Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Chewy316 any inkling on whether we're a player for Chancellor?

At this stage, there is no chance that the Raiders trade for Chancellor. The Raiders are pretty happy as is with their safety situation. It's more the corners that are the problem in the secondary. They like what they have from a developmental perspective however. It's very much a case of "we've drafted these guys. We can no longer let them develop in practice only, we gotta play em."

Having spoken to people well informed of the situation, the Raiders and Smith (alone with Smith's reps) are confident that nothing will come of his latest situation. This signing has the potential to change the entire Raiders D. DC's were shitting themselves already planning just for Mack. Now they have to worry about Mack AND Smith, not to mention playing both at DE with Tuck inside on passing downs. As one source said to me, "good luck."

Sio Moore saga more complex than first glance will show

By Jason Leskiw @LeskiwSFBay

September 7, 2015

Sio Moore is a man of many faces.

Recently traded to the Colts for a sixth-round pick, Moore was going through a relatively longstanding rift with Oakland’s new coaches.

A large part of that is understandable, especially for a linebacker such as Moore. There’s a lot of things the general public doesn’t know about Moore, some of them mundane details, but likely interesting nonetheless.

Part of the rift may have originated long before head coach Jack Del Rio and defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. arrived with the Raiders.

A lot of it was going on when Jason Tarver was defensive coordinator.

This happening while other linebackers were in team meetings. It was so common that it’s hard to believe it was without Tarver’s permission. This is a simple presumption, and Sio nor Tarver are with the Raiders anymore.

But it’s the only logical explanation for why Moore would be in the locker room during these times, while other’s were in meeting rooms.

I also have extreme trouble believing that Moore would still be starting a few days after bailing from a team meeting while other linebackers were there. There’s no way that would go down in any NFL organization. He must have been excused.

It also doesn’t make sense that he would be retained by McKenzie for that long, unless Tarver allowed it. It really doesn’t make sense because Moore had been playing at a decent level, with lots of promise for his football future.

That’s the conclusion I draw from the ultimate departure of Moore, and how it seemed. But there are more details, that don’t necessarily matter in the big picture, but that Moore and the team are best served with the knowledge of the public:

1. Moore would arrive, and leave, wearing pajama pants. While players like James Jones preferred track suits, and others such as Khalil Mack usually dressed in jeans and a polo, Moore came to work like he had just rolled out of bed.

2. Moore displayed what I interpreted as narcissistic tendencies, often the result of suppressed depression. I believe that Moore had trouble fitting in with crowds early in life, and throughout his life, though he’d never mentioned it before. He was comfortable with one-on-one interviews when we spoke, but never in a gaggle.

3. He remained confident in his teammates throughout two very bad seasons. His fiery personality never seemed to spill over in a bad manner within the Raiders locker room.

4. An example of this, sometime late in the 2014 season, Moore found himself in disagreement with the rest of his nearby lockermates. He was the only player who considered Walter Payton the greatest running back of all time. The rest, including myself in this particular instance, opined that Barry Sanders gets the crown.

5. Other names mentioned include Emmitt Smith (who was faulted for having a premier offensive line), O.J. Simpson, and Jim Brown. It’s unfair, really, to crown Sanders with all this greatness. But Moore loves him some ‘Sweetness.’

Moore got along with the fellas, and was typically in the middle of it all when jokes were being flung around. He is a happy-go-lucky person. And Stevie Wonder could see that.

6. Moore was always the most energetic player on the Raiders practice field, or in the locker room. The guy couldn’t stop moving. Call it attention deficit disorder, call it being outworked and simply less tired. It’s tough to deny that he’d help pick up others when they were tired. There’s no questioning that.

Moore carried qualities that were very unique, particularly when discussing an NFL linebacker. He was much more little kid than he was grown man, and it showed in his demeanor.

In most settings, that’s welcomed. But entering the third year of his professional career, and with incoming coaches tasked with winning immediately, he just didn’t fit well enough. Factor in major hip surgery, and no promise that he’d return to his old form, and that’s not going to work.

He also called a reporter a loser on Twitter for tweeting he was back on Twitter. As a fan favorite tweeter, and a fan favorite on Sunday, Moore should have known the reporter meant no harm.

Especially with an understanding that he was in the doghouse. He earned everything he got. That includes his meager by NFL standards third round rookie paycheck, his time in the doghouse, and his trade.

Frankly, it worked out for him. As much as Raiders fans might not want to acknowledge it, he’s on a team looking at the Super Bowl before the season starts.

It’s not too far-fetched to consider a healthy and productive Moore the missing piece to a Colts team that desperately lacks defense to be a true contender.

He’s earned that, too. But if he wants to continue a road like that, and the potential of being a highly coveted free agent, he’s going to have to mature some. Maybe a lot.

He’ll have to unplug his phone from the portable speaker, and change his life’s tune.

The biggest disappointment for me is the D looking lost. Even with Cooper getting thugged and Carr's injury

At this stage, there is no chance that the Raiders trade for Chancellor. The Raiders are pretty happy as is with their safety situation. It's more the corners that are the problem in the secondary. They like what they have from a developmental perspective however. It's very much a case of "we've drafted these guys. We can no longer let them develop in practice only, we gotta play em."

