Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Question, if the Raiders were moved from Oakland would you guys all still go for them?

I only ask this as i was/still am, a Seattle Supersonics fan, ive lost interest in the NBA to some point (NBA was my fav back in the 90's), i mean i still watch it but i dont have my team anymore so i dont follow it as religiously as i once did, i never followed them to OKC, infact i hate OKC, i was wish nothing but s**t luck and Durant walking out on them to Washington at the end of the year.

Are you guys in it for the city of Oakland or in it for the 'Raider brand', maybe some of you went for them in LA so its no big deal either way?

Just interested to know if im the only one who feels this way about a franchise moving to another city?.

What you're asking is a very complicated question. This is probably as short as I can get my point across without giving a simple one word answer that doesn't really answer the question in the first place.

Having spoken to Raider fans who live both in Australia, the Bay Area, Los Angeles and outside of California (as far as Florida and Hawaii), the conclusion I've come to, which many people (in the States at least) don't recognise is that there appears to be two types of fans. On one hand you have the fans who support the "Oakland" Raiders. Then on the other hand you have the fans who support the Oakland "Raiders." One is supporting the team because they're representing the city. The other supports the team irrespective of location.

Of course, it's not THAT black and white. I have a great affinity for the city of Oakland and the entire Bay Area. San Francisco is one of my favourite places in the world, and I have made a lot of friends as a result of going to the games in Oakland. I won't be surprised that, in the event the Raiders leave Oakland, that a lot of the closeness amongst fans, specifically at pre-game tailgates, is lost.

Having said that, I also understand that the Raiders have history in Los Angeles. It's not as if they spent 2-3 years there and left. During their time in Los Angeles they won a Super Bowl and were essentially the face of a youth and music movement through the 80s and early 90s. Yes, during their time in LA, gangs also used Raiders attire to represent themselves, and the games at the LA Coliseum were quite rowdy to the say the least. But the times are significantly changed since then, and the Raiders have done a lot of work both in Oakland and Los Angeles to distance themselves from a very small proportion of thugs who did their best to give the Raider brand a nasty stigma.

In today's day and age, you (being NFL teams) need a favourable stadium deal to be competitive. The current NFL revenue sharing system gave teams approximately 226 million each. Sounds like a lot of money. But consider that such expenses of running an NFL team include the following:
- Paying the salary cap (approximately 140 million)
- Paying staff salaries (includes coaches and front office employees)
- Stadium and home facility upkeep
- Charter flights for all away games (note that ALL front office employees and ALL 53 rostered players + practice squad guys make the away trips, along with staff)

Of course there are many more expenses, but I'm just outlining some off the top of my head. By doing so, it's clearly evident that the 226 million goes "NTTAWWT!" real quickly. So where are you going to get the $$$ required to pay big signing bonuses? It starts with the stadium. Up to date stadia results in increased revenue streams which increases sponsorships, leading to more $$$ to pay the players in chunks. Yes, free agency isn't the way you win championships, but the increased $$$ pays for having the best facilities available, which is a very attractive point for all front office management and coaches.

In conclusion, I'll be upset if the Raiders leave Oakland. But I fully understand why they need to get out of there. Oakland isn't going to get a stadium in the ground for the Raiders, it's just not going to happen barring a miracle. And I don't know how much longer that the Raiders can keep going in that hell hole of a stadium, because they're just falling further and further behind the pack every day.

What you're asking is a very complicated question. This is probably as short as I can get my point across without giving a simple one word answer that doesn't really answer the question in the first place.

Having spoken to Raider fans who live both in Australia, the Bay Area, Los Angeles and outside of California (as far as Florida and Hawaii), the conclusion I've come to, which many people (in the States at least) don't recognise is that there appears to be two types of fans. On one hand you have the fans who support the "Oakland" Raiders. Then on the other hand you have the fans who support the Oakland "Raiders." One is supporting the team because they're representing the city. The other supports the team irrespective of location.

Of course, it's not THAT black and white. I have a great affinity for the city of Oakland and the entire Bay Area. San Francisco is one of my favourite places in the world, and I have made a lot of friends as a result of going to the games in Oakland. I won't be surprised that, in the event the Raiders leave Oakland, that a lot of the closeness amongst fans, specifically at pre-game tailgates, is lost.

Having said that, I also understand that the Raiders have history in Los Angeles. It's not as if they spent 2-3 years there and left. During their time in Los Angeles they won a Super Bowl and were essentially the face of a youth and music movement through the 80s and early 90s. Yes, during their time in LA, gangs also used Raiders attire to represent themselves, and the games at the LA Coliseum were quite rowdy to the say the least. But the times are significantly changed since then, and the Raiders have done a lot of work both in Oakland and Los Angeles to distance themselves from a very small proportion of thugs who did their best to give the Raider brand a nasty stigma.

In today's day and age, you (being NFL teams) need a favourable stadium deal to be competitive. The current NFL revenue sharing system gave teams approximately 226 million each. Sounds like a lot of money. But consider that such expenses of running an NFL team include the following:
- Paying the salary cap (approximately 140 million)
- Paying staff salaries (includes coaches and front office employees)
- Stadium and home facility upkeep
- Charter flights for all away games (note that ALL front office employees and ALL 53 rostered players + practice squad guys make the away trips, along with staff)

Of course there are many more expenses, but I'm just outlining some off the top of my head. By doing so, it's clearly evident that the 226 million goes "NTTAWWT!" real quickly. So where are you going to get the $$$ required to pay big signing bonuses? It starts with the stadium. Up to date stadia results in increased revenue streams which increases sponsorships, leading to more $$$ to pay the players in chunks. Yes, free agency isn't the way you win championships, but the increased $$$ pays for having the best facilities available, which is a very attractive point for all front office management and coaches.

