Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

So we're staying at least one more year in Oakland. I guess it gives Mark more time to figure something out.
Surely the decision would be done quickly so they can get a stadium ready for the 2017 season, wherever that may be.
Considering I don't live in Oakland I wouldn't be inconsolable if we had to move somewhere as it means that we will be able to have a proper home base with support, but I would prefer it to be LA or Vegas just for the aesthetic and vibe of the team. Wouldn't want to move to somewhere bland that doesn't suit the Raiders.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
I get the idea Mark wants to stay in Oakland/East Bay area long term.

He's only saying that because he has to from a political point of view. Privately, he hates Oakland. Wants nothing to do with the city. He would've moved the team to Vegas a few years ago had the relocation process been easier.

He's only saying that because he has to from a political point of view. Privately, he hates Oakland. Wants nothing to do with the city. He would've moved the team to Vegas a few years ago had the relocation process been easier.
So then there's every chance we will move there. If Mark wants it then surely he will try to make it happen. Goodell did say that there would have to be a few measures taken if a team were to go there but he didn't rule it out. Why would other owners veto it? A brand new city for the NFL, a brand new market....Raiders!

Los Vegas Raiders
Vegas Raiders
Vaiders *spelling subject to change-see below
Oakland-Vaders-04-16-15.jpg

the NFL would back vegas in a heartbeat. San Antonio impacts other teams which is why it wont be allowed. Vegas opens up new regions for TV contracts increases revenue for the LA based teams which can swoop in on the SCAL market. San Diego won't be backed because of the stadium situation. vegas does not have a city council and the majority of the city opposed to pissing away cash on new stadium.

additionally it makes it much better to sell as a week end holiday thing and is begging for superbowl as its a tourist city.
Vegas DOES have a city council.
Paradise doesn't.

Just so happens everything you associate with Vegas (The Strip, The sign, the airport, the university) are all in Paradise........Well, except Fremont Street. That is Vegas.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The first question Roger Goodell faced Friday was a familiar one: what about the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers now that the Rams are back in Los Angeles.

As he’s been saying all week, the commissioner pledged “to do everything possible” to help get new stadiums built in their current cities.

“The league supports both of these teams, but we are working very hard with not only the teams but the communities to try to find a solution that works for everybody,” he said. “This has to work for the communities, and it has to work for the teams long-term”

For San Diego, which has first dibs on joining the Rams in Los Angeles, the path looks clear: come up with a stadium deal (Downtown or Mission Valley) and put a measure on the November ballot for voters to decide whether they want to help pay for it.

Oakland may be a tougher nut to crack considering that polls have shown little voter support for helping pay for a new stadium. So how can the NFL really help?

I asked NFL Senior Vice President Eric Grubman Friday about past reports that the league would consider developing a stadium in Oakland. The NFL had looked into to buying the Inglewood land, which the Rams later acquired.

Is there a real possibility that NFL would play the role of stadium developer: “It’s real if the team owner wanted us to do it … If there is an incumbent team we would never do it unless the incumbent team wanted us to take a look at it

How about the fact that there’s already Levi’s stadium in the market and the Raiders proposed stadium is likely too small to host a Super Bowl: “That would all impact the judgment of whether the league wanted to get involved or not”

Is Mark Davis interested in the league helping develop a stadium: “I would defer to the team.”

Couple other tidbits from Grubman:

He’s not meeting with Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf while in town this week.

If the Chargers stay in San Diego, he said the Raiders wouldn’t need extensive league review to exercise they’re LA option as long as the sharing agreement with the Rams is in accord with what was discussed during the January owners meeting. “They would need approval anyway but it would be ministerial unless they were dramatically changing the circumstances,” he said.

On development rights still being the best mechanism for funding an Oakland stadium: “It’s been probably two months or so since I’ve really been into that conversation so I don’t really know where it is.”

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Which is such BS if he was thinking about Los Angles!

