Ovens and King Football League 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll admit I'm not fully across the way the points system works, I understand the idea behind the longer someone has played at one club the less they impact the points. Makes sense. What about premiership winners? Does that impact? Because the sides at the top have a strong core of guys that have played a few seasons so won't be worth that much....Glenrowan for instance have quite a few who have played in the last three grand final appearances in a row.

If the result has no impact then it won't do much for equalising as the clubs that want to recruit a substantial number of say 5 or 6 or more will only be hurt by it....

I'll admit I'm not fully across the way the points system works, I understand the idea behind the longer someone has played at one club the less they impact the points. Makes sense. What about premiership winners? Does that impact? Because the sides at the top have a strong core of guys that have played a few seasons so won't be worth that much....Glenrowan for instance have quite a few who have played in the last three grand final appearances in a row.

If the result has no impact then it won't do much for equalising as the clubs that want to recruit a substantial number of say 5 or 6 or more will only be hurt by it....

Yeah that's correct. For the short term at least all the points system will do is ensure status quo remains. The strong clubs will remain strong and have the ability to top up from year to year, while the bottom clubs are denied the option of doing what Glenrowan and Bonnie Doon have previously done in bringing in a whole new side.

It's hard to see strong sides being impacted at all really, unless they encounter the type of situation Benalla did a few years ago, when pretty much the entire senior side left. It could be worse - we could be talking about the Ovens and Murray, where I think the points system could guarantee Albury another five straight flags. At least with the O&K there are 4-5 sides that could be in the mix this year.

You'd like to think that the $75,000 Salary Cap to be implemented in 2017 will go some way towards balancing things.
But while I'm not 100% all over the points system, yes it does appear that certainly in the short-term the stronger clubs will remain so.

I'm not so convinced about the $$. First of all, I think that most of the time the $$ paid out by clubs is mostly built on chinese whispers and rumour. However, I have no doubt that there would be clubs paying some players significant sums of money. Secondly, how do you track that? It is basically impossible to enforce a cap on clubs. All it does is introduce another report format that committees will have to do.

Whether its $$, assets, favours or whatever, the league has no way to monitor an honest player payment system.

You'd like to think that the $75,000 Salary Cap to be implemented in 2017 will go some way towards balancing things.
But while I'm not 100% all over the points system, yes it does appear that certainly in the short-term the stronger clubs will remain so.

$75k wouldn't buy you a seconds side pal

unfortunately this is the attitude of a lot of people, and it is influencing the expectation of young players to get paid to play footy.
I have even witnessed thirds guys putting their hands out....they did not get anything and neither should they.

The clubs that have the character and conviction to set club standards, values and reward based on the culture and longevity of the club, even if it causes short term pain will eventually be the ones with the most success, both on and off the field. Recruits should be looked at for more than their footy skill level, if they are worth an investment then they should also be bringing other qualities such as being a good clubman, mentoring younger players, leading by example and setting high standards both on and off the field.

unfortunately this is the attitude of a lot of people, and it is influencing the expectation of young players to get paid to play footy.
I have even witnessed thirds guys putting their hands out....they did not get anything and neither should they.

The clubs that have the character and conviction to set club standards, values and reward based on the culture and longevity of the club, even if it causes short term pain will eventually be the ones with the most success, both on and off the field. Recruits should be looked at for more than their footy skill level, if they are worth an investment then they should also be bringing other qualities such as being a good clubman, mentoring younger players, leading by example and setting high standards both on and off the field.

Unless of course your commission area decides that winning games is more important than culture, community and longevity of a club. Your above statement was dismissed and laughed at in the review and unfortunately those views are the pervading 'culture' of the League. I think many of the OnK clubs are sick of the $$ culture but also know that if your too long at the bottom you'll get booted off the leaderboard all together. The league needs to make a public commitment (as other leagues have done since our ridiculous review) to community club development and administrative support to keep clubs sustainable and not 'consolidate' in the future.
All the best for the upcoming season lads.

Everything your football club does, needs to be done with a level of professionalism not seen in local footy in days gone by. Like it or not, that's how it is. However, too many people relate this directly to on field success and therefore to player payments. They have either missed the point, or just don't get it. The standards set first by the committee then members, and then players etc will bring the community and sponsor relationships vital to any club and when you have those things right, and set as the priority the on field success is only a stones throw away. On field success is not just measured by premierships, it is measured by competitiveness and the ability to produce a worthwhile spectacle.

There are some O&K clubs that do this quite well. For example, Bright and Tarrawingee both do it very well, and before you ask, no I am not involved with either of those clubs. But they are both running with a model we can learn from.

The level of professionalism in local footy has changed, personally I think for the better.
The unfortunate truth is that some clubs have taken too long to either wake up to that or have not had the resources to make it a reality and have therefore not been up to operating at the level required.

