Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
original.jpg

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I asked...

It's highly unlikely Raiders leap straight from 4-12, 4-12, 3-13 to something like 10-6 and into the playoffs. Possible, but highly unlikely. So speculation of Reggie on a hot-seat will increase in 2015. How many wins do you think Reggie's job is still safe then? 6?

Winning response was...

No more excuses. He'll have had three straight drafts with all his picks and four drafts in all and back to back years of record cap space. He was handed an 8-8 team and right now he's 26 games under .500!!! 8 wins is the absolute minimum and that only buys him his last year. Not an extension.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Next in Line
Latavius Murray was a late draft pickup by Oakland in 2013, as they took the UCF running back in the sixth round. Murray has an incredible blend of height, size, and speed that compares him favorably to Musgrave's former protege Adrian Peterson. Now free to roam the backfield without much competition, we may finally be able to see what Murray can do on a consistent basis.

Murray carried the ball 82 times last year and was by far the most efficient and productive back on Oakland's roster in 2014. It wasn't until Week 14 when the previous coaching staff -- following a 52-0 loss to St. Louis -- decided to evaluate what they had in Murray fully and focus their offense around him.

Well what do you know, Murray carried the ball 23 times and helped dictate the time of possession in a 24-13 win over the 49ers. Quarterback Derek Carr also had one of his best games of the season, completing 22 of 28 pass attempts for 245 yards and 3 touchdowns. In the last four weeks of the season, when Murray had at least 10 carries in each game, he provided PPR fantasy finishes of RB20, RB26, RB23, and RB21 -- low end, yet consistent, RB2 outputs.

The Raiders also bolstered the interior of their offensive line picking up free agent center Rodney Hudson from their divisional rival, the Kansas City Chiefs. The majority of Murray's carries ran right up the middle last year, and Hudson should help improve the run blocking for Murray's north-south style of running. Murray's not particularly elusive, as he forced only six missed tackles last year, so adding effective blocking in front of him via free agency was a must.
Oakland also added former Washington Redskin running back Roy Helu, a versatile back with great hands out of the backfield.

Complementing Murray's straight-line attributes, Roy Helu provides the Raiders with a talented multi-dimensional back. Despite playing on only 34.5% of Washington's offensive snaps, Helu picked up the 13th highest Total NEP (factoring in Rushing and Reception NEP) among all running backs. Helu was also very successful carrying the ball nearly equaling Murray's Rushing NEP per carry.

One thing Murray and Helu can look forward to in 2015 is an increased opportunity in hitting paydirt. Musgrave likes to utilize his running backs to punch it in for the score as his offenses have been ranked in the top 10 in rushing touchdown percentage each year as an offensive coordinator outside of 2004.

From a fantasy perspective, Latavius Murray could improve on his low end RB2 value that he finished the year with, but it's unlikely at this point in time that he jumps up to the next tier of running backs. A look at his way too early ADP has him at RB21, which seems fair given there are still a few notable free agents on the market as well as a very talented incoming rookie class that will skew things in the near future.

Roy Helu is a bit more of a wildcard, but he was often used when Washington went no-huddle -- something that Musgrave has talked about incorporating into Oakland's offense this year. Still, hoping for anything consistent from Helu is just wishful thinking. Helu's value will most likely be realized on the field than in fantasy football.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
T Rich says he can turn around his form. I'm backing him in. Can only get better.

As soon as Richardson arrived in Indianapolis, the wheels fell completely off.

Miller penned a point-by-point deconstruction of his original scouting report, showing how Richardson regressed badly, especially his vision. Richardson's inability to pick out the right hole and hit it made his impressive physique and prodigious athleticism worthless.

Meandering into the backs of his own blockers, meaninglessly shedding tacklers behind the line of scrimmage just to be brought down a yard later, Richardson was a useless mess. By the end of 2014, his first full season in Indianapolis, he'd been demoted to punt coverage.

Richardson's toxic combination of stunted mental game and ho-hum effort had completely undone him. NFL coaches can forgive character flaws and will kick the tires on a talented guy who might just need a change of scenery—but a guy who refuses to work hard is a guy who'll have a hard time finding work in the NFL.

Last chance saloon...cheap option. .no first rounders given up.. I really dont see how we can lose. Maybe he lives up to some of his hype/potential and we have scored..maybe he doesn't, what have we really lost. This isnt like a first for Moss situation.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Exactly plus he's no worse than MJD. His problem may have been coz the Oline was trying more to protect Luck. He'll be hoping we draft Scherff.

I think he's got more issues than just the line he is running behind. The odds are against him, but the talent is there. All will depend on whether he is willing to work hard enough to get back to the dominant force he was just a short time ago.

I wouldn't be against drafting Scherff, but there is more value to be had in getting a starting guard around the 3rd round like we did with Gabe Jackson last year.

T Rich says he can turn around his form. I'm backing him in. Can only get better.

As soon as Richardson arrived in Indianapolis, the wheels fell completely off.

Miller penned a point-by-point deconstruction of his original scouting report, showing how Richardson regressed badly, especially his vision. Richardson's inability to pick out the right hole and hit it made his impressive physique and prodigious athleticism worthless.

Meandering into the backs of his own blockers, meaninglessly shedding tacklers behind the line of scrimmage just to be brought down a yard later, Richardson was a useless mess. By the end of 2014, his first full season in Indianapolis, he'd been demoted to punt coverage.

