Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day, who is buying season tickets anyway atm? Surely you are waiting to see what is going to happen?

The Raiders aren't actually selling tickets right now. They won't do any of that until they sign the 1 year lease at the Coliseum.

Whenever there’s a rumor about someone like Larry Ellison buying the Raiders, the assumption is that Mark Davis will have to sell at some point to avoid a massive estate tax hit when his mother dies.

But that might no longer be a concern for the Davis clan. According to Daniel Kaplan of the Sports Business Journal (last year), the NFL quietly changed ownership requirements to help teams stay within families while avoiding costly estate taxes. Read about it here.

the NFL is not going to ever allow a team to move from a large TV market to a much smaller TV market .. thats where the shared revenue is... bottom line... Rams moved to a larger market - Chargers will move to a larger market - the league doesn't go the other way...
didnt los angeles go to oakland?
didnt los angeles go to st louis?
didnt los angeles go to san diego?
didnt boston go to washington?
didnt dallas go to kansas city?
didnt chicago go to st louis?
didnt houston go to nashville?

and that's just off the top of my head.

Get on it!

http://www.raiders.com/fans/desksite.html

get

Highlights from an interview with former Raiders coach Tom Flores, owner of four Super Bowl rings
Posted on January 28, 2016 by Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Tom Flores gestures to members of the Los Angeles Raiders as they carry him off the field after their 38-9 victory over the Washington.in Super Bowl XVIII in Tampa Jan. 23, 1984. (AP)

Tom Flores is one of the most noteworthy and also underrated figures in Raiders history. He is the proud owner of four Super Bowl rings _ one as a backup quarterback with the Kansas City Chiefs, one as an assistant coach with the Raiders and two as head coach.

Flores not only directed two Super Bowl wins, but did it with teams that played at the absolute peak of their effectiveness on the day that it mattered most. He was the second Hispanic head coach in NFL history (after Tom Fears) and later coached and was president of the Seattle Seahawks.

Some highlights of an extensive interview with Flores this week on some of the great moments in Raiders Super Bowl history, his thoughts on Carolina coach Ron Rivera (who could be the third Hispanic head coach to win a Super Bowl) his frustration with the voting system for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the direction of the Raiders franchise under Jack Del Rio and Reggie McKenzie:

Winning rematches in Super Bowls XV and XVIII

“We had played our opponents (Philadelphia and Washington) earlier in the year. Both years, we knew their personality, and the one thing about Dick Vermeil and the one thing about Joe Gibbs, they didn’t change. Anything. Same characteristics, same personality. And of course, why should you? They were winning.”

The degree to which the Raiders partied in New Orleans before XV

“The partying was a better story. Vermeil’s story was true and boring. Our story wasn’t all true and it certainly wasn’t boring. We actually had curfew. But we didn’t start off with curfew early in the week.

“When we practiced, we practiced good. When we met, we met good. And everything we did that pertained to football was right on and the one thing that we didn’t want to do when we went down there was make it an abnormal week.

“We wanted to make it a very normal week, and on Thursday nights, the linemen used to go drink beer together, the offensive linemen would have camaraderie day and things of that nature. So we didn’t change a lot other than the things that are required by the NFL.”

A staged altercation to honor superstition

“We’d gone through the week and nobody has scuffled. So finally, someone said pick on Mickey Marvin, he’ll fight anybody and then he’ll say `I love you’ and it will all be over. He and Matt Millen tangled a bit, threw some punches and it was all over. We could go on with practice. It was a superstition the players had and we had to acquiesce to that.”

Turning things around with Jim Plunkett after starting 2-3 in 1980

“When Jim came into the Kansas City game after Dan Pastorini broke his leg he threw (five) interceptions. It was almost like he was trying to get his motor running. Once he did, the team rallied around him and we had to rally because we were on the verge of going 2-10.

“I remember telling the players we’re not changing anything because we’re not doing anything wrong. We just have to do everything better _ concentrate, be focused, committed. There were rumors flying around that I was going to get fired. We didn’t discuss it, I didn’t imply it, but they knew what was going on.”

Winning a ring as backup quarterback for the Chiefs in Super Bowl III

“We had beaten the Raiders, my old team. I had never wanted to leave. There wasn’t two weeks between that game and the Super Bowl. We started watching film of Minnesota . . . I looked at the tapes and said there’s no way this team can beat us. We are too good for them.”

The location of his four Super Bowl rings

“They’re in a safe. I don’t wear ’em that often. I’ll wear one this weekend when I come up to the Bay Area for some functions. I’ll wear one of ’em. More than one is too much, I think. But I guess it’s nice to have that option.”

