Number 45 - Hamish Shepheard (Pick 34 2008 RD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Number TBA - Hamish Shepheard (Pick 34 RD)

Quick profile on HShep:

If he makes it I think it will be as a rangy tall utility that can play back / fwd in 3rd tall roles and even run through the middle for surprise factor. Doesn't have either the strength or athleticism to hold down a KPD or KPF position.

+

Hands clean at ground level
Good ethic and courage
Good user by hand and sound by foot
Sound aerially
Can play both ends of ground effectively (has kicked a few big bags for EP colts)

-

Lacks athleticism (although doesn't seem near as bad on-field as SS results suggest)
Lacks strength
Doesn't get much of the footy
Seems smaller on-field than he's listed

Some others thoughts:

Norman Ross:
47 - St Kilda Hamish Shepheard – An East Perth product who can play at either end. A touch under 190cm, Shepheard was invited to the SS by two clubs, one was the saints, the other, Im not sure. Another of these players that can play as an undersized KP. I think he’ll move into the midfield in the bigtime.

Snoop Dog:

# 16 Hawthorn – Hamish Shepherd (East perth / 194 / 81)

Terrific potential in this kid. Played at champs and can play a variety of positions but is typically fwd. Moves across the ground and at his size offers clubs a lot of potential coverage in positions. Strong overhead and takes the game on as well. Skills are good and will be keen to see his development.

Sico 17:

KPP kicked 7 goals against South Fremantle, then played well as the WA FB in the U18's competition. Then came back to the East Perth colts team and kicked 5 goals from FF against league leaders Perth in the final round. Was close to a league debut in the final round but missed out due to a few club stalwarts playing their last game. Unknown by most but has perfect height for a KPP 195cm.

Hamish Shepheard (EP) - KPP. Good height and can play all 4 KP.

Shepheard is a versatile tall. Played FB for the U18 team this year but can go forward like he did today (he kicked 4)

Match Reports:

Hamish Shepheard was solid at FB.

think Hamish Shepheard played FB (I should have taken some notes). If it was him he did OK in the marking contests but his opponent wasn't flash either.

Shepheard (CHB/FB) – I thought he did a solid job down back. He moves nicely for a big man and provided some good rebound of the backline in the 2nd half (him and Duncan seem to work well as a team). Genuine KPP height too. The WA coach mentioned he was very happy with his game as he thought he did some good jobs on a couple of the VC forwards.

2008 WA SS results:

193.8cm
81.2kg
54.7mm S7 skinfolds
82.5cm arm length
255cm absolute reach
22.7cm handspan
58cm standing VJ (72cm and 70cm running VJ)
1.17s/1.92s/3.17s (5/10/20m splits)
9.11s agility
11.10 beep test

Statistics:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...S&pID=188981421&client=1-4824-0-72735-8896973

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...D=188584483&client=1-2393-21518-64558-4374296

Code:
NAB AFL Under 18 Championships
Team 	Mt 	K 	HB 	D 	M 	HO 	T 	G
W.A. 	4 	1.3 	3.3 	4.5 	0.5 	0.0 	0.5 	0.

New profile pic:

SHEPHEARDHamish_246a.jpg

I've tried doing some research and get some WAFL stats on my buddy, but I can't find any info/stats on him at all!

I'm guessing he's injured at the moment and isn't getting a run in the EP colts/reserves.

Injury List as of 22 April from fremantlefc.com.au

Hayden Ballantyne - Wrist - 3 weeks
Andrew Browne - Shoulder - 3 Weeks
Greg Broughton - Ankle - test
Ben Bucovaz - Hip - 3 Weeks
Brent Connelly - Hip - 3 Weeks
Des Headland - Calf - 2 Weeks
Chris Mayne - Ankle - 3 - 4 Weeks
Brock O'Brien - Quad - 3 Weeks
Tim Ruffles - Concussion - 1 Week

Not named on the injury list, a bit of a worry?

A "Shepherd" was named in the East Perth colts, is this him? OP says "Shepheard", maybe a typo on the WAFL website?

Played last week in the East Perth reserves team. Well beaten in defence and looks a long way off at the moment.

Just had a quick look at the stats from Saturdays game of EP vs Swans where he played in the league side:

5 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 2 I50, and kicked 1 point.

He was playing ressies last week, good for him to get a run with the league side.

What was his game like...anyone??