In conclusion, I'll be upset if the Raiders leave Oakland. But I fully understand why they need to get out of there. Oakland isn't going to get a stadium in the ground for the Raiders, it's just not going to happen barring a miracle. And I don't know how much longer that the Raiders can keep going in that hell hole of a stadium, because they're just falling further and further behind the pack every day.

Its a bit different to the Supersonics situation i suppose where ownership pulled the wool over the cities, well, the Seattle Sonics fans eyes, telling lies all along, it also made it an easy decision for me to not follow/hate OKC because they are the Thunder, not the Sonics. If the Raiders moved back to a familiar like place and ex home in LA, I'm sure it would appease a good chunk of your supporter base anyway. For the die hard Bay Area fan I'm sure its not ideal but they are still the Raiders and you have been through this before and seen them return.

The Raider brand is still big today, maybe not late 80's early 90's big, but far bigger than the Sonics ever were thats for sure, it will prosper wherever it is moved.

Thanks for the perspective of a Bay Area fan though, this is what i was after, good post. :thumbsu:

Its a bit different to the Supersonics situation i suppose where ownership pulled the wool over the cities, well, the Seattle Sonics fans eyes, telling lies all along, it also made it an easy decision for me to not follow/hate OKC because they are the Thunder, not the Sonics. If the Raiders moved back to a familiar like place and ex home in LA, I'm sure it would appease a good chunk of your supporter base anyway. For the die hard Bay Area fan I'm sure its not ideal but they are still the Raiders and you have been through this before and seen them return.

The Raider brand is still big today, maybe not late 80's early 90's big, but far bigger than the Sonics ever were thats for sure, it will prosper wherever it is moved.

Thanks for the perspective of a Bay Area fan though, this is what i was after, good post. :thumbsu:

The biggest thing that Bay Area die hards simply don't realise, is that there isn't enough $$$ in the area that people are willing to put into a stadium for the Raiders. You can point to Silicon Valley and all the IT booming companies, but that's not the East Bay. The Raiders are an East Bay team. It's a really strange dynamic. San Francisco and Oakland might only be separated by a 15-20 minute drive over the Bay Bridge, but the operate completely independently of one another, and the culture on either side is vastly different. It's why, for instance, that people in the East Bay are pissed that the Warriors want to move to Mission Bay, which is just a 20 minute drive from Oakland and won't impact said fans from attending any of the games.

Also note that Mark Davis has wanted to move the Raiders for quite some time. He's never divulged it publicly. Fact of the matter is that he has tried, and been blocked by the NFL, on attempting to move the Raiders to Las Vegas. He's had his eyes on Los Angeles for the better part of 6 years. NFL relocation guidelines however are very concise and restrictive. The process has been accelerated because of the Rams' proposed Inglewood Project. Don't be a fool to Davis' consistent "We want to stay in Oakland" theme. Sure they do, but he also recognises that staying in Oakland isn't a realistic possibility. Too many diehard Oakland fans latch on to that theme as if it definitive reason that Mark won't at least try to move the team at the end of this year.

I hope to post more info about the meeting between the City of Oakland, County of Alameda, the Raiders and the NFL (specifically Eric Grubman) shortly. I do know that when Grubman was contacted via one media outlet, that he was requested (by a party in the meeting) to provide no comment, and to refer all matters to the city. No doubt that request came from the Raiders, considering that it was the City of Oakland who were the leak on Kephart's stadium plan a month or so ago.

Crabtree shines on Day 1 of training camp

Posted on July 31, 2015 by Jimmy Durkin

NAPA — Two throws provided some reason to develop hope and excitement for the Raiders offense on the first day of training camp.

Both were high and along the sideline from Derek Carr and Michael Crabtree leaped to high point the pass over a defender, hauling it in and hanging on as they tried to knock it free.

Following his disappointing final season with the 49ers last year, Crabtree had the look of a potential impact player for the Raiders as the team opened camp in Napa.

“He stood out today, made some nice catches,” coach Jack Del Rio said of Crabtree. “Mike’s a proven player. I don’t think we have to worry much about Mike, other than becoming a good teammate, getting himself in tip-top shape and being ready to have a great year.”

Carr, feeling more confident as he opens this camp as the unquestioned starter, raved about Crabtree.

“For some reason, it’s just easy to throw to him,” Carr said. “And that’s a credit to his route-running abilities, that’s a credit to the extra work he put in in the offseason. That guy works his tail off. You can tell when he gets out here because he makes it look so easy. He’s making one-handed catches on go routes one foot off the ground like, ‘Oh, I do that every day,’ which he does.”

Crabtree was among the players who joined Carr in Bakersfield earlier in July for a two-day session aimed at developing chemistry with his receivers, something made more important when Carr missed time this offseason with a finger injury that’s now fully healed.

“It’s important for any quarterback-receiver relationship to have that chemistry,” Crabtree said.

Carr complimented how Crabtree “finishes friendly to the quarterback,” a trait Crabtree indicated was a no-brainer for a receiver to possess.

“As a receiver, you want to be the quarterback’s friend, right?,” Crabtree said.

Carr’s other new friend, first-round pick Amari Cooper, figures to be in the starting lineup with Crabtree and the group will need plenty more work to fully mesh before the start of the season.

“To take two new guys and throw them into the starting role, that’s tough to do because there’s a lot to learn mentally,” Carr said.

Carr feels like his own mental game has grown after his rookie year experience and his teammates are noticing a difference.

“He’s grown, he’s a little more mature compared to last year,” running back Latavius Murray said. “Him knowing that he’s our quarterback, he takes that job very serious and he’s definitely leading us.”

Carr acknowledged the completely different scenario.

“There’s no, ‘Hey you’re the guy of the future’,” Carr said. “It’s ‘Hey, you’re the guy now.’ It’s nice knowing that because now I can really be myself.

“It was (Matt) Schaub’s team. There’s certain things where you can’t step on his toes, you want to let him do his thing. This time around it’s completely different, especially having 16 games under my belt.”

