Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Murray's two turnovers were pissweak. The play calling on our last drive was frustrating - once in FG territory we didn't even properly push for a TD.

Disappointing game and one that may prove to be very costly, if we ever are to be a serious chance of making the playoffs this season.

it was disappointing to lose, but it was just one of those crazy games from both teams. so many wild things going on both sides of the ball. good and bad play from both teams, big plays from both defenses and offenses and special teams. one of those games where either team would've won, last possession of the game. I am upset we lost, but not at all devastated, or upset with the effort from the team or coaches.

im not about to wallow in mass wrist-slitting chat. I really think there'll be over-reaction by us over the week, when really there are good signs from our first month of games, and we're trending up, we're still progressing, and it'll be an ENJOYABLE year to follow us thruout the entire 17 weeks. We'll be in the playoff conversation all year.

murray blew the momentum we had, he had a shocker. but our D did great, especially as we lost a lot of D players in the game. carr looks great, etc.

We seemed to be pushing uphill all game. Never really got settled. In past years we would've lost that game by at least a dozen. Contrary to popular belief, I liked the play calling in the fourth quarter. Our running game was consistently getting 4 yard chunks. It was 3rd and short. Maybe in hindsight we go play action and try to hit someone like Reece in the flat for the first down. Walford just completely missed the block. If he executes the play, we get a first down, and we run the clock down further.

I was most disappointed with Murray today. #1 for a running back is taking care of the football, and he screwed up twice on that front. Not good enough.

Don't get all the criticism for Ken Norton and the D. Christ, I mean look at who he has to work with in the secondary this year. Starting free safety out, move your #1 corner to safety because both backups (Asante and Mays) are hot garbage (from a starting perspective). Then Carrie gets injured early and is out for the game. Then Mays also got injured and IIRC, did not return. The pass rush was able to get to Cutler today with 3 sacks and a fair amount of pressures. Coverage did not hold up well enough. Lofton needs to be taken out of the nickel. I'd be putting Heeney in there in the nickel at this point. Actually, I'd rather us sign Bernard Pollard and play him as a hybrid linebacker (like Deone Buchanan in Arizona) in the nickel. Amerson has potential, but even he made a terrible error on the TE touchdown today; gotta switch his man in the red zone there.

When passing against Lofton this year, the completion rate has been 100% on 16/16 throws. He needs to get out of the nickel, it's as simple as that. He's too big a liability. Overall, the D is improving though. Next week will be a huge ask.

We seemed to be pushing uphill all game. Never really got settled. In past years we would've lost that game by at least a dozen. Contrary to popular belief, I liked the play calling in the fourth quarter. Our running game was consistently getting 4 yard chunks. It was 3rd and short. Maybe in hindsight we go play action and try to hit someone like Reece in the flat for the first down. Walford just completely missed the block. If he executes the play, we get a first down, and we run the clock down further.

I was most disappointed with Murray today. #1 for a running back is taking care of the football, and he screwed up twice on that front. Not good enough.

Don't get all the criticism for Ken Norton and the D. Christ, I mean look at who he has to work with in the secondary this year. Starting free safety out, move your #1 corner to safety because both backups (Asante and Mays) are hot garbage (from a starting perspective). Then Carrie gets injured early and is out for the game. Then Mays also got injured and IIRC, did not return. The pass rush was able to get to Cutler today with 3 sacks and a fair amount of pressures. Coverage did not hold up well enough. Lofton needs to be taken out of the nickel. I'd be putting Heeney in there in the nickel at this point. Actually, I'd rather us sign Bernard Pollard and play him as a hybrid linebacker (like Deone Buchanan in Arizona) in the nickel. Amerson has potential, but even he made a terrible error on the TE touchdown today; gotta switch his man in the red zone there.

When passing against Lofton this year, the completion rate has been 100% on 16/16 throws. He needs to get out of the nickel, it's as simple as that. He's too big a liability. Overall, the D is improving though. Next week will be a huge ask.
All exactly my sentiments.

