Opinion Nth watching and experiences in Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest footy trip I've been on by far. Although, I've only previously gone to Manuka Oval and also the SCG.

Funny you mention it, I'm about to upload a video of my trip to youtube tonight.

Anyway, I stayed a block away from Blundstone Arena (40 second walk! :D), 3 minute walk from shops and a pub. But, the best stuff is on the other side of town. Across the massive bridge will take you to the city, which is fantastic. The pubs in hobart are sublime. Big fireplaces, great atmosphere, brilliant beer ad fantastic food. Unlike Melbourne, the streets of Hobart on a Saturday night are quiet and you feel a lot more safe than you would on spencer st at 2am.

There was nothing bad about it IMO. Flew with Jetstar for $120 return, and it's only about a 75 minute flight each way. All I packed in my bag was spray jacket, coat, camera, iPad, wallet and was more than enough luggage IMO.

10/10. I will be going about every second year. Brilliant experience, and unlike Sydney, Perth etc., it doesn't hurt the wallet that much.
you should have caught the water taxi from the pub at Bellerive quay to Salamanca, it only costs about $10

I went with a bunch of mates to the WCE game about 11 of us all up, had an absolute ball (aside from the final result). We stayed near Salamanca. We hired a guy with a mini van that picked us up at the airport, then from the hotel to go to the game the next day and back again, and then back to the airport the day after. We went to MONA was well worth it. All the locals were friendly. We just stood on the hill for the game but that was really good. Weather was good, a bit cool.

In contrast the next year we went to the Gold Coast, similar deal but the general population up there at the pubs are a bunch of campaigners, it rained and was more expensive. The game was a massive disappointment and I cracked the shits.

HAH, just heard on the radio theres a massive crackdown going on because people have been hiring minivans and giving unauthorised/unlicensed tours erc.

I spent three years at uni down in Hobart and had an absolutely awesome time. In those days, Fitzroy were playing home games at North Hobart Oval and I got along to a few of them. Due to the passage of time and the excess consumption of alcohol on game days, I don't have many clear memories of the games. However, a few highlights:
  • Full strength beer and negligible queues at the drink stands.
  • Some drunken dude invading the ground and joining the dancers in the pre-game entertainment before Roys v Hawks. Hilarious.
  • Darren Jarman kicking five in the first quarter of the above game.
  • Doc Wheildon kicking the most amazing soccer goal from about 40m out pressed hard up against the boundary.
I've just booked my flights down for the Richmond game in May. Can't wait.
Can i ask how you booked them See See? I've just started the process of organising the trip for myself and a few mates and can't find any tickets through the ticketing outlets. Travel packages including tickets are also evading me! :(

are tickets available yet as ive booked flights and accommadation. keeping an eye on ticketech seen nothing
I havent heard anything yet.

Can i ask how you booked them See See? I've just started the process of organising the trip for myself and a few mates and can't find any tickets through the ticketing outlets. Travel packages including tickets are also evading me! :(
I assume you mean match tickets, not flights. I haven't got match tickets yet as they don't appear to be on sale.

From my knowledge no match tickets are available yet.

From experience and in reverse going to Melb over many years, it's best to organise the trip (Flights, Spirit, accom' or whatever) and when given the green light on tickets go from there to get the best result for your circumstances knowing everything else is in order at better rates (usually).

Pros : all ugly and over 60 (sammy remember Lindy - thats an in joke folks)
Cons : worst strip joint in history

seriously been a few times to watch the footy and it is a beautiful place. Love it.

I assume you mean match tickets, not flights. I haven't got match tickets yet as they don't appear to be on sale.
Tickets are available if bought in a package. My mate organised ours yesterday, $580 including reserved seats, return flights from Melbourne, 2 nights at local Travelodge. Most of that cost is flights.

Can't wait!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been going down to Tassie every year since 2009 we upgraded to Tassie add on so we have reserved seating and have only missed 1 match, it helps that we have a good friend who we stay with a k and a half from the ground.

Pro's: all the things listed only i haven't been to the Cascade Brewery or a strip joint (yet), plus where else in Australia can you take your fishing rod to a match and at half time walk a 100mtrs to a beautiful beach catch a couple of flatties and be back in time for the 3rd q kick off???? Also a unique feature of the Tassie crowds is the number of people kitted out in other clubs colours, they are so starved for footy you can see most clubs represented on match day.

Cons: cost of getting there, we have flown most times and i would recommend this if you're blitzing however try and get a couple of days either side to explore Hobart and surrounds, we have boated 3 time (2 adults 1 kid) and the cost is comparative to flying if like us you need a cabin, it's like the airlines and Spirit get together and work out their pricing to more or less match each other, I have found Tiger to be cheapest option.

Other great spots Clifton Beach, Strahan on the West Coast, The Pub in a Paddock and the butchers at Bicheno (Sir Loin) best cuts of meat and selection of game meats and terrine's, smoked meats etc, he will cryovac pack and send to you a truly great thing to come home to, especially if North have won!

Really good write up there danj

Good luck with the strip joint idea. There is only one and it's pretty average... (so I've been told I mean! :oops: )

Any recommendations for getting to/from ground from downtown Hobart?

Planning on returning the hire car the day before thinking I wont need it in Hobart.

Planning on returning the hire car the day before thinking I wont need it in Hobart.

The ferry from Salamanca/Hobart waterfront to Bellerive is a great option. If like a beer its even better as it lands you right at a very popular pub before the game and short walk to Blundstone.

Or go via Cab but traffic then can be an issue (but at least get drop off close which you won't in a car).

Hiring a car is a bad idea all ways for mine for match day, but outside that it's an excellent idea to see the sights.

Cracking place to go for a game of footy and a weekend away. Hobart in winter has a really nice feel to it. As others have mentioned it's a great capital city.

I've only been the once when the Swans pumped us a couple of years back but would go again for sure. I'll get the boat that Saintly mentioned next time.

Everything is great although the Salamanca Markets don't do it for me - but admittedly I despise markets as a general rule.

Hopefully Matt Goggin builds the planned golf course at 7 Mile Beach in the next few years. From all reports based on the land it could be exceptional.

The ferry from Salamanca/Hobart waterfront to Bellerive is a great option. If like a beer its even better as it lands you right at a very popular pub before the game and short walk to Blundstone.

Locked in, cheers mate.

They run free buses on match day from the center of Hobart (and various other places) to the ground.
If driving, you can also park and ride from those various places around Hobart.
Before the game - very regular, well organised service.
After the game - barely organised chaos (not really surprising with everyone leaving at the same time).

Pro tip - if parking at the Cenotaph/Regatta Grounds, make sure you get back to your car before they lock gate.
One time we stayed for the after match function....all the buses had stopped by then, so had to get a taxi. Then we discovered we couldn't get the car out of the park, so had to go cross-country to get back onto a road.

Hobart strikes me as the sort of town where if you did go to a strip joint you'd find you knew the mums of half the girls. Awkward.

Yeah, sort of. Or that it's the mums doing the dancing, who knows......ha

I'm heading down via King Island (Cape Wickham GC) and Bridport (Barnbougle & Lost Farm)

Should be wonderful, again.

Yep, those who come by boat are well worth fitting in a game at Barnbougle.

Bit of a drive and not on the way, but worth it plus then can go down East Coast to Hobart to take in the sights. Just means leaving a day earlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back