Thoughts on Carolina coach Ron Rivera, who could become the second Hispanic head coach to win a Super Bowl

“I followed him his whole career, when he was at Cal, then with the Bears, that’s what you do when have something in common with a guy. He’s always been a tough, quiet guy. He’s coaching his style. You’ve got to do what you do best. When I took over I wasn’t going to be like John Madden because John was John. I was going to be like I am. Ron kind of does it that way. There are all kinds of ways to get things done. No one invented the right way. The right way is if you win.”

On crossing paths with Rivera

“We were both playing in the Gene Upshaw Memorial in Lake Tahoe. We got the chance to spend some time talking. No football talk, just friendship. His wife was there and I got a chance to meet her.”

On never making the final 15 in the Pro Football Hall of Fame voting

“I’m offended by it. There are a lot of lot of things I’ve done _ as a player, an assistant coach, the head coach. I’ve been on the competition committee, been a president and head coach in Seattle, involved with the game 55 years. I look at some things some of these other guys did and they never even won a Super Bowl, let alone in two different cities in three years, living in a hotel for 18 months. I think the voting system is so off-kilter.

“It doesn’t do any good for me to be worked up about it . . . they have this category now for a contributor, like Ron Wolf and Bill Polian. Maybe some day I can qualify that way.”

The lack of knowledge and respect for players from the 1960s or before

“Did you ever watch a guy named Hugh McElhenny run? Or John Henry Johnson? Marcus Allen was watching some old film in our building on Clem Daniels and he says, `Wow, that guy’s pretty good.’ I said, `No kidding. Do you think you invented the running game?”

The current direction of the Raiders

“I like the personality, the attitude, the types of players they’re getting, disciplined and smart. They’re going after key positions, with a dominant defensive player (Mack) and a quarterback (Carr) . . . we’re getting into a position where we’re becoming relevant in the league and I think that’s important. It’s important to the league that the Raiders are important. We’re not there yet.”

For sentimental reasons, I want us to pick Aaron Wallace Jnr. I reckon something like a Myles Jack, Ragland, Hargreaves in the first round will do us well, definitely need cover in the linebacker and defensive back areas, how is injury to Edwards? Reports were coming out that it was a lot more serious than reported

Edwards has posted on instagram - minor setback 4 major comeback.

Will Mark sue the NFL to get us to Vegas? It would probably be the only way.

It really would depend on how many different opportunities the NFL (and the owners) shut down. For instance, if they get nothing done in Oakland, and the NFL were to block any potential deals in San Diego, San Antonio and Las Vegas, Mark would have an extremely good case for filing an anti-trust suit against the league. Also of note, if the Raiders try to go to Vegas, they will have money (Adelson) on their side. Mark doesn't have deep pockets, but that guy sure does. He makes Kroenke look like an ant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oakland mayor wants to renew lease then focus on new stadium

Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2016, 2:29 AM EST

502438596-e1454311714328.jpg

Getty Images

As the 49ers prepare to host the Super Bowl, the Raiders aren’t preparing to do anything because they don’t know where they will be.

Oakland, meanwhile, is preparing to try to keep the Raiders over the long haul.

Appearing on KTVU on Sunday night, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf explained that the goal is to secure a renewal of the lease for the Raiders at O.co Coliseum before then focusing on negotiations with team owner Mark Davis that would lead to a “permanent, beautiful home for those Raiders” in Oakland.

At a time when taxpayer money is scarce for stadium projects, Schaaf mentioned only that “limited public tools” would be available to assist the process.

On the question of whether the Raiders’ flirtations with various other cities were more about leverage than finding a new home, Schaaf didn’t show her hand. “We’re waiting for Mark to explore his options, which he absolutely has the right to do,” she said.

But a hint of skepticism emerged when asked how she felt about the news that Davis was exploring the possibility of a stadium in Las Vegas. “I have spent the whole year as mayor looking at pictures of a stadium in Carson,” Schaaf said, in reference to a much-hyped project that failed to secure league approval.

Schaaf said that the team’s preferred $900 million Oakland stadium “can be done.” In the end, however, the question will be whether Oakland can or will do enough to make Davis ignore other options elsewhere.

Or, ultimately, whether the Raiders and the NFL will take the best deal they can get in Oakland, with talk of moving the team aimed merely at making the best deal even better.

Tuck retiring means we really need Edwards to get over that injury. Could be going after a DE early in the draft.

With all due respect, Tuck was not much more than a situational player going forward in 2016 had he hung around, but even so, he only played 5 games this season. We do need Edwards to come back healthy though, he was playing at a level imo that was higher than Mack's rookie season. He will be a multiple pro bowl player if he remains healthy.