Things have changed quickly

The Oakland Raiders could be without both starting safeties this week.

Eight-time Pro Bowler Charles Woodson suffered a dislocated shoulder in Sunday's loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via people who have spoken with the player.

Woodson is campaigning against missing game action, per Rapoport, but the 18-year veteran might be overruled by the coaches and medical staff.

Oakland also lost safety Nate Allen for several weeks due to a torn MCL, Rapoport reported Monday, per a source informed of the results.

With both starters potentially sidelined, the Raiders brought back Taylor Mays. The coaching staff plans to start Mays this week against the Baltimore Ravens, a team he played twice a year in his four seasons with the Bengals.

Things have changed quickly

The Oakland Raiders could be without both starting safeties this week.

Eight-time Pro Bowler Charles Woodson suffered a dislocated shoulder in Sunday's loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via people who have spoken with the player.

Woodson is campaigning against missing game action, per Rapoport, but the 18-year veteran might be overruled by the coaches and medical staff.

Oakland also lost safety Nate Allen for several weeks due to a torn MCL, Rapoport reported Monday, per a source informed of the results.

With both starters potentially sidelined, the Raiders brought back Taylor Mays. The coaching staff plans to start Mays this week against the Baltimore Ravens, a team he played twice a year in his four seasons with the Bengals.

I've already spoken with a source who have said the only chance the Raiders trade for Chancellor would be if Jack bypasses Reggie and goes to Mark, who approves a trade. Even then, there is no chance they would even consider parting with a 1st round pick. In other words, it's not gonna happen.

We've been unlucky on the safety front though. No one would've predicted that both Allen and Woodson get injured on the same week, not to mention your backup (Brandian Ross) going on IR in pre-season, and your 4th guy (Dowling) getting cut due to off-field concerns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGill played some safety at college but not sure we can cut into the CB's. They have their own problems.

We need to play Mack at LB.

McGill is a terrible football player. He fits this scheme (HWS wise) perfectly, yet can't hack it. He will not be playing as a safety, only in a pinch and even then they wouldn't want to do it.

As for Mack at LB, I don't really think that's going to solve the problems. Here's why:

The problem is Ray Ray Armstrong at the Sam LB position. He plays every down, with middle linebacker Lofton coming out when we go to the nickel package. If we play around 35 snaps in the nickel per game, Armstrong is rushing the passer on 5-6 of those, no more. The rest he's dropping back into coverage. Though Mack can play coverage good, if you are going to play him at linebacker in the nickel, you reduce the pass rush. Mack is best coming at the QB, not as good at dropping into coverage.

I agree that I'd rather Mack play sam linebacker in the base package, but the base package isn't the real problem that we have. Our main problem is when we go into the nickel and Armstrong gets lined up on a RB or a TE in coverage. Right now, we don't have a better replacement there.

I'd really like to see Mack line up in the Bruce Irvin sam linebacker spot, and have Aldon Smith as the Cliff Avril LEO, when they play in the base package. But yeah, we really have a massive hole in the nickel package...

What a dumbass...

Wait...It gets even better....
`````````````````````````````````````

Todd Archer ESPN Staff Writer

If newly-acquired receiver Brice Butler is on the Cowboys' 53-man roster for six games, then the Cowboys will give up their fifth-round pick in 2016 but get the Raiders’ sixth-round pick next year in return as well. With a bye week, the Cowboys have seven weeks to make a judgment on whether to keep him or not.

Jack Del Rio recently said (as little as half an hour ago) that they traded Butler to free up a roster spot. Initially this didn't make sense because they designated Allen to IR (return) and released Gabe Holmes, freeing up spots for CJ Wilson and Taylor Mays. So thereby, there is one spot still to be filled. I've been informed that that spot will be filled by practice squad safety Tevin McDonald. McDonald had a good training camp and pre-season, and will likely get a lot of playing time as the 3rd safety on Sunday. Keenan Lambert is still on the roster at the safety position, though the staff sees him more as a special teams player.

Welcome to the NFL

Not only did the officiating crew in the game Sunday neglect their duties by not ejecting Jones, but now the NFL is doing their damndest to not make up for it.

I think the answer is simple. The fault here clearly lies in Amari Cooper on this one. Damn you, Amari, why don't you get injured more easily? If only you had writhed around on the ground like a soccer player and had them haul you out the game secured on a gurney, they might have taken this more seriously.

This is your fault Amari. Call it a rookie mistake. Outdid by the crafty veteran Pac Man Jones.

By Levi Damien

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m4 minutes ago
Tried hard to move CB Hayden but #Cowboys unwilling to part with $25 Burger King gift card that was demanded.

Sorry, but i did laugh hard.

Is Hayden really that bad? Truth be told i haven't seen many of his games, i know CW is still the best (didnt like seeing him injured, I've always loved the now, beastly old man) player in your secondary but has DJ really stunk it up that much since he was taken in the 1st round only a couple of years back?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back