Richardson's toxic combination of stunted mental game and ho-hum effort had completely undone him. NFL coaches can forgive character flaws and will kick the tires on a talented guy who might just need a change of scenery—but a guy who refuses to work hard is a guy who'll have a hard time finding work in the NFL.
Backing him in?

I take it you haven't watched a single run of his in the last 2 years?

I have the midas touch...

I've seen my teams (Afl and nfl) win 8 championships in the span that I have been sports mad.

Only seen one truly bad season from the Packers... A few more from the hawks, but 6 Premierships make up for it...

I think my endorsement would be highly regarded.

Nah its more the fact that all theae raider fans think reggie is a * up, but I see nothing but shrewd moves.

All thise big deals last season to geriatrics, washed away this off-season etc. Players on off and def to build around. He's doing it right, and hes forgetting the critics and doing it his way.

And for the record, my first season of partially following nfl, I was following the redskins. They won the superbowl, so I switched to the packers... The rest is history.

They're just not the same raiders of old.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Backing him in?

I take it you haven't watched a single run of his in the last 2 years?

His running has been like MJD & DMac. But other parts of his game have been good. Plus he is still 24.

He says he wants to do well so we are giving him a chance. See how he goes with a new team, coaches etc.

We have a good C & LG add a good RG & he can try the A gap which seems to be his best, maybe only go.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Raiders stadium project scores with Oakland City Council

Ron Leuty
San Francisco Business Times
Friday, March 20, 2015, 1:22pm PDT

img1848*900xx4000-2674-0-326.jpg

A new stadium for the Oakland Raiders could be ready for play in 2019 — if all goes right.

An Oakland-Alameda County agreement that sets the stage for a new stadium for the Oakland Raiders — and potentially the Oakland Athletics — won unanimous approval Friday afternoon from the Oakland City Council.

The exclusive negotiating agreement between New City Development LLC and the city and county, which the county Board of Supervisors is set to consider Tuesday, is key to resolving what will happen with 120 acres of joint city-county land around O.co Coliseum and Oracle Arena. It also is crucial to resolving what will happen to $95 million to $100 million in debt tied to the Coliseum.

Land and debt deals are essential for reaching a potential agreement with the Raiders and, eventually, future investors in a new Raiders stadium and the larger Coliseum City project, New City point man Floyd Kephart has said.

Coliseum City is an 800-acre development, straddling I-880 in gritty East Oakland. It includes space for stadiums for the Raiders and A's, an arena for the Golden State Warriors, as well as some 5,800 housing units, 4.7 million square feet of lab and research-and-development space, 1 million square feet of office space and 1 million square feet of hotels.

A 55,000-seat Raiders stadium is the linchpin of the $1.5 billion, 200-acre first phase of the development. The soonest the Raiders could begin play in a new Oakland stadium, Kephart told the San Francisco Business Times earlier this week, is 2019.

The Coliseum's debt, which is scheduled to be paid off in 2025, is tied to the stadium's renovation in the mid-1990s that wooed the Raiders back to Oakland from Los Angeles. It would likely be a part of New City's financing package for a new stadium.

"Two of the most important elements of this development project are the land and the debt," said former City Manager and former interim city administrator Henry Gardner, who has worked heavily on Coliseum City. "Both of those must be addressed and integrated in any financing."

City Council President Lynette Gibson McElhaney, likening Oakland to a beautiful woman and New City as a suitor, said New City is meeting the parents and has a "serious and sincere interesting in dating our baby."

"We're not yet married, but we like this guy a lot," McElhaney said at the end of the meeting.

New City in October won an exclusive negotiating agreement, or ENA, with the city, and that deal expires April 21. But because the county wasn't a part of that agreement, Kephart has said that his team has been hamstrung in getting the Raiders to sign off on a deal.

The new ENA, if approved by Alameda County officials, would expire Aug. 21. It still allows the Raiders or A's to submit their own proposals for new stadiums.

Friday's vote was important, McElhaney said, to signal to the Raiders, the National Football League and Southern California communities hoping to woo the Raiders that Oakland and Alameda County are united to keeping the team.

"It's our job to get us over the finish line," McElhaney said.

Council member Larry Reid, who has represented the East Oakland district for 19 years and spearheaded the Coliseum City project, said he intended not to vote for the new ENA coming into Friday's 1-1/2-hour meeting, but changed his mind. It's important, he said, that Coliseum City include market-rate housing.

"We can't just have affordable housing," he said, adding that his district can't be a district only of "poor people."

Nearly two dozen speakers spoke in favor of the Coliseum City development, but they added that there must be "community benefits." In fact, the ENA includes language designed to protect food service workers and others at the existing Coliseum and arena, to train East Oakland residents for jobs at the development and to prevent gentrification.

Oakland pastor Brian K. Woodson Jr. told City Council members that Coliseum City is "a big project and it can be done without community input, but it cannot be done fantastically without community input."

"We don't want a 'big box.' We don't want to be anywhere U.S.A.," Woodson said. "We want to be Oakland."

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
not even sure what really happened today - they voted to negotiate? Meanwhile, the project just gets more and more complicated so many 'cooks' in the kitchen with their own priorities - retail, office, research labs, affordable housing? oh brother... Mark just wants a stadium and the A's want nothing to do with Coliseum 'city'.. when you hear the elected officials talking like simpletons and saying things like 'not giving up on the warriors' makes you shake your head.. this thing is no steps closer to reality..

Back