Just going by his stats...that was his best game so far.
9k 4h 13d 2m 0t 1g 4pts.

Had a few opportunities by the looks of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look in the WAFL performances thread for some more info on his game as it was shown on ABC.

I was watching and was impressed with his game. He went hard at the ball but is skinny as a rake.

He was quiet in the first half but was really good in the second and became East Perth's focus point in attack and as you can see he kicked 1 goal 4.

Hopefully the endevaour he showed in the second half against West perth can be carried over this week and he keeps it up.

He hasn't been getting alot of it, but from what I've seen he has a good leep and a very good strong pair of hands.

He's developed well this year, so hopefully he can continue to do so, so that he can be in line for a promotion in 12 months time when his rookie status will expire.

Hi guys

Anyone know where Hamish is at?

I saw Scott giving him a big wrap on TV a few weeks ago but he hasn't played since. I've sen him a few times and he certainly has some ability, just doesn't seem to stay in the game as much as one would like.

Then again, tall players usually take a bit more time.

Given our lack of talls Hamish and Houghton are players Freo will be desperate to make the grade.

He's been injured the last few weeks I think?

The few times I've seen him play this year I couldn't believe how much he's improved. Watching him last year he seemed to have very little impact on games and I figured he would just serve out his contract and then disappear into the wilderness without a whimper, but this year he's actually starting to look like a possible AFL-quality tall in the making.

I reckon he'll definitely be kept on the list for next year given our lack of talls and if he can keep up his rate of improvement I'm fairly optimistic about his chances of making it.

I thought he was impressive last year???

Agreed that he doesn't involve himself in the game at all times but when he did last year he showed real talent particularly his pack marking and his mobility. Got to put it in perspective a bit like Houghton atm, they're only young and their bodies are still developing as are their games. Skinny tall kids just can't out muscle seasoned WAFL players at the age of 18 or even 19 unless they're either 198cm+ or outstandingly talented. Give him time.

Nice return on the weekend 14 touches, 5 marks and 3 goals straight. Has played well up forward this year with 10 goals from 6 games - developing nicely, hopefully will continue

Yeah, caught a bit of the Royals vs NT game on the weekend on Foxtel. Kid just doesn't have any presence about him, despite being a decent size.

At the end of the day he has a massive advantage in being a full-time footballer, training at an AFL club and to not make much headway in 3 years is pretty damning.

Better options out there. Maybe chuck him back for the last half of the year and see if he can turn his form around in the backline as a last resort.

Sorry for the random bump of this thread, but couldnt find anywhere else to really put this and thought you guys might like to know how Shepheard is going these days. He's playing for Sandringham and he is feature of our latest interview on True Zebras. He had little bit to say about his time at Fremantle.

It is hard to believe that Hamish Shepheard is only 22. Shepheard is still young in football terms but he already has had a roller-coaster football life.

He has been a rookie listed player at AFL club Fremantle and then tried to find another calling when the cards came crashing down. But Shepheard is determined and he is now one of the leaders of Sandringham.

When Shepheard walked into Trevor Barker Beach Oval for the very first time in early 2012, he knew he had a chance to make a big impact. Born and raised in Western Australia, this was Shepheard’s first interstate club and he has “thoroughly enjoyed” his time at Sandringham.

“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Zebs and I think it’s improved me as a football player coming to the VFL,” Shepheard told True Zebras.

Shepheard was selected at pick 35 in the 2008 National Rookie draft and unfortunately could not meet the demands of AFL football. He explained that if he had his time again, that he would not over-train.

“I think the most important thing I’ve learnt since being away from the club is to learn to listen to your body and not just to train [all the time] … Because at the end of the day it puts you further behind and you miss games.”

He admits that he over did it. He pushed himself to the limits and his body could not handle the rigours of the big league. But Shepheard is a changed man.

You can read entire article here - http://truezebras.net/2013/06/25/shepheard-the-inspiring-young-leader/

Sorry for the random bump of this thread, but couldnt find anywhere else to really put this and thought you guys might like to know how Shepheard is going these days. He's playing for Sandringham and he is feature of our latest interview on True Zebras. He had little bit to say about his time at Fremantle.

It's funny that you mention that. I was thinking about our 2008 draft last night and I knew Hamish was a WA boy, but I hadn't heard his name mentioned at WAFL level. I would've loved to have known how some of our past players might have turned out if they had a decent coach at the helm like Lyon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back