Raiders training camp day 1 practice wrap: Derek Carr, Michael Crabtree clicking early

By Levi Damien@LeviDamien on Jul 31, 2015, 5:00p 38

usa-today-8578527.0.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The first day of Raiders 2015 training camp is in the books. The team pulled out all the stops as far as guests in attendance. There was a host of Raiders legends including Jim Plunkett, George Atkinson, Daryle Lamonica, Raymond Chester, Jon Ritchie, and Lincoln Kennedy.

Also on hand were members of several armed forces including the Marines, Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Navy. Joining them were military families from the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (T.A.P.S.), Gold Star Families as well as veterans and military support personnel from the USS Hornet, United Service Organization Bay Area and Operation: Care and Comfort.

Injuries: The other day the Raiders placed Sio Moore on the Physically Unable to Perform list as he is still recovering from offseason hip surgery. Today they placed Rod Streater andTrent Richardson on the Non-Football Injury list and put Trindon Hollidayand Stacy McGee on the Physically Unable to Perform list. No details were given about their injuries, though Jack Del Rio said he expects them to be back soon.

Also not practicing was rookie Clive Walford with an undisclosed injury. He had practiced in the pre-camp warmup with the other rookies and didn't appear to have any serious injury.

Observations
Khalil Mack was everywhere in drills and mostly with the defensive linemen. He was almost exclusively working with the defensive line in drills, actually. He ran a few plays with the linebackers in coverage drills and then was sent back over to work with the defensive line again. It's becoming increasingly clear that he will be almost exclusively lining up with his hand in the dirt.

After lining up as a right guard through OTA's and minicamp, rookie Jon Feliciano was lining up with the second team at left guard today. He was replaced as second team right guard byMatt McCants.

Derek Carr was dealing on day one of camp. Technically, this isn't day one for him since he and the other quarterbacks were part of the precamp warmup last week, but he looked impressive none the less.

He and Crabtree looked like they had done a mind meld today with the two hooking up numerous times. First completion he threw went to Crabtree on a 15-yard out that Carr timed well and hit Crabtree in stride.

"Whatever the route is, for some reason, it's just easy to throw to him and that's a credit to his route-running abilities," Carr said of Crabtree. "That's a credit to the extra work that he puts in in the offseason. I mean, that guy works his tail off now. You can tell when he gets out here, because he makes it look so easy. He's making one-handed catches on go routes one foot off the ground like, ‘Oh, yeah, I do that every day,' which he does"

There is clearly a great chemistry already between these two. Much of it likely stems from their having worked throughout the offseason, including Crabtree joining some of his fellow receivers with Carr in his hometown of Bakersfield earlier this month.

"Just work. Building that chemistry," Crabtree said of his time with Carr. "Guys showing up, coming all the way from Dallas to Bakersfield and playing football. . . I went down there and hanged with those guys. He's truly a football player and I'd do anything for him."

The great first day Crabtree had didn't go unnoticed by his head coach.

"He stood out today and made some nice catches," Del Rio said of Crabtree. "Mike's a proven player. I don't think we have to worry much about Mike other than becoming a good teammate, getting in tip-top shape, and having a great year. So it was a nice beginning for us to be on time with some of the throws with the quarterbacks and the receivers. It was good to see."

Carr was also threading the needle to his tight ends all day. Both Lee Smith and Mychal Rivera were beneficiaries of tight Carr throws over the middle.

Catch of the day: Crabtree leaping grab from Carr
Crabtree went up the right sideline and leapt in the air to high-point the ball in double coverage, including very tight coverage from Keith McGill. Myself along with some of the other media were standing right there and I thought for sure I would have a better shot at it than Crabtree, but he plucked it out of the air. There was another great catch by Kenbrell Thompkins fromChristian Ponder that was rather similar. He too leapt in the air in double coverage to pull down a ball just inbounds along the right sideline.

Premium rush: Khalil Mack sack
Late in practice, Mack came around the right edge of the offensive line, leavingMenelik Watson reaching for air as he was upon Derek Carr the moment he hit his drop back. If it had been a live game, Carr would have been demolished. Carr gushed about Mack following practice and put him in some lofty company. You can read more about Mack's day here, along with what Carr had to say about him.

Pick of the litter: Neiko Thorpepass defended
There were no interceptions on day one. There were a couple passes defended, however. One in which Neiko Thorpe came flying over to the right sideline on a quick out and collided with Seth Roberts right as the ball got there and knock it out. Other passes defended came from Dexter McDonald on a Matt McGloin pass to Dexter McDonald andRas-I Dowling on a Christian Ponder pass for Milton Williams III.

Closing thoughts
When the Raiders left minicamp it seemed like they were already primed for training camp. The question was if they could maintain it over the month. They didn't disappoint. The usual rust one would expect on the first day of camp didn't appear to be there. I suppose the pre-camp warm-up helped with that, along with the attitude the coaching staff is instilling in the players. I can't recall a better first practice of training camp. And it usually only gets more refined and heated from here.

Back at it tomorrow. Practice is at 10:20am. As usual, click the button below to keep up with me on Twitter for live updates.

A's don't support Oakland/Alameda County Coliseum buyout

By Matthew Artz martz@bayareanewsgroup.com

POSTED: 07/31/2015 06:08:42 PM

OAKLAND -- Two days after Alameda County announced it wanted to sell the city its stake in the debt-ridden Oakland Coliseum complex, some are questioning whether such a deal is feasible and whether the county's departure might actually complicate stadium negotiations with the Oakland Raiders and A's.

As local leaders met Friday to discuss a city buyout of the county's share of the 120-acre site in East Oakland, A's owner Lew Wolff said he was not supportive of a buyout and did not think it would simplify talks for a new A's stadium on the East Oakland site.

