NXT Discussion Thread (On FOX8, Kayo and Binge)

Remove this Banner Ad

the main event was quality. Crowd chanting for Owens, Owens trash talking Riley while beating him up, the lawn dart into the crowd fence (which was in my mind the whole show because it had exposed concrete underneath it, wasn't sure they'd let anyone go anywhere near it) and the final stomp on Riley when KO was running away.

Just awesome

Just watched a 3 min highlight video of the main event. They need to use this arena/studio much more often. The stage and high walls where the barricades are could make for some awesome spots.

Pretty great episode. Owens killing it and like the extra build up for balor v Owens. Be interesting to see what they do with Riley next - hope he continues on. Loved the big cas match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched a 3 min highlight video of the main event. They need to use this arena/studio much more often. The stage and high walls where the barricades are could make for some awesome spots.

Obviously it's dictated by how the fixed structures at the actual venue is configured already, I really liked that look/set-up much more than the set-up they have at Full Sail.

BTW, does anyone really see that many of these NXT guys actually making it on the main roster over the next couple of years? Short of a mass exodus/sacking/retirements, and a drastic shift in how TV time is used, I just don't see that many actual spots opening up on the main roster.

I suppose then the question is, does this even matter? Is NXT the "ceiling" for a lot of these guys, and is the international exposure, and job security and paycheck they get from being on the brand "good enough" for their talents? And will WWE simply be happy to have an effective, interesting third show with experienced talent mixing with newer guys?

By the sounds of it HHH doesn't want NXT to be thought of as developmental anymore, but as a new brand. He wants to suck the indies dry so that WWE will own their own alternative brand and he hopes to see it grow more and more. It's an interesting discussion that can be had about that, NXT will become an indie supershow of sorts and feature the best of the best, which I certainly don't mind. What does bother me is the WWE getting the best wrestlers from all the other promotions and getting rid of the little competition they have.

BTW, does anyone really see that many of these NXT guys actually making it on the main roster over the next couple of years? Short of a mass exodus/sacking/retirements, and a drastic shift in how TV time is used, I just don't see that many actual spots opening up on the main roster.

Owens/Finn/Zayn/Sasha/Neville will for mine, how much success they have is another issue because they could well get a farting gimmick or some bullshit like that. As far as a mass exodus, just look at the amount of older guys getting significant TV time at the moment, there will be a pretty significant hole there in the near future.

Sting/HHH/Taker/Kane/Henry/Big Show/Goldust are all getting old, some could go on for a while longer, or all of them could be gone within the next 2-3 years.

Brock is also a ticking time bomb as far as how long he stays as well.

What does bother me is the WWE getting the best wrestlers from all the other promotions and getting rid of the little competition they have.

Could just be a recognition that producing new 'Superstars' from scratch in their own development territory isn't the only means of sourcing talent. There once was a time where everyone was trained and came out outside of WWE before making it there. Triple H probably recognises that a balance is needed, and doesn't see why the best talents outside the WWE shouldn't pass through their doors at some stage during their career.

Could just be a recognition that producing new 'Superstars' from scratch in their own development territory isn't the only means of sourcing talent. There once was a time where everyone was trained and came out outside of WWE before making it there. Triple H probably recognises that a balance is needed, and doesn't see why the best talents outside the WWE shouldn't pass through their doors at some stage during their career.
I hope that's what it is. There's a lot of great guys from the indies that WWE has passed up over the years. However a lot of WWE creations have been pretty good, guys like Kurt Angle for example, so a balance certainly is needed.

My problem with this is nothing to do with the indies - it's to do with the wrestlers themselves.

It's becoming increasingly clearer that NXT isn't a developmental, it's their own inhouse indy promotion. They're running "king of the indies" with much better production than any indy fed.

Which would be fine - IF they're being upfront with the wrestlers they're bringing in. I suspect this isn't the case. I suspect all these guys are being brought in on "developmental" deals for a promotion (NXT) that is no longer a development; I suspect they're being brought in thinking that if they work hard and do well, they'll make it to Raw, when increasingly this is not looking like the case.

If they had a place for Tyler Breeze, they'd have brought him in by now rather than giving Miz big elements of his gimmick. If they were going to use Zayn, how much more do they need to see after nearly 2 years in NXT?

I'm sure some will make the cross over. But it won't be the case that all the guys in NXT that deserve a bigger platform will necessarily get it.

For the first time in the history of wrestling, I think it'd be a good time to have ovaries. The woman in NXT have a much better chance of promotion given their ability, given the holes in the 'diva' roster, and given they've apparently listened to the 'give divas a chance' push.

By the sounds of it HHH doesn't want NXT to be thought of as developmental anymore, but as a new brand.

how can they grow as a developmental brand if they're constantly taping in the one location/building every 4 weeks? best to get the performers on the road to work in front of different crowds.

how can they grow as a developmental brand if they're constantly taping in the one location/building every 4 weeks? best to get the performers on the road to work in front of different crowds.
That's exactly what they're starting to do. Last week's ep was in Columbus, OH (along with another show in Cleveland). This week they're doing a show in front of 5000+ in San Jose.

My problem with this is nothing to do with the indies - it's to do with the wrestlers themselves.

It's becoming increasingly clearer that NXT isn't a developmental, it's their own inhouse indy promotion. They're running "king of the indies" with much better production than any indy fed.

Which would be fine - IF they're being upfront with the wrestlers they're bringing in. I suspect this isn't the case. I suspect all these guys are being brought in on "developmental" deals for a promotion (NXT) that is no longer a development; I suspect they're being brought in thinking that if they work hard and do well, they'll make it to Raw, when increasingly this is not looking like the case.

If they had a place for Tyler Breeze, they'd have brought him in by now rather than giving Miz big elements of his gimmick. If they were going to use Zayn, how much more do they need to see after nearly 2 years in NXT?

I'm sure some will make the cross over. But it won't be the case that all the guys in NXT that deserve a bigger platform will necessarily get it.

I think most guys would be realistic and not just see that it's going to be a straight climb up the ladder. Even if they never make the main roster, and the overall payoffs in financial terms may be less that if they were doing the indy and Japanese circuits, the lifestyle (not having to be on the road all the time) and security (set location, contract, big stable parent company, training facility) of the NXT set-up is probably just as big a thing for a lot of these guys, especially those with families like Kevin Owens.

Regardless of how WWE sees the system though, I was questioning earlier whether there's even going to be a pathway due to sheer numbers. Even with the older names that Jack Package mentioned earlier possibly coming to an end, I can't see that many of the NXT guys filling the main roster, unless there's a real re-assessment of how TV time is being used (how much f**king time do you want to fill with re-caps every damn show?!?!?!) and a change in philosophy on what new content fills the time too (booking variations of the same matches for a month straight on TV).

Personally, I think they have too many people on both the main roster and in NXT, and I think they could easily trim a bunch from each set and not really lose a thing quality-wise.

For the first time in the history of wrestling, I think it'd be a good time to have ovaries. The woman in NXT have a much better chance of promotion given their ability, given the holes in the 'diva' roster, and given they've apparently listened to the 'give divas a chance' push.

Again, I'm doubtful just due to numbers and how TV time is used, but we'll see. Personally, I don't give a s**t about the Divas, but I'm happy for them to get a chance and to change my mind and make me interested in what they're doing, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back