5 of the 7 came from NEAFL clubs anyway, as did several other players...like Cockatoo & Weller) and get the AFL clubs out of it.

They're right more often than they're wrong....

Who is calling for them to go? Attach the academies to the NEAFL clubs ( 5 of the 7 came from NEAFL clubs anyway, as did several other players...like Cockatoo & Weller) and get the AFL clubs out of it.

I think being attached to the clubs attracts kids and has prestige to it, i am not averse to all clubs having academies

Irrelevant.

It means that the players that clubs got priority access to = the number of players drafted from WA.

How would you feel if West Coast and Freo had priority access to WA players?

WA picks: 4, 15, 19, 34, 43, 60, 68, 76, 84
Academy picks (using the bids as value): 2, 15, 32, 33, 35, 71, 85

More top and middle talent for WA. More marginal options for the academies. Total numbers are being used to distort this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do Sydney have an academy when they are a very successful club? They are able to select arguably the best player in the draft with pick 18. Sydney's academy needs to stop.

As an Eagles supporter I will admit I'm a bit more than annoyed that the expansion clubs have pretty much gutted the elite talent out of WA since the Suns started whilst the Swans / Lions are allowed access to a state full of kids and first dibs on any gem they uncover.
There were multiple years of GWS taking the players out of NSW before they came in.
Why do Sydney have an academy when they are a very successful club? They are able to select arguably the best player in the draft with pick 18. Sydney's academy needs to stop.
Because it isn't linked to the success of clubs.

There were multiple years of GWS taking the players out of NSW before they came in.

Because it isn't linked to the success of clubs.

It is linked to the success of clubs. The AFL wants to grow the game in NSW and QLD and it's pretty obvious that propping up those clubs with advantages such as COLA and academies will help those club become and stay successful.

COLA and the academies are marketing tools the AFL use. It's just unfortunate and unfair if you are one of the other 14 clubs who don't get anything close to that sort of assistance.

Looks like the AFL has taken note of fans concerns about the integrity of the game. The AFL conducted market research last year and were surprised to find that the unfair nature of the draw, COLA and other factors that make the AFL a compromised competition was high on the list of what concerned fans.

Demetriou pushed these advantages and now they are being pulled back, none too soon either.

Irrelevant.

It means that the players that clubs got priority access to = the number of players drafted from WA.

I would love to see a fair zone for all teams where zoned players are treated like father son picks.

It's been repeated and pointed out so many times, but comparing a zone that takes in NSW north coast and eastern Sydney to the WAFL is absolutely moronic. Comparing the Eagles putting money into the WAFC who then use part of it on development to Sydney redeveloping the entire junior pathway into the AFL, including overseeing the coaches, infrastructure, and financing is moronic.

It's been repeated and pointed out so many times, but comparing a zone that takes in NSW north coast and eastern Sydney to the WAFL is absolutely moronic. Comparing the Eagles putting money into the WAFC who then use part of it on development to Sydney redeveloping the entire junior pathway into the AFL, including overseeing the coaches, infrastructure, and financing is moronic.

Not really.

Either all clubs should have zones or no clubs should have zones.

And the AFL should fork out all the money from the academies.

Either all clubs should have zones or no clubs should have zones.
Sure everyone gets a zone. The Eagles can have Sydney's North Coast zone and Sydney can take half of the WAFL, because that's fair and there's no difference between them.

And the AFL should fork out all the money from the academies.
Yeah great. In depth, thoughtful solution. Well done.

If they are all treated like father son then it's fair. I'd also say that it means that if two club bid for two players in your academy prior to your first pick you'll have to chose which one you want.

If they are all treated like father son then it's fair. I'd also say that it means that if two club bid for two players in your academy prior to your first pick you'll have to chose which one you want.

And means there is no incentive for any of the clubs to put money into the system.

Note: all for AFL funding and having a free drafting system. Just have to be less NSW scholarship more academy style in terms of development pathways

Remove this Banner Ad

Back