Number 5 (was 35) - Garrick Ibbotson (pick 26 2005 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think has been playing a bit more forward these last couple rounds. So I think Fyfe could slot right in and have a much larger effect than Ibbo.

Nothing's been said yet, but Ibbo's gone up a gear in the last month. It's been fantastic to see the improvement in his play both at half back and in the middle. We look a much better team with him getting his hands on the footy and distributing well.

Looks like he has found his place at half back. Appears to find it a hell of alot easier to run to where the ball is going, rather than creating ways for himself to get it. Hopefully he can continue to improve.

I took special note of his positioning in the backline a few times on Saturday... he and Roger gave Franklin and Roughead absolutely nowhere to go by covering the space in front of them on the short side and in the corridor. It was really intelligent play and they worked it especially well together.

Yeah, he was excellent on the weekend. Made one blue that resulted in Franklin's first goal, but that was it.

The back six worked especially well - I thought Roberton was good down there as well.

Would have to agree he has found his spot down back. Not afraid to run back with the flight of the ball either to cut off a lead or intercept a pass. Playing a very similar role to that of Nick Maxwell at Collingwood, his marking of late has been very impressive. Still a bit casual and lacks awareness at times though.

Ibbotson is the new Mundy.

Was much maligned in his first few years for inconsistant performaces, not going hard enough etc.

I think Ibbotson will have a break out year next year and will be very important for our future going forward.
I agree. Thought his second half of the year was pretty awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've bagged the absolute s**t out of Ibbo in the past, but I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say he'll be in the running for AA next year. Crazy statement I know.

I don't think he'll ever be intense at the ball or contest like others, but he's starting to float around the back 50 ala McPharlin. A bit more drive out of the back half and he'll be at the next level.

If he can keep his awareness up and minimise getting caught with the ball he'll be cementing his spot for years to come. I've loved watching him mop up in defence lately, marking the ball unmanned, but I still cringe when he's running it out of the backline because I know it's likely someone's gonna come from just outside the TV frame and bring him down from behind.. :eek:

Been good for you blokes this year from the small amount of games I have seen. Has taken him a while to mature as a player a bit, but is a solid runner off half back now

Kicking and decision making continually lets him down, his actual defending skills have greatly improved though. Wouldn't rate his season any better than a c+.

He's up and down. At times his kicking can be as good as Mundy's, then he tries too hard and stuffs it up, or doesn't communicate kicking out from fullback. I still think he is a good player for us.

He is a bit like Mundy was a few years back, people are giving him s**t and not really taking full notice of the work he does, only noticing the negatives.

I'm with Brades. He's a good player for us who's only going to get better. He does a lot of good work off half back that people are unwilling to give him credit for because of his odd stuff-ups.

That ankle injury was a big blow, otherwise this would have been his breakout season imo. That's my big tip for next year - Ibbo to break out and take a step up in AFL rankings.

Re: Number 35 - Garrick Ibbotson

Remember when Ibbo was drafted, and there were scores of posters who were pissed off because we took this unknown scrawny kid when Andrew Swallow was still available.... :eek:

Hands up who would still prefer to have Swallow over Ibbo.... ;) :thumbsdown: :D

Sorry IP, couldn't help but bump this post though :p

2-3 brain farts a week. That cost us goals.

He loosens the knot on the balloon. And the air comes rushing out.

Collingwood and Geelong have players that make mistakes. They don't carry players that do the same s**t week after week.

I would expect any player to make the odd brain fart when they're taking 10-15 kick in's a game, aswell as their usual posessions and contests.

He's one of our best defenders.

2-3 brain farts a week. That cost us goals.

He loosens the knot on the balloon. And the air comes rushing out.

At least he's part of the knot. He cuts off a lot of attacks coming in to halfback.

Whereas Duffield (who is his direct competitor as the 'loose attacking' halfback imo) has been playing like a little kid standing off to the side waiting for an adult to hand him the balloon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back