I'd also start Helu next week. He looked great reeling off chunks of yards after Murray got benched.

I wouldn't start Helu. Murray is young and has all the tools to be a very good RB in the league. I'm not going to give up on him because of two errors he made last week. I do think that Helu deserves to be in the game plan a little more. He played well yesterday. I'd certainly be using him as our primary kick returner (see the last play of the game if you haven't already) in the event that Taiwan Jones is unable to play again this Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our best DB is turning 39 today. Be nice if he could get someone to start pushing him out as a starter. Happy birthday CWood.

Still playing like he's 10 years younger though, will go til he's 45 (jokes), Robert Parish style. Amazing that he is still playing the sport at such a high level at his age, insta HOF. :thumbsu:

Raiders look to break seven-game losing streak against Broncos

Posted on October 10, 2015 by Jimmy Durkin

ALAMEDA — The Denver Broncos have kicked the Raiders around seven straight times.

But in this long-time rivalry, Oakland has never lost eight straight and that’s what the Raiders (2-2) will try to avoid when the first-place Broncos (4-0) come to O.co Coliseum on Sunday.

Only five Raiders were on the roster the last time they beat Denver in the 2011 season opener. That includes kicker Sebastian Janikowski, who will play in his franchise record 241st game Sunday, breaking his tie with Tim Brown.

Janikowski’s bought in to the fact that times are changing under coach Jack Del Rio.

“I think when Jack came in, he changed the whole culture,” Janikowski said. “The guys that we have right now, I think we can go a long way.”

The Raiders haven’t won their AFC West opener since that victory over Denver in 2011 and haven’t had a winning record in the division since 2010, when they went 6-0 but still finished in third place.

Last week’s 22-20 last-second loss in Chicago slowed the hype of this game a little bit, but a win would get the Raiders right back on track in the division. That’s about as much as the Raiders will allow in terms of how big it might be to beat the Broncos.

“You never what game is going to be the game that decides whatever,” center Rodney Hudson said. “I think every game is important, especially division games. I will say that. A division game is especially important. You play these teams twice so it’s always important to get these wins.

That’s what wide receiver Michael Crabtree was stressing after last week’s last second defeat in Chicago.

“We’ve got a tougher opponent, a divisional game,” Crabtree said after the loss. “We can’t trip off this game.”

Crabtree expressed a similar attitude when brushing off the season-opening loss — “It’s one game,” he said then, “Everybody’s sad, but it’s one game. We’re good. — and the team responded with two straight wins.

It would good indicator of the team’s fortitude if they can bounce back again with a pair of division games up next — following a bye, the Raiders play at San Diego in two weeks.

But one of Del Rio’s biggest strengths has been the focus he’s brought to the locker room and he said anything that happens Sunday won’t be taken out of proportion.

“It would mean we’re 1-0 in the division,” Del Rio said of a potential victory. “It would mean that Week 5 was successful. It’s one game.

“It’s a division game, so they count a little more than just one. It’s the first of six division games that we’re going to have this year. We get them at home and it’s going to be a heck of a challenge.”

The Broncos have been a challenge especially since Peyton Manning joined the team in 2012. He’s quarterbacked the last six victories over Oakland and none have been closer than a 26-13 Broncos win at the Coliseum during his first season with Denver.

Collectively, the Raiders have been outscored 260-109 during their seven-game losing streak, an average margin of defeat of more than three touchdowns.

Much of the roster can feign ignorance of having not experienced all of those defeats — only Janikowski, fullback Marcel Reece and long snapper Jon Condo have played in all of them — but last year’s losses were two of the worst, coming at a combined 88-31 margin.

“I’ve played against them twice,” Raiders quarterback Derek Carr said. “I know the talent that they have. They’re obviously very talented everywhere on that defense. We have our work cut out for us, but we’re excited to compete.”