Of course it's b.s. You think Stan Kroenke is going to allow the kind of parking lot tailgating that Mark claims to want *his* fans to experience on game day? It's a crock. Because he looks like a doofus people think he's honest. Ha.

Not to mention you will spend hours upon hours in freeway grid traffic going to a game in LA. On any given day at any given hour. Nothing in Los Angles is easy to get to -- nothing.

Early Sunday mornings are the only time the freeways are pretty much wide open down here..
However, once you get within a couple miles of the Inglewood area, traffic will be a pain.. Nearest FWY. is the 105. Which is at least a mile from the site.

Moot point but you go to tailgate at 8am, then post party afterwards. You know this.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Davis was again also asked about his interest in Southern Nevada after last week’s visit with Sands chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson and UNLV officials to tour potential stadium sites.

But what about it being a possible NFL city?

“It’s absolutely a possible NFL city,” he said.

Despite the NFL’s historic stance on gambling?

“Again, there’s timing,” Davis said. “I think that’s the word that you’d have to put on it but it’s absolutely an NFL city.

“It’s an international city. It’s a global city. Again, the Raiders are a global brand so it’s got potential.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced on Friday that the Oakland Raiders and Houston will play a regular-season game on Nov. 21 in Mexico City. This will be the first time the league has played a game in Mexico since 2005, when the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played in front of a packed house at Estadio Azteca.

This is a Monday night and our home game

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Davis also reiterated his reasons for having no interest in sharing Levi’s Stadium with the 49ers.

“I just don’t think it fits the Raiders,” Davis said of the Santa Clara stadium that hosts Super Bowl 50 on Sunday. “There’s three words that mean something to me in the stadium and that’s ingress, egress and parking. The Raiders on game day, if you’re around our stadium … if you see our parking lot before the game, that’s probably the largest non-denominational gathering on a Sunday morning that you’ll ever find and I’m not going to give that up. That’s just part of the Raider game day experience. I just can’t give that up. I just don’t believe that they have that in Santa Clara. They’ve got other things. The 49ers are creating their own game day experience and Raider fans have their own.”
Levis Stadium doesn't have a parking lot?

original.jpg

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Davis also reiterated his reasons for having no interest in sharing Levi’s Stadium with the 49ers.

“I just don’t think it fits the Raiders,” Davis said of the Santa Clara stadium that hosts Super Bowl 50 on Sunday. “There’s three words that mean something to me in the stadium and that’s ingress, egress and parking. The Raiders on game day, if you’re around our stadium … if you see our parking lot before the game, that’s probably the largest non-denominational gathering on a Sunday morning that you’ll ever find and I’m not going to give that up. That’s just part of the Raider game day experience. I just can’t give that up. I just don’t believe that they have that in Santa Clara. They’ve got other things. The 49ers are creating their own game day experience and Raider fans have their own.”
Levis Stadium doesn't have a parking lot?

original.jpg

Getting in and out of Levi's is a clusterfvck. It's an absolute nightmare. Can take 2 hours just to get out of the parking lot. Furthermore, there aren't enough spaces and traffic is so bad around that area on gameday that I know people who haven't been able to get into the parking lot before gametime!

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not the only problem

Out-of-towners visiting Levi’s Stadium for Super Bowl 50 got the face full of intense sun that some 49ers fans have complained about since the shadeless, bowl-shaped arena opened in 2014.

And while many suffered through Sunday’s unseasonable February temperatures, others shrugged off the heat and basked in the revelry of the game.

The sun, as usual, was blaring through the first half of the game on the east side of the stadium, where uninitiated fans shaded their eyes and squinted to see the action.

“That’s the problem, the sun,” said Mark Ihlenburg, 35, a Broncos fan from Sugar Hill, Ga., as he held his hand to his forehead to block the rays. “It’s a little bright. I heard that 49ers fans were upset about that, but I didn’t realize how bad it was until I got inside the stadium.”

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Oakland Raiders on Tuesday released safety Nate Allen, just one season after he signed a four-year, $23 million free-agent contract with the club.