We have about $70 million of cap space. Should be more with a few guys going. Looking forward to having a winning team next season.

One thing about the "we have heaps of cap room" argument that I don't think many people realise, is that players aren't going to be cut right now just to create cap space, unless they are completely redundant to the team. For instance, I can only consider Curtis Lofton and Roy Helu in that department. They shopped Helu around during pre-season last year and no one took him, decided to keep him on because they had no one else. As for Lofton, he will be gone very soon. Nate Allen would have been a cutting candidate but with Woodson retiring I'm not sure they will want too much change in the secondary.

We can afford to wait a while with some of these players. It's not as if keeping these guys on the roster right now is going to preclude us from signing anyone we want in free agency. That being said, I doubt we will pay many big contracts in free agency this off-season to begin with. That has never been Reggie's MO. I expect another solid off-season where we acquire maybe 3-4 players in free agency who are starting quality guys, and another 3-4 guys who will contribute in a meaningful way via the draft. Then it's up to our young guys already on the team to develop (Carr, Cooper, Mack etc).

It's an exciting time now that the majority of the 'foundation' for this team is relatively set. Still need to fix pieces here and there, but we are going to see lots of improvement in this team over the coming years.

It really would depend on how many different opportunities the NFL (and the owners) shut down. For instance, if they get nothing done in Oakland, and the NFL were to block any potential deals in San Diego, San Antonio and Las Vegas, Mark would have an extremely good case for filing an anti-trust suit against the league. Also of note, if the Raiders try to go to Vegas, they will have money (Adelson) on their side. Mark doesn't have deep pockets, but that guy sure does. He makes Kroenke look like an ant.

the NFL would back vegas in a heartbeat. San Antonio impacts other teams which is why it wont be allowed. Vegas opens up new regions for TV contracts increases revenue for the LA based teams which can swoop in on the SCAL market. San Diego won't be backed because of the stadium situation. vegas does not have a city council and the majority of the city opposed to pissing away cash on new stadium.

additionally it makes it much better to sell as a week end holiday thing and is begging for superbowl as its a tourist city.

the NFL would back vegas in a heartbeat. San Antonio impacts other teams which is why it wont be allowed. Vegas opens up new regions for TV contracts increases revenue for the LA based teams which can swoop in on the SCAL market. San Diego won't be backed because of the stadium situation. vegas does not have a city council and the majority of the city opposed to pissing away cash on new stadium.

additionally it makes it much better to sell as a week end holiday thing and is begging for superbowl as its a tourist city.

The only thing that is holding the NFL back from vegas, is the NFL's squeaky clean policy when it comes to gambling. That being said, they're hypocritical in the sense that they play games in London where gambling is legal, and Atlantic City in Jersey is going to have sports on the books soon as well.

The only thing that is holding the NFL back from vegas, is the NFL's squeaky clean policy when it comes to gambling. That being said, they're hypocritical in the sense that they play games in London where gambling is legal, and Atlantic City in Jersey is going to have sports on the books soon as well.

considering the NFL has been trying to get the legal definition of sports betting from a game of chance to game skill, which would allow betting on the NFL legal in all 50 states i'd say their opposition is about as sincere as a ray rice apology.

In his first in-depth interview since finishing third in “a three-horse race” for Los Angeles, Mark Davis confirmed he wants to extend his Coliseum lease for a year.

He also talked about last week’s “great great” meeting with honchos in Las Vegas (He spent 45 minutes with Steve Wynn!!!) and a bit about San Diego, which he called “a phenomenal place.”

He said there could be other Bay Area locations that might interest him, but once again ruled out sharing Levi’s Stadium.

Davis said it’s up to Dean Spanos now to determine what happens in SoCal.

Listen to the interview here.

In his first in-depth interview since finishing third in “a three-horse race” for Los Angeles, Mark Davis confirmed he wants to extend his Coliseum lease for a year.

He also talked about last week’s “great great” meeting with honchos in Las Vegas (He spent 45 minutes with Steve Wynn!!!) and a bit about San Diego, which he called “a phenomenal place.”

He said there could be other Bay Area locations that might interest him, but once again ruled out sharing Levi’s Stadium.

Davis said it’s up to Dean Spanos now to determine what happens in SoCal.

Listen to the interview here.

Pretty bland interview, apart from berating the Oakland officials (again). As for the Wynn meeting, that was a sideshow to his meeting with Adelson. Met with Adelson for the day.

As for his comments about San Diego, he's well aware it could be the Raiders' new home if they don't get something done in Oakland, and the Chargers move to LA. All the talk right now has to be politically correct simply to keep all of his options open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back