* Janikowski’s record brings some validation to a move that raised eye brows at the time when Janikowski was taken in the first round of the 2000 draft.

“It’s always a surprise if a kicker goes in the first round,” Janikowski said, “but I think in the end, it pays off. Sixteen years later, looking at all the records and this is another record in the books.”

Janikowski is already the franchise’s all-time scoring lead with 1,605 points and is four shy of matching Jason Hanson’s record of 52 field goal from 50-plus yards.

While his selection was a surprise, he’s been a good fit as a Raider and the atypical kicker who can actually produce an intimidating presence. He lamented recently to Condo, his long snapper since 2007, that he didn’t do a biceps workout and Condo used that to blame him for the game-winning field goal by the Bears’ Robbie Gould.

“He was like, ‘Ah, I didn’t do biceps the other day’,” Condo said. “I go, ‘That’s probably why Robbie kicked them field goals because you didn’t do those extra biceps to intimidate the other kicker.’”

Janikowski’s physical stature — he’s listed at 6-foot-1, 265 pounds — has apparently led to him being confused for former Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher.

“I always pick on him that he needs to get that barbed wire tattoo on his arm like Brian Urlacher,” Condo said. “There’s a couple times people got confused calling him Brian at the Lake Tahoe golf tournament he plays in every summer.”

Even in his 16th season, Janikowski doesn’t plan on hanging it up any time soon.

“I feel great,” he said. “Maybe six, seven, eight more years. You never know. I’m just a kicker.”

TJ Carrie has been upgraded to questionable. Tevin McDonald has also been brought up from the practice squad and Taylor Mays has been released. I spoke to a source a few days ago about Carrie, they told me he wasn't in a sling or limited in his movement. I won't be surprised if he's a game-time decision tomorrow.

Raiders look to break seven-game losing streak against Broncos

Posted on October 10, 2015 by Jimmy Durkin

ALAMEDA — The Denver Broncos have kicked the Raiders around seven straight times.

But in this long-time rivalry, Oakland has never lost eight straight and that’s what the Raiders (2-2) will try to avoid when the first-place Broncos (4-0) come to O.co Coliseum on Sunday.

Only five Raiders were on the roster the last time they beat Denver in the 2011 season opener. That includes kicker Sebastian Janikowski, who will play in his franchise record 241st game Sunday, breaking his tie with Tim Brown.

………..

Even in his 16th season, Janikowski doesn’t plan on hanging it up any time soon.

“I feel great,” he said. “Maybe six, seven, eight more years. You never know. I’m just a kicker.”

Quite impressive by Jana to last this long.. I've got the GM syndicate from the Heisenburg Stare locking in Jana as the kicker. I anticipate 4. Can't see the Raiders D holding out the Broncos from getting 20+ as 19 won't be enough to win.

Really good defensive effort today - can't say the same about the offense (albeit against a very strong Denver D) and special teams.
Once again some conservative/questionable play calling when a touchdown was needed to decrease the deficit.
Screen pass to Reece on 4th and 19 - in what universe would that ever come off???

Slowly we're getting there. Next year seems most realistic
You're probably right, but just looking at teams' records currently, shows that the AFC does not bat too deep this year. 9-7 could well and truly be enough to claim a wildcard. I'm not by any means suggesting we'll reach that record, but you never know.

Slowly we're getting there. Next year seems most realistic

The team definitely has improved a lot this year. Just need to finish better. I feel as though we lost it today, as opposed to Denver winning it. 2 missed field goals and a pick 6 when in field goal range are game killers. Now for my least favourite week of the season (the bye).

We could've easily been 4-1 instead is the cruel thing. Or even 0-5 if the close ones we won we lost. Good teams win the close ones. We're 2-2 in that regard. A team middle of the road basically. 8-8 type season looming.

It's a better feeling this year knowing that we are unlikely to get smashed every week, as opposed to last year when we were resigned to a big defeat before even the clock striking 14:59 of the first quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back