Reached by email, Wolff declined to detail his concerns, saying the buyout was not up to the team.

Alameda County leaders said Wednesday that the best hope for building a new Raiders stadium in Oakland is for the city to buy out the county's stake in the sprawling Coliseum complex and handle the deal itself. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group archives)
"Our fan base is the city and the county," he said in a statement. "We value the positive relations we have with (them.)"

NFL and Raiders officials have been mum on the county's push for a buyout, while city officials have embraced it, saying it would be easier for the teams and developers to deal with one public agency rather than two. But industry experts said buyout negotiations could complicate stadium talks, while removing the financially stronger public agency from the deal and potentially limiting the city's available funds to invest in the site.

"Team owners and leagues don't like to deal with complexities, and if the city and county become locked in a long, complex negotiation just to do this, that will only serve to enhance those complexities," longtime sports executive Andy Dolich said.

Furthermore, the county is a potential source of help for the teams on a range of issues from infrastructure improvements to issuing bonds, said Marc Ganis, president of the consulting firm Sportscorp. "If you are a team owner, you would prefer to have government entities that add assets be part of the process."

Alameda County Supervisor Nate Miley acknowledged that his agency had more financial capacity than the city, but he said Oakland stood to gain more tax benefits and that it wasn't in the county's interest to provide financial assistance "when we're having extreme complications in negotiating a deal."

Oakland and Alameda County have frequently sparred in their role as landlords to the A's, Raiders and Golden State Warriors. County leaders have broached a buyout in the past, but the issue has taken on new urgency as the two agencies' priorities for the sprawling parcel have diverged.

While Oakland is pushing for transforming the site into a privately developed urban center with homes, shops, offices and stadiums, the county is more interested in retiring its debt from the 1990s renovation of O.Co Coliseum and Oracle Arena.

If the county is out of the picture, Oakland would have more flexibility to negotiate both with the sports teams and any outside developers. "It's a win-win, if we can pull it off," Assistant City Administrator Claudia Cappio said.

But extracting Alameda County from its stake in the Coliseum site might be even more challenging than coming up with a stadium deal.

A recent proposal by Floyd Kephart, a San Diego businessman seeking to redevelop the site, valued nearly 90 acres at $116 million. That might seem like a potential windfall until the outstanding debt is taken into account.

Oakland and Alameda County are slated to pay just under $138 million over the next 10 years on debt stemming from past renovations to O.Co Coliseum.

And the Warriors have said they don't think they are legally bound to pay the estimated $60 million of debt that will be left on Oracle Arena when they depart for their new home in San Francisco.

"I think it does make sense for the county to get out of this, but I don't know how you do it because the city of Oakland doesn't have deep pockets," Stanford University economics professor Roger Noll said.

"They are left with an asset (the Coliseum) that costs a lot of money, is obsolete and is supposed to last another 10 years," he added. "I don't know how they get out from that. It's just an incredibly difficult situation for the city and the county to be in."

Cappio said a buyout would include figuring out how to deal with the debt and purchasing the county's interest in the land so the city becomes the sole owner. Options include a land swap, loans, bonds or some combination, she said.

Even if a buyout agreement can be reached, Noll said the city still faces some tough challenges in keeping the Raiders, especially given the city's stance against public money for a new stadium and the Raiders' opportunity to move to Los Angeles.

"You still have the problem of how do you get the Raiders to accept the deal when they have better alternatives available to them," he said.

Video of press conference inside the link below....

--------------

Head Coach Jack Del Rio Looking Forward To First Padded Practice

Posted 1 hour ago

Eddie Paskal Raiders.com

Speaking after Saturday’s session of on-field work, Head Coach Del Rio talked about the excitement of seeing his team in pads, as well as the addition of center Rodney Hudson.

Sunday marks the day Head Coach Jack Del Rio has been waiting for since the team arrived in Napa, Calif., nearly a week ago, as the Oakland Raiders will hold their first padded practice of Training Camp 2015.
Speaking after Saturday’s session of on-field work, Head Coach Del Rio talked about the excitement of seeing his team in pads, as well as the addition of center Rodney Hudson .

THE TIME FOR ACCLIMATION IS OVER

Head Coach Del Rio began his media session by stating that the time for acclimation is over – the Silver and Black will begin padded practices tomorrow at their Napa Valley Training Complex.

“That right there is the last of our acclimation practices, now we can actually put the pads on tomorrow, so we’ll do that. I thought it was a pretty solid day’s work. So much to get done, but energy was good. I think having the pretty good crowd out there today was nice. The game’s played in pads, so you really can’t get a full evaluation until you get your team in pads and see them compete. That’s the next part, so we’re excited to get that phase going and that’ll be part of what we do.”

DEVELOPMENT OF THE DEFENSIVE BACKS

In contrast to the last few years, General Manger Reggie McKenzie elected to go young with his defensive backs in 2015.

As training camp wears on it’ll be one of the more hotly-contested position battles on the Raiders roster, as Head Coach Del Rio is intent on making sure that the best players earn the most snaps.

“We feel like we have a group there that has a chance to develop. Some young, talented guys, physically-talented guys that need work. They’re going to get that. It’s going to be a very competitive camp and we’ll let them be developed, be coached, let them compete against each other and let the guys who are the most productive play the most. We feel like we have a good young group.”

LINEBACKER SIO MOORE RETURNS

After a short stint on the [Active] Physically Unable to Perform list, linebacker Sio Moore returned to the practice field Saturday.

“We need to find out what he [Moore] can bring. I haven’t really seen him full tilt, but he is active now. He has joined the team again now in a full-go capacity and so I’ll get to learn more about him. We’ll learn more as we go with him. We need all of our players to grow, and to improve and to become great teammates, and he’s no different.”

IT’S ALL ABOUT TEACHING

Since he took over in Oakland, Head Coach Del Rio has stressed the importance of teaching the players, and has constantly spoke of building a coaching staff full of teachers.