I don't like the amount of money being paid in local football and it is an unfortunate fact that invariably the richest team wins the premiership but do you think it will affect player numbers if the lure of money is taken away?A young bloke may choose to work on Saturdays if he is not getting his $200 a game
I appreciate something has to be done to curtail the amount of money being spent but it just worries me that participation may drop as a result

I don't like the amount of money being paid in local football and it is an unfortunate fact that invariably the richest team wins the premiership but do you think it will affect player numbers if the lure of money is taken away?A young bloke may choose to work on Saturdays if he is not getting his $200 a game
I appreciate something has to be done to curtail the amount of money being spent but it just worries me that participation may drop as a result
Am pleased the VCFL are trying to address the issue but you're right in that it could have adverse effects in other areas. In answer to your question, in a perfect world you'd like to think a young guy would much rather play footy with his mates than work on a Saturday, irrespective of what he gets paid. I suppose that's an individual thing which comes back to a persons priorities.

Am pleased the VCFL are trying to address the issue but you're right in that it could have adverse effects in other areas. In answer to your question, in a perfect world you'd like to think a young guy would much rather play footy with his mates than work on a Saturday, irrespective of what he gets paid. I suppose that's an individual thing which comes back to a persons priorities.
I agree Bunyip and I know I would much rather play a game I love than work.Its just that Ive found players attitudes nowadays is they are doing the club a favour playing for them instead of being grateful to all the tireless workers who provide them the opportunity to play at their club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Bunyip and I know I would much rather play a game I love than work.Its just that Ive found players attitudes nowadays is they are doing the club a favour playing for them instead of being grateful to all the tireless workers who provide them the opportunity to play at their club

This is spot on. Players have no interest in the club now and the love for footy is long gone. Most would put a day of work in front of footy if it paid more.

No offence fruit, but surely that's a broad and generalised exaggeration of the current state of the game....
I know that all of our guys love playing footy, they are competitive guys that love the game.
Yes there is also money involved for some, some to cover the costs of playing for the year and others with an bit of bonus on top if they are seen to be "earning" it. Admittedly, I use the term "earning" quite loosely!

There is definitely too much of that cocky attitude though, cloudstreet put it well, they think they are doing the club a favour. The good clubs are not accepting that attitude though, and nor should they.

No offence fruit, but surely that's a broad and generalised exaggeration of the current state of the game....
I know that all of our guys love playing footy, they are competitive guys that love the game.
Yes there is also money involved for some, some to cover the costs of playing for the year and others with an bit of bonus on top if they are seen to be "earning" it. Admittedly, I use the term "earning" quite loosely!

There is definitely too much of that cocky attitude though, cloudstreet put it well, they think they are doing the club a favour. The good clubs are not accepting that attitude though, and nor should they.
It was definitely a broad remark and not aimed at the entire footy community but I am pretty confident that this attitude is becoming closer to the norm than the exception.

Yer, you are probably right.

It is certainly the expectation that you will be paid for it. I played quite a bit of senior footy in my day and never put my hand out for anything because I just truly wanted to play footy.

Most young blokes these days expect to get paid don't they. I even heard one young guy that plays at an O&K club (not mine thankfully) say straight out that he was going to play for the highest bidder and how much he thought that should be. I know, or at least used to know this kid really well and unfortunately because of his attitude I have very little respect for him anymore. At his age he would have been better to just enjoy and concentrate on his footy, even go to a club with older quality players to learn something, but no....he's already pretty confident on how much he is worth.....disappointing

Slow news week Nonch when you're having to write stories on who's the new reserves coach at a district club! Please at least be more like the major newspapers and write a bullshit story that will create plenty of bantar! Much more newsworthy

I think you will find the bat cave have picked up a couple more quality players! Will be sure to push for top 3

I think you will find the bat cave have picked up a couple more quality players! Will be sure to push for top 3
This is the exact type of comical bantar that we need to be reading Nonch! Not who is coaching a 2's team or who might be the next best reserves player! Then again the latter could be comical

Batcave, I wish the bats all the luck in the world and its great to see them picking up some players....and yes I'm sure with the blokes that are heading out there, it will prove a significant step forward no doubt. but lets not get carried away.

The old saying "February finalists, april fools" often rings true.

And Lionel Richie, that's why my ship jumping comment won't make the paper, it is mostly either seconds players or blokes that will be on the fringe that are jumping at the moment from what I have heard.

Batcave, I wish the bats all the luck in the world and its great to see them picking up some players....and yes I'm sure with the blokes that are heading out there, it will prove a significant step forward no doubt. but lets not get carried away.

The old saying "February finalists, april fools" often rings true.

And Lionel Richie, that's why my ship jumping comment won't make the paper, it is mostly either seconds players or blokes that will be on the fringe that are jumping at the moment from what I have heard.

It is nearly Feb and most clubs should be on the track by now. Lets start seeing some names of who is in and out.

The ins at Goorambat as far as I know are
Shane McKean
Andy Polwarth
Crush Dalton
Patty Hide
Andrew Cook
Brett Pollard (ex Greta)
Jarred Brennan
Cam Symes
Anthony Symes
plus for or five more who's names escape me.

The only loss that I know of is Freeman the ruckman from last year.

Their maybe some fresher news about but that's what I have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back