Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Been told to expect Jack Del Rio's signing on as Raiders HC within the next 24 hours. He is Mark Davis' guy per a number of sources. The interview in around 12 hours (might be a little earlier) time will consist of John Madden, Reggie McKenzie, Mark Davis, and a few Raiders executives (such as Marc Badain), along with (of course) Del Rio. Del Rio is not a candidate for the Broncos HC job. He will be the Raiders next head coach barring a ridiculously bad interview, which would have to go along the lines of JDR telling Reggie McKenzie to "**** off." We all know that won't happen.

As for the staff, two names I've heard are Bill Musgrave and Marc Trestman for OC. Mike Smith is a candidate for DC. QB coach (Currently) John DeFillipo is unlikely to remain in Oakland. He has a number of coaching opportunities around the league. That one would hurt. I have also been told that Greg Olson is very nervous about keeping his job, and that the only way he will retain it is if his agent smooth talks Mark Davis into giving him one more year. This is extremely unlikely.

More news as I hear it :)
Any info on what's going to happen with Tony Sparano? What about Al Saunders?

Any info on what's going to happen with Tony Sparano? What about Al Saunders?

If Del Rio is hired (as expected), Sparano won't stay. I'm not sure about Saunders. That will depend on the OC.

Oakland Raiders linebacker Khalil Mack and defensive tackle Justin Ellis have been named to the PFWA’s All-Rookie team, the Pro Football Writers of America announced Tuesday.

That's great for Jelly - 4th round pick. Good drafting.

The Raiders had 1st round grades on Mack and Carr, and 2nd round grades on Jackson and Jelly. Don't forget about TJ Carrie either, I expect him to have a big 2015. Some great picks who really are going to be the building blocks for achieving greatness in Oakland.

I find it quite surprising that if the Raiders had a first round grade on Carr that they waited to grab him

Reggie likes his picks. Didn't want to trade up. Especially considering that the Raiders have so many holes to fill. Trading up just reduces the amount of picks you can make, and hence, holes you can fill.

That theory holds true except when it comes to a QB.

If Houston (who had a pick 3 before you) takes Carr after Viks moved on Teddy then you're screwed.

No third round pick is worth that risk when you need a QB and can get one you have a first Round grade on (in the second)

That theory holds true except when it comes to a QB.

If Houston (who had a pick 3 before you) takes Carr after Viks moved on Teddy then you're screwed.

No third round pick is worth that risk when you need a QB and can get one you have a first Round grade on (in the second)

As part of any scouting process for the draft, you also scout other teams to figure out what their needs are, who they have interviewed, scouted at pro days etc. The Raiders intel was that Carr would be available at their designated spot in round 2.

I don't agree with you either that trading up would have been the best thing, even if it's for a QB. We have seen countless times where teams have traded up, got no return on their guy, and had too many holes to fill. I'm no fan of Reggie McKenzie, but he played the 2014 draft perfectly.

Del Rio has been hired as I mentioned a number of days ago, he was the favourite. He appears to be trying to assemble quite the staff as well. Press conference scheduled for Friday.

Lol. Look what happened to Houston who followed your flawed logic

They were a Bridgewater away from playoffs most likely. If they don't wait on him they look like a contender for the next 10 years

Now they're in purgatory

I'm not denying that Raiders probably had th best draft . I just find it hard to believe they rated Carr so high and risked it

If they did then they got lucky and it's a poor move. Case in point the one above

(Log in to remove this ad.)

file.php

Lol. Look what happened to Houston who followed your flawed logic

They were a Bridgewater away from playoffs most likely. If they don't wait on him they look like a contender for the next 10 years

Now they're in purgatory

Fitzpatrick had a higher QB rating than Teddy, through for more touchdowns, less interceptions at a very comparable completion rate (63% to 64%). To say that had Teddy been plugged in there instead of Fitzpatrick is a little silly. Bridgewater isn't going to suddenly win them a few more games. They also drafted Tom Savage last year, he will get time to develop, they like him for sure.

Furthermore, if Houston really wanted a QB at 33, they could have had Carr themselves, who when it's all said and done, is going to be a very good QB.

To say that Houston are in purgatory is crazy. They went from being the worst team in the NFL last season, to nearly making the playoffs in one year. They have some good players to work with, and whilst JJ Watt is on that D, that D will be elite. O'Brien has them on the right track.

When you are a bad team, you have lots of holes to fill, that goes without question. Even though Carr had a first round grade, that doesn't mean they had him graded as an elite player. If he was so highly rated, they would have pulled the trigger at 5. In the Raiders position they were, they couldn't afford to trade up and lose picks, especially when you're trading up for a guy who still had a number of question marks going into the draft in the first place. I can see your logic if you see the guy as a can't miss prospect, or you are a team like the Patriots who don't need to fill many gaps, but from the Raiders' position they're in, staying put was the right move.

And yet Fitz got canned...

Meanwhile Teddy looks like a 15 year starter. Teddy also has a poorer WR corp.

They are in purgatory, because they're in Lucks division and they are stacked at every position and can only muster one win against a side with a winning record (bills 9-7). They definitely dropped the ball on Carr, probably couldn't pick him because of his famous brother.

I really think you will struggle to find someone who thinks they aren't worse off by missing out on Bridgewater. At the end of the day that would have happened to the Raiders.

It didn't but I struggle to believe your narrative that they rated him so high but rolled the dice.

And yet Fitz got canned...

Meanwhile Teddy looks like a 15 year starter. Teddy also has a poorer WR corp.

They are in purgatory, because they're in Lucks division and they are stacked at every position and can only muster one win against a side with a winning record (bills 9-7). They definitely dropped the ball on Carr, probably couldn't pick him because of his famous brother.

I really think you will struggle to find someone who thinks they aren't worse off by missing out on Bridgewater. At the end of the day that would have happened to the Raiders.

It didn't but I struggle to believe your narrative that they rated him so high but rolled the dice.

To say that Teddy looks like a 15 year starter is absurd. Sure, he looked good but you simply can't make such crazy statements from just 1 year of work. I would agree if you said that a team would be wise to give Teddy at least another 2 years to see how he develops and progresses.

You can struggle to believe my "narrative" all you want but it's the truth, simple as that. They knew the likelihood of him being picked before their pick was low, and they were comfortable with other players they had high on their board at the time, such that if Carr wasn't there, they'd still get a damn good player. Had people known that Derek Carr would be this good after one year, he would have been taken in the top 10. Also note that a first round grade is still generic, that's just simply what I was told. I have no idea if it was a high first, middle first, late first etc. If they had him at a late first, not jumping the other picks and staying put makes perfect sense, especially given the ridiculous number of holes on the Raiders, not to mention your GM (McKenzie) has been completely open that the building of the team would occur through the draft. Need as many picks as you can.

JDR does a good press conference. Unified seems to be the word of the day. Seems confident he can get us back into winning.

Interesting that even tho everyone seemed to know he already had the job there was still a 4 hour interview. Maybe he was explaining a few things such as how he can attract some players during free agency. Might be a diplomatic way of telling Reggie to stay out of it and concentrate on the draft where Reggie has done very well.

JDR brings his own cheerleaders. Nice daughters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back