This teaching theme has continued in to training camp, where specific portions of practice are used primarily just for teaching and correcting mistakes.

“I think we’ve assembled a great group of teachers, so we’re busy teaching. There was a segment there, prior to the field goal-kicking segment, about two periods before the end, it was like a 15-minute [teaching] period, and in that you’re seeing individual coaching going on, and individual techniques being stressed. As we get the pads on, some of that will be a little more physical in nature, but the bottom line is we believe in fundamentals. We’re going to stress fundamentals and we have a staff that understands that and are good teachers.”

RODNEY HUDSON IS ANCHORING THE OFFENSIVE LINE

Center Rodney Hudson was signed during free agency to anchor the Raiders offensive line, and that is precisely what he has done since arriving in Oakland – both on and off the field.

“It helps if the center is that type of guy, because basically it all starts with him. He’s going to make the calls. He’s going to snap the ball, so every play starts with him. I knew that he was, I think, an emerging player in the league, having gone against him twice a year. I felt like he was one of, if not the best, centers in the league and had a lot of respect for his game and so we were able to acquire him and I’m very excited about that.”

We need these guys to stay healthy.

NAPA, Calif. -- Sio Moore's time on the active/physically unable to perform list was a short one.

The Oakland Raiders' starting outside linebacker was practicing with his teammates on Saturday morning. He missed just one training camp practice after being put on the PUP list on Monday.

Meanwhile, rookie tight end Clive Walford remained out Saturday for the second straight practice. Oakland coach Jack Del Rio declined to address Walford's injury Friday. Walford, a third-round pick, is expected to be an immediate contributor to Oakland's passing game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bill Williamson ‏@BWilliamsonESPN 12h12 hours ago

Tony McDaniel was cut by Seahawks. DT was drafted by Del Rio and played for Norton. Not sure if need is big but there is familiarity. #Raiders[/QUOTE

NAPA, Calif. -- The Oakland Raiders are still not a finished product, and general manager Reggie McKenzie said Monday the team will always look to add players when it makes sense.

And the team is in the process of considering adding a big piece. McKenzie said Monday that "there is a chance" the Raiders pursue defensive tackle Tony McDaniel. He was a surprise cut by Seattle during the weekend.

McDaniel played for Oakland coach Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville and he played for Oakland defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. in Seattle.

McDaniel, 30, would be a rotational defensive tackle for Oakland and would give the Raiders a nice top-of-the-position look with free-agent addition Dan Williams and promising second-year player Justin Ellis. McDaniel, 6-foot-7, 305 pounds, started 29 games for Seattle's vaunted defense in the past two seasons. Oakland has about $16 million in salary-cap room and could easily absorb a deal for McDaniel.

Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie:`I knew I had to take some lumps . . . it’s the best I’ve felt going into Napa’

Posted on August 3, 2015 by Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

NAPA _ Reggie McKenzie isn’t ready to proclaim the Raiders have arrived, but he feels as if they’re knocking on the door.

After going 11-37 over his first three seasons, McKenzie finally has a roster to his liking as well as an energetic new coaching staff led by Jack Del Rio.

“Nobody likes losing,” McKenzie said Monday. “I knew we had to take some lumps. To see it come together like the way I had planned it from building the roster and getting the team together, it’s the best I’ve felt going into Napa since I’ve been here.

“I’m anxiously awaiting preseason games now. I want to see how they can gel and come together I feel pretty good about this team . . . really good.”

Sitting at a table with beat writers on a patio at the Napa Marriott, McKenzie flashed a big smile when he asked what was different this year.

“Y’all can’t tell?,” McKenzie said. “It’s obvious. I think we’re big and strong. I think we’re fast. I like the way the players are responding to the coaches. The energy is off the chain. It’s looking the way I like it to look.

“Players are flying around, going in the right directions. It’s been a competitive camp. I mean every position. These guys are feeling it. It’s going to bring out the best in each and every one of them.”

Among the other things McKenzie addressed in a 24-minute interview session with local writers:

— The Raiders have likely made contact with recently released Seattle defensive tackle Tony McDaniel, a starter who has experience with defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.

Asked if McDaniel could be added to the roster, McKenzie said, “There’s a chance.”

— Recent upgrades to the Alameda facility, even though the team isn’t committed to the Bay Area beyond this season, will send the players a message.

“It’s showing we’re committed to them, and that’s what it’s all about,” McKenzie said. “We’re committed to the players. It’s not about what’s going to happen down the road. This is the NFL and these players are here now. So let’s provde them with the best that we can. And I’m sure they will appreciate that.”

— The future of the franchise is secure with second-year quarterback Derek Carr.

“He’s got all the intangibles to go along with his talent level,” McKenzie said. “You’re talking about a sophomore player, it’s not like he’s a 10-year vet. It’s Year 2 and two systems. I don’t want to put all the pressure on him, but we’re looking for big things. we’re excited about his whole game, from a mental standpoint and physically.”

— A defensive philosophy which will often have Khalil Mack playing more as a defensive end than as a strong side linebacker.

“He’s pretty doggone good getting after the quarterback,” McKenzie said. “He’s just really good going forward and it’s an opportunity to really do a lot of things with him. He’s a dominant defensive player, so let him do what he does best and move him around, play him at different spots and I think that was the outlook for the defensive staff _ to put him in a position to make plays.”

— The addition of wide receiver Michael Crabtree, who has been a bright spot through four days of practice.

“Right off the bat you can tell he’s been working. That part is good,” McKenzie said. “His whole skill set is pretty much what we thought he could be. He can always catch teh ball . . . it seems like he and Derek are trying to get on point. That’s good.”

— The expectations for cornerback DJ Hayden, a first-round draft pick in 2013 who is competing for a starting spot.

