Number 17 - Hayden Ballantyne (pick 21 2008 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Number TBA - Hayden Ballantyne (pick 21 2008)

BALLANTYNE%20Hayden_104px.jpg

PT have honoured Ballantyne with his own wing at Rushton Park...

http://www.wafootball.com.au/wafl/1089-thunder-honours-ballantyne

Thunder honours Ballantyne
Wednesday, 29 April 2009 10:36

ballantynewing-200px.jpg

PEEL Thunder honoured star goal sneak Hayden Ballantyne last fortnight when the Hayden Ballantyne wing was unveiled at Rushton Park.

Ballantyne, pictured with his grandfather Keith Ballantyne at the official opening on Sunday, April 19 before Thunder’s clash with reigning premiers Subiaco, was recognized after winning the 2008 Sandover Medal with 41 votes ahead of West Perth’s Callum Chambers with 39.

He became the second Peel Thunder player to win the Medal, following on from Allistair Pickett in 2002. Pickett then won the Medal again playing with Subiaco in 2004.

Ballantyne was the 100th recipient of the medal and had his name etched in history along some of the most recent winners when an engraved paver was laid in his honour along Haydn Bunton Drive on Sandover Medal Walk.

Now he also has the far wing named in his honour at Rushton Park too.

I'm pretty sure he had one of those velcro casts on last night on the news.

Are you talking about where he was running in shorts without a shirt?

Because that was from Pre-season training by the looks of it, i thought they used the same tape. AFAIK i have seen that footage heaps when they mention him.

Disposal/Decision making – Kicking 7/10, Handballing 7/10

- Uses both feet

Hands – 9/10- VERY clean hands in most situations

- ‘vacuum cleaner’ like pick-ups at pace
Work-ethic – Offensive 8/10, Defensive 8/10
- Applies high quality defensive pressure I50 - keeps the ball locked in

- Hard hitting tackler – chases opponents down well with very good closing speed

- Works hard to get into position to receive the ball through the midfield

Footy nous/Ball-winning ability – Footy Nous 7/10, Ballwinning ability 7.5/10
- Doesn’t have a heap of tricks stemming from above the shoulders compared to other small forwards - mostly relies on raw power and explosiveness

- Decent all-round ball winner
- Very good in 1-1 situations

- More outside than in - will go in if he can come out with it the other side (not a big handballer), otherwise tends to play a bit off pack and look for the HBR

Goal Kicking Ability – 9/10

- Very good goal kicker on the run and pushes forward very effectively from the midfield/flanks

- Will probably feature in a lot of highlight reels

Athleticism – 8.5/10
- Very good power athlete

- Very quick off the mark (2.94s 20m at 2008 WA SS) – uses it very well to break away on the lead and run and carry through lines

- Good evasive skills

- Has developed a good engine (ran 13.2 at 2008 WA SS, best of 15.2)

- Very well balanced and strong through the core too - can stand up in and break through tackles.

Aerial ability – 8.5/10

Versatility – 7/10
- Ability to play any of HFF/FP/wing/midfield

Most of those above would be for a Solid midfielder i would think? Surely he can be a goal kicking foward with stints in the midfield?

An hour or so before the AFL teams are named and we find out if he is playing or not :)

Most of those above would be for a Solid midfielder i would think? Surely he can be a goal kicking foward with stints in the midfield?

He probably could play through the midfield for short stints, not sure why you would want him to though.

He probably could play through the midfield for short stints, not sure why you would want him to though.

Just adds a bow to his string, ala Leon Davis (although probably wont be anywhere near as good.... yet ;)), and would give us more depth through the middle espically with Crowley, Palmer and now Hayden out for the season we may as well give him a shot. :thumbsu:

Just adds a bow to his string, ala Leon Davis (although probably wont be anywhere near as good.... yet ;)), and would give us more depth through the middle espically with Crowley, Palmer and now Hayden out for the season we may as well give him a shot. :thumbsu:

String to his bow? ;)

I guess my point was - this was certainly the case at Peel - he's a 70 goal a year forward in a senior competition, why not let him do his thing? That same argument could be applied to Pavlich as well I guess, he HAD to play in the midfield though whereas Balla doesn't.

I'm certainly not against him playing through the midfield, he just offers a hell of a lot more in the forward line. Besides, I reckon we've got enough midfielders on our list to develop without turning our FP into one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

String to his bow? ;)

I guess my point was - this was certainly the case at Peel - he's a 70 goal a year forward in a senior competition, why not let him do his thing? That same argument could be applied to Pavlich as well I guess, he HAD to play in the midfield though whereas Balla doesn't.

I'm certainly not against him playing through the midfield, he just offers a hell of a lot more in the forward line. Besides, I reckon we've got enough midfielders on our list to develop without turning our FP into one.

Yea that one! :eek:

There is no need to "develop" him into a midfielder, what i am saying is just let him have little stints in the middle because he apparently did that in the year he kicked 70 goals. So obviously it didnt hurt his goal potency :)

And as i said earlier without Palmer and Crowley it just allows the main midfield group to have an extra hand if needed. And say we get another injury during the game. It allows us to change up the structure a little which is always handy. :)

No need to push Frodo to hard. Let him kick the goals....

Bring in Walters if we want to a small forward that will go into the midfield.

A young gun named Hayden Ballantyne,
To play had waited quite a long time.
His drafting caused debate,
In the order - not very late.
But I'm sure on the field he will shine.

Hello Freo faithful

Being a peel supportr i was at the game today and must say Ballas looked as though he hadnt been out for 10 weeks or so at all - Looked as though he hadnt missed a game at all.

And yes he did pick up a corky late in the game - May put him in some doubt for next week - Heres hoping for Peel's sake that he doesnt line up for Freo and plays for peel again ;)

I had never seen HB play before Saturday apart from a couple of highlight reels. Now I see why we picked him up and why he won a sandover - he is a class way above the wafl. He certainly looks like a ready made afl player who will make a genuine impact. And that was his first game this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back