Allen played just five games last season as he struggled to recover from a right knee injury.

His $4.9 million salary for 2016 would have been guaranteed if he was on the roster Wednesday.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is what Mark is competing with. That's British pounds.

Stan Kroenke has certainly splashed some cash - on a Texas ranch worth about £500m.

The property is spread over six counties and Kroenke, who is worth about £5bn, now owns more than 865,000 acres of land in the United States - an area three times the size of Los Angeles, or four-and-a-half times the size of New York.

Only eight people own more land than Kroenke in the United States.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Raiders announce one-year lease to remain in Oakland
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 11, 2016, 6:20 PM EST
mark-davis.jpg
Getty Images
For at least one more year, the Raiders will remain in Oakland.

The Raiders announced today that they have agreed to a one-year lease extension to play at O.co Coliseum for the 2016 season. The agreement includes an additional two years of team options, giving the Raiders the choice to play at the Coliseum in 2017 and 2018 as well.

Raiders owner Mark Davis called the deal a “win-win situation” and said he’s optimistic that a deal can get worked out that will keep the Raiders in Oakland. The Raiders have hired real estate executive Larry MacNeil, who helped the 49ers with their move into Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, to help the Raiders negotiate a deal for a new stadium in Oakland.

“It gives us an opportunity to work on a permanent facility here in Oakland,” Davis said. “It gives us some certainty for this season as well as flexibility for the next two seasons. . . . My heart is here in Oakland.”

As they attempt to encourage more Bay Area fans to support them in Oakland, the Raiders have also announced that they will not raise season ticket prices.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Not sure what the draft board is looking like, the rankings. But i'd say off the top of my head, we'd be well-served by signing a bunch of vet FAs at CB, CB, SS, FS, T, T, and then drafting the top rated pass-rusher or MLB in the first round....as teams aren't really letting any of those younger ones go.

Teams don't let any of their "good" players go unless there are mitigating circumstances (e.g. something had to give with the cap, schematic changes etc). The most improvement that will come from this team in 2016 will be from within. ACDC, Walford, further development on the line, Murray not needing to carry the load.

Last year, we signed Crabtree, Hudson, Dan Williams, Nate Allen, Malcolm Smith, Lee Smith, Roy Helu and Aldon Smith in free agency. With the exception of Helu, Lofton and Allen, the rest of the guys have worked out. I expect us to sign a similar amount of guys this off-season. If so, I will be very surprised if we have any glaring weaknesses over the whole of our roster come week 1 of the season. We were able to revamp the offense in one year, now they just need to grow with Carr, Coop, Walford etc. Only real positions needed to upgrade on offense are left tackle (Penn is gone) and right guard, though they like Jon Feliciano.

On D, this team is largely in flux. We have Mack, Dan Williams, Jelly, Autry (he'll be re-signed), Malcolm Smith, Carrie, Amerson, and not much else. Nate Allen was re-signed today at a cap friendly deal, but he could easily be a camp casualty. Aldon Smith will be re-signed. Mario Edwards is a 50/50 prospect right now due to health issues. Heeney and Ball are nice role players but I doubt they show much more than that. Our back end needs severe upgrading. In a "perfect" world, I would do the following:

Move TJ Carrie to safety. (Note in Norton's scheme both safeties play in the box and in coverage, they're interchangeable)
Sign Sean Smith/Trumaine Johnson and Jeremy Lane at corner.
Sign one of Eric Weddle or Reggie Nelson at safety.

Sign Danny Trevathan to be our 3-down mike backer.

Would leave us with a pretty stout D imo:

Autry, Jelly and Dan Williams as a 3 man front
Mack (playing as that hybrid DE/OLB), Trevathan, Malcolm Smith and an additional TBD linebacker (Would be Aldon Smith once he's back in November)
Sean Smith/Trumaine Johnson, Jeremy Lane and Amerson as the corner trio, with Weddle/Nelson and Carrie as the safeties.

And that's obviously before we even go to the draft to improve our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back