“Year three is the year to kind of show who you are as an NFL player,” McKenzie said. “In that regard, this is an opportunity for him to show the league, `This is who I am as a player.’ ”

— The progress of running back Latavius Murray, currently the leader to be the Raiders’ lead runner.

“This is the first offseason he didn’t have to go through (injury) rehab,” McKenzie said. “Coming into training camp he’s 100 percent. Last year he didn’t get his opportunity until Week 10, 11. That part wasn’t his fault. He was ready to play. If he can stay healthy I don’t think anything is holding him back.”

Raiders DC Ken Norton Jr. says Raiders defense has potential to be like dominant defense he assisted in Seattle

Posted on August 3, 2015 by Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

A transcription of defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.’s first training camp media session Monday as provided by the Raiders:

Q: Coach Norton, it’s your first training camp as a defensive coordinator in the National Football League and being with the Oakland Raiders. What are your opening thoughts?

Norton: “I’m really excited. I really like Napa; really nice town. The team is really working hard and I’m really happy to be here putting my stamp on this defense. It’s been really exciting so far.”

Q: It seems like you’re in perpetual motion. Have you always been like that as a coach?

Norton: “Yeah, I always pattern my coaching after how I played. I’m going to approach it that way – with a lot of energy, with a lot of enthusiasm and really enjoy what I do, and it’s contagious to my players.”

Q: Do you ever have to get yourself going in the morning or are you just naturally like that?

Norton: “I’m naturally that way from the way I am and being around my coaching staffs from the past years. A lot of energy and enthusiasm, that’s the only way how to do it.”

Q: What’s the biggest difference from being a position coach to now taking on the whole defense? Do you find yourself spreading yourself out or do you still find yourself heading toward those linebackers?

Norton: “The biggest difference is I don’t have one position to coach – I’m coaching all the positions now. I have a whole group. In the old days it was just the linebackers, now the whole room is my room. Now the whole room feels who I am and what’s important to me, and I’m able to spread myself amongst others.”

Q: What do you want the Oakland Raiders defense to look like? What kind of identity do you want to have?

Norton: “Good, very competitive, smart, tough, enthusiastic and just playing really hard. I want to let them know that we coach effort first. What are they made of? How hard are you playing? When you guys watch them play I want it to jump off the film that these guys really want it and they’re really playing hard.”

Q: A few of the players were talking about how this energy thing is from morning until night. It sounds almost like there’s a military influence there. Is there any of that?

Norton: “Well, my father was in the military, my grandfather was and my great uncle was, so there’s some military influence. But I just love ball and I know how to do it one way – a lot of energy and enthusiasm. I think if you love what you do, it’s not work; you just wake up clapping and go to work. This is what we do and I want to make sure everybody enjoys being here. If you don’t enjoy being here, you’re in the wrong place. We love ball.”

Q: You have an interesting mix of young players and veteran players. Who’s jumping out to you and how do you see the position battles shaping up?

Norton: “The central thing is competition, as you know. There’s competition all across the board in every position group. At the same time, [Charles] Woodson steps out, and [Justin] Tuck and Khalil [Mack] – the main guys that you know. Those guys are really leading the way. They really bought in and understand who I am and what this defense is supposed to be like, and I’m very happy with the way they’re leading the younger guys.”

Q: Is it tough to get veterans excited about camp?

Norton: “Well if they love ball, no. We know how temporary this game is and we know how short the window is to play, so no. If they love ball and they’re a veteran, no. I can’t even imagine that.”

Q: In the grand scheme of things, where does scheme fit in as opposed to passion, energy and effort?

Norton: “It all fits in together. You have passion, energy and effort because you love ball, but you also have to be smart. You have to know what you’re doing and you have to study. The guys are really taking it in and guys are working together, watching their iPads and talking a lot of ball. We know we’re in meetings day in and day out, so scheme has everything to do with it, but you have to combine it. You can’t just have scheme and a bunch of guys who don’t want to play or a bunch of guys who do want to play but don’t know what they’re doing; there’s a combination between the talent and the passion and each guy working together and understanding their connection across the board.”

Q: Some of the guys in the offseason program talked about how the scheme was more basic to where they were just allowed to play fast. Is that something you believe in?

Norton: “I just want them to know what they’re doing. If you put too much, then you’re spreading yourself out. I’ve always known that you get really good at one thing and you get really good at it, then you go to the next thing. It’s important that they understand that no one’s going to out-play us, no one’s going to out-effort us and no one’s going to out-scheme us. You guys are going to know exactly where you are, the connection between everybody.”

Q: Reggie McKenzie was asked this morning about the possibility of taking a look at Tony McDaniel. He said yeah to possibility. You’re familiar with him. What kind of player is he or what could he bring?

Norton: “I’ve had some good battles and good times with Tony. Those decisions are made in another group but if they can do anything to help improve us, if there’s someone out there that can help us get better, let’s bring him in and give him a shot.”

Q: How key is a middle linebacker to your defense, having brought in Curtis Lofton in the offseason?

Norton: “When you have a former middle linebacker as your coordinator and a former middle linebacker as your head coach, that position becomes very important. And you look at Curtis’ background and he’s played a lot of football for a long time and hasn’t missed any games. So, he’s very, very productive. Very smart. Knows how to play ball. And knows how to run the defense. And he’s a guy I’m glad we have.”

Q: How much from your experience at Seattle, are you able to bring in and incorporate. That’s a pretty nasty defense up there.

Norton: “Absolutely. It was. It didn’t start out that way. We had to build. And we had to understand the positions and the people and the knowledge and everybody working together. And I think it just takes time. Time, energy as a function of us developing who we want to be.”

Q: Would you like your cornerbacks to be physical at the line of scrimmage?

Norton: “We like them to play hard, we like the competition that’s a factor, but again, we also like guys who bump and run and who make great plays on the ball. Absolutely.”

Q: There’s a conscious decision made in the offseason after three years of bringing in veteran corners. But now developing the guys we got. How’s that coming along?

Norton: “Pretty good. We’ve only been here a little over a week. Again, the competition is there. The young corners that I’ve been with in the past, they started out with no one knowing who they were, then all of the sudden they’re the stars of the league. And it’s a matter of coaching, developing, time, energy, effort and just the group. The whole group. A village raising everybody. So I’m real happy with where we are and we still have a long way to go.”

Q: Do you see a certain potential with this group here?

Norton: “Absolutely. At this point, yes. The competition, the talent, it’s just a matter of work. It’s a matter of experience. It’s a matter of time. It takes time. Winners aren’t built in a week. It takes time. That’s what camp is for and they’re working their tails off.”

Q: A guy like Khalil Mack, he stood out as a leader. It’s pretty clear you guys are counting on him a lot. Have you ever had a guy that you used the same way as he is? Have you seen a guy like him before?

Norton: “Khalil is special. There are a lot of players that might be similar. But he’s in a class of his own. Bruce Irvin in Seattle was similar. But, at the same time, Khalil is built. He’s athletic. He’s smart. And he’s relentless. And those things, that versatility, gives you the ability to move him at end, at back, or put him behind the ball. He’s amazing. He’s the type of guy that we want to surround with good football players.”

Q: Are you going to move him around some or would you like him to be at that end spot?

Norton: “Well, I’m not going to talk about schemes, but he’s going to be at a position to make plays.”

Q: Coach Del Rio made a major emphasis at leaving the last several years in the rear-view mirror. But, that being said, did you spend much time, at all, even looking at what the defense played like last year, just to get an idea of the guys that came back? Or did you just move ahead?

Norton: “Well, you have to know your personnel. You have to know who’s playing D-line, linebacker, corner, safety. You have to know who you have. So we spent a lot of time when we first arrived here, to understand who we are, understand what our needs are, understand who has talent, then that’s where you go into the free agency and the draft. They give you the guides from that. But, yes. We do know who we have and watched them, yes.”

Q: How does Mario Edwards Jr. look so far? What does he need to work on?

Norton: “Edwards is just young and he’s doing some fantastic things. The things we saw on the film when we scouted him, he’s a lot twitchier, he’s fast, he moves pretty good. So we’re very, very, very, happy with his development. And he’s only getting better.”

Q: You could bring him both inside and outside. Is that what you like about him? He’s versatile?

Norton: “He’s versatile, fast. He’s a good football player.”

Just a quick update on the Oakland stadium situation:

Vic Tafur of the SF Chronicle has reported that Floyd Kephart is out of the picture. I also confirmed that with my own sources. However, Kephart has publicly denied this. In addition, I have heard a rumour that the Oakland City Council and Kephart are going to hold a press conference the day before the NFL owners meetings which are in a week's time. As to the content of the presser, I have no idea. It would most likely be to do with the purchase of land. That being said, I haven't been able to verify the rumour anywhere, so I won't be surprised if it's more rubbish being spun by the City of Oakland. FWIW, this rumour, if it comes true, would be against the Raiders wishes. The Raiders don't want anything stadium related to be revealed to the public.

Purdy: Political dealings muddle A's, Raiders futures in Oakland
By Mark Purdy Mercury News Columnist

POSTED: 08/05/2015 07:03:11 PM PDT# COMMENTS| UPDATED: 63 MIN. AGO

I try so hard not to constantly dump on Oakland politicians. I really do. But that exercise constantly tests my goodwill attitude and sunny nature.

Recently, even more so. I look at the way things are headed with the Raiders and A's and their stadium pursuits. And I fail to see how any public official connected to the situation can escape ridicule. The politicos keep hurling themselves into quicksand, then claim they were pushed into the muck.

Not that the Raiders and A's owners are perfect human beings, understand. But I totally grasp why Mark Davis and Lew Wolff must resist an urge to rip out their hair after engaging with East Bay legislators.

For example: My reliable information is that one Alameda County supervisor has been telling friends that the county has internally conceded it cannot satisfy the Raiders. As a result, the county's focus has switched primarily to keeping the A's in Oakland, figuring the NFL team is definitely going to Los Angeles.

But that's not what the Raiders say -- or have been told. And new Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf is floating a plan, partially on the NFL's recommendation, to buy out the county's share of the Coliseum property in hopes of making it simpler to cut a Raiders deal ... except, wait! Wolff, the A's co-owner, is on record as not endorsing that buyout idea. That's because the county has more resources to tap in assembling a ballpark package for his baseball team. Wolff wants the county in, not out.

And of course, the strange saga of Floyd Kephart continues. The San Diego businessman has until Aug. 21 to present the final version of his blueprint to transform the Oakland Coliseum area into a massive mixed-use development that includes stadiums for both the A's and Raiders. Even though both teams have rejected Kephart's overtures.

Yeesh. Got all that? I know, I know. The whole thing gives me a headache, too. But let me make an effort to sort out the mess.

Let's start with this opinion: Oakland must bid farewell to the comic stylings of Kephart and his pie-by-the-freeway Coliseum City plan. The sooner, the better. The quickest that can happen is when Kephart's exclusive negotiating agreement expires in September.

And after that? My stance has not changed: Oakland must decide which of the two teams it wishes to keep -- the Raiders or the A's? And then the politicians must work like crazy to put together a fair stadium agreement with that lone franchise while making sure the terms do not fleece East Bay citizens.

Good luck with that. To understand why, I will offer a primer.

Here is how other cities conduct stadium negotiations with professional sports teams:

The city talks to the team owners. The team owners talk to the city. The two parties reach a deal. Or they don't.

Here is how Oakland conducts stadium negotiations with its professional teams:

First, Oakland brings to the table a problematic setup where the city and county share ownership of the preferred property on which the stadiums can be built. Then the city greenlights an improbable potential project headed by a third party (Kephart) who is authorized to be a middle man in getting the teams on board.

And then, in the middle of all this, the city suddenly talks about a plan to buy out the county -- even though no one knows exactly how the city can come up with the dough to pay for the county's portion of the land as well as the roughly $60 million in debt that the county still owes as part of the disastrous 1995 Raiders deal.

Yeah, it'll be a snap getting deals done with both teams under those conditions. (Pause here for laughter.) If anything is going to happen, though, giving a big farewell wave to Kephart would be a good first step. Certain details of his plan, first reported by this newspaper's Matthew Artz, were preposterous. Among other things, Kephart wants to force Davis to sell part of his team to an investor -- and then force Davis to use $100 million of that new money to help pay for the stadium.

Huh? If Davis really wanted to contribute an extra $100 million in addition to the $500 million he's already pledged to the project, then why wouldn't he just borrow the extra $100 million and retain that share of the team for himself? And if Davis wants a new investor, why shouldn't he pick the person he'd prefer rather than have Kephart dictate the investor to him?

There might still be a path to getting a new Raiders stadium built in Oakland. But Kephart isn't part of that path. He needs to go.

Meanwhile, with the Raiders investigating a Southern California option when their lease expires after this season, the Athletics are sitting on their 10-year lease and waiting to see what happens. Some angry A's fans want to know why Wolff hasn't stepped up to present his own ballpark proposal. The other day on the phone, I asked him.

"The Raiders deserve a period of time to see what they can get done," Wolff said. "We are pursuing our analysis of a ballpark in Oakland as required by MLB. Both the city and county have been helpful with that."

One popular narrative is that the Raiders are seeking to push the A's out of Oakland, and vice versa. After talking to Davis and Wolff several times about this topic, I disagree. The Raiders don't want the A's to leave. The A's don't want the Raiders to leave. But this much is true: Both teams are finding it harder to believe that Oakland can come up with a strategy to retain both franchises.

Given the bureaucratic mud pit the officials have created for themselves, I'm beginning to wonder if Oakland can even retain one.

Read Mark Purdy's blog atblogs.mercurynews.com/purdy. Contact him at mpurdy@mercurynews.com. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/MercPurdy.

Prototype or not, Raiders’ J’Marcus Webb in position to seize starting position at right guard

Posted on August 5, 2015 by Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

NAPA _ J’Marcus Webb realizes he doesn’t fit the prototype of an NFL guard.

He’s not built like left guard Gabe Jackson, a soft drink machine with feet. His height (6-foot-7) and wing span are classic traits of a tackle, a position he played for all of his 44 starts on both the left and the right side for the Chicago Bears from 2010 to 2012.

Yet there was Webb, continuing to work at the first-team right guard position Wednesday vacated by Austin Howard, who was moved outside to right tackle in the offseason.

“I don’t think I look like a guard, but I feel like a guard,” Webb said.

If Webb can win the job at right guard, it would enable the Raiders to keep veteran Khalif Barnes as a swing player capable of playing anywhere but center, fortifying the line in terms of depth.

“He’s done a nice job,”’ coach Jack Del Rio said. “I think we’re going to have a heck of a line. We have a good physical front, and they’re active.”

The left side of the line, with Donald Penn at tackle and Jackson at guard, is carved in stone, barring injury. The same could be said of center Rodney Hudson.

Webb appears to have the edge at right guard, with Menelik Watson getting first-team work over Howard at right tackle. In one practice sequence, with the offense backed up against its own goal line, inside blocks by Webb and Hudson helped spring Latavius Murray for a nice gain.

Raiders line coach Mike Tice came to Webb with the idea of a position change during the offseason program. Tice was the line coach for the Chicago Bears Webb got all but one of his NFL starts.

His career stalled in the last two seasons in Minnesota, getting one start in 2013 and appearing in a game only once last season before being released Dec. 16. Webb was one of the least talked about of the Raiders free agent acquisitions, signing on April 2.

“It was a great opportunity and I definitely appreciate it,” Webb said. “The move to guard was definitely something I was excited about.. Being a starter is the goal.”

The biggest adjustment for Webb is the increased communication that goes on with Hudson at center, a greater number of combination blocks and very little in the way of the kind of isolation that goes with taking on an outside pass rusher.

“Things happen a little quicker there on the inside,” Del Rio said.

Webb is so far pleased with his progress, particularly since full contact began in training camp.

“I got some time in the offeason to work on my strength and my hands and my focus and I think it’s going pretty good,” Webb said. “You put the pads on and it’s a good time to knock a few heads around and get acclimated to the position.”

Being a guard also means Webb will have farther to go on outside plays, putting a premium on movement.

“Getting out in space and moving around will let me showcase my talents and ability to strike and get my hands on guys,” Webb said.

— Running back Trent Richardson and wide receiver Rod Streater are still on the non-football illness list, and defensive tackle Stacy McGee remains on the physically unable to perform list.

Also out is tight end Clive Walford, who hasn’t been at a full-squad workout, and running back Roy Helu Jr., who missed his second straight practice with an undisclosed injury.

Del Rio didn’t seem overly concerned about the absences.

“I think we’re progressing along just fine with the guys that are hoping to join us,” Del Rio said.

— After a day off, Del Rio said he was pleased with the play early in the session, but that it wasn’t as crisp as the practice went on.

— DJ Hayden had his hands full during one 7-on-7 sequence, giving up three completions in four attempts, with Derek Carr hitting Michael Crabtree twice and Amari Cooper once in his area. On the incompletion, Cooper was open but couldn’t haul in a medium-deep pass.

Hayden had Crabtree closely contested on both completions, with the veteran receiver screening off Hayden as if he were a basketball post player.

Del Rio likes the Carr-Crabtree combination but also said Hayden has been “on point . . .he’s come out and competed and focused really well.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back