Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

A little portion of me is sympathetic to the Raiders as I remember what they once used to be. Outside of the slow start, I can't fault the Raiders for their strategy. They're going out and picking up solid veterans to add to the mix of players. Truthfully, they've been one of the better performed teams in Free Agency.

I'm more sympathetic to their patient loyal fans around these boards.. they could of easily jumped ship years ago but you've gotta acknowledge their commitment to excellence loyalty.

My Top 5 list of players I want at our first pick:

Evans
Watkins
Matthews
Manziel
Robinson

I think Evans and Jake Matthews will still be available at your pick. The others are more likely to be gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NFL_DRAFT_Bites‏@NFLDraftBites

Apr 4

#Raiders

Scout, 'A** Saw Retirement Community tweet. You don't understand TEAM Building.

Raiders Scout, 'Its Reggie & Joey has ear. Well draft 1 TENN guy. Bet O Linemen. We like Zach Fulton. Not sure Ja'Wuan James is a starter'.

Raiders Scout, 'Dream scenario grab Watkins 5th, somehow Tuitt or Nix Rd 2 & we get Carr Rd 3. Doubt David, mean Derek falls Rd 3.'

Raiders Scout, 'QB Coach likes Fales & Brett Smith. We're not going QB 5 but we will take 1. Hope it's Carr. He's a player & RM likes him.'

Raiders Scout, 'We like Da'Quan Jones but I don't think he'll our highest rated on the board at our 3rd. He's a Good not great player.'

Raiders Scout, 'We spent lots time with Tahj Boyd. Great kid. Gave us. details on Watkins, Martavis Bryant, Breeland & Brandon Thomas.'

Raiders Scout- 'Internally RM tight lipped direction 5th overall. As scouts given our lack Picks...

Raiders Scout 'Calvin Barnett, Viliami Moala, Demomte Mcallister, Bruce Gaston, Beau Allen. 1 will be undrafted & definition Priority UDFAs

#Raiders Scout, 'We lack ammunition Rounds 5-7 which sets us up well for UDFAs. We have draftable grades on more than 256 prospects.'

Pitiful DT Class. Besides Aaron Donald, no 3-Techs. Maybe Tuitt can play that role. Kelcy Quarles/Anthony Johnson are lazy 2nd contract guys

Some interesting tweets from NFL Draft bites with some nuggets from an unnamed Raider scout. Take it for what it's worth, but it sounds very plausible.

My Top 5 list of players I want at our first pick:

Evans
Watkins
Matthews
Manziel
Robinson

Evans hands are not as 'flash' as advertised… can really drop some 'unforgivable' sitters. I trust that's not Jordan Matthews you're not referring to?? go away… that's my wish for Steelers plan B pick if Dennard is snatched before pick #15.

Evans hands are not as 'flash' as advertised… can really drop some 'unforgivable' sitters. I trust that's not Jordan Matthews you're not referring to?? go away… that's my wish for Steelers plan B pick if Dennard is snatched before pick #15.

Jake Matthews from A&M.

Watched a lot of Evans, he will be a star.

Makes good impression on Raiders

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ziel-makes-good-impression-on-oakland-raiders

I think we will take him if he's there but I honestly don't think he will be. All the top four spots are places he could possibly go (assuming the Rams trade down).
'Good kid, humble'. Umm humble?

Anyway, would be awesome to see him as a Raider - potential to change the entire franchise. However I just dont see the point in bring in Shaub if they always planned to take a QB @ 5. There's no way Manziel will sit for a year and be Schaub's backup. That wont work.

original.jpg

Said it a few days ago on Raiders blog.

Does Manziel fit new Raiders paradigm?

April, 7, 2014

By Paul Gutierrez | ESPN.com

Johnny Manziel visiting the Oakland Raiders, per ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, makes all the sense in the world. It also makes no sense whatsoever.

That's how polarizing and transcendent a figure the artist known as Johnny Football is to the NFL.

On one hand, why wouldn't the playmaker-starved Raiders, who hold the No. 5 overall pick in May's draft, do their due diligence on Manziel?

Since the Raiders' last playoff game, Super Bowl XXXVII on Jan. 26, 2003, Oakland has had 17 starting quarterbacks -- Rich Gannon, Rick Mirer, Kerry Collins, Marques Tuiasosopo, Aaron Brooks, Andrew Walter, Josh McCown, Daunte Culpepper, JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski, Charlie Frye, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor, Matt Flynn and Matt McGloin -- so there has been a serious lack of continuity under center. Matt Schaub, acquired in a trade for a sixth-round draft pick last month, will be No. 18 this season.

Per ESPN Stats & Info, the Cleveland Browns have also had 17 starters since 2003 and the Miami Dolphins have had 15, with the Raiders' 180 passing touchdowns since then an NFL low.

So the Raiders could use an infusion of excitement and longevity from the likes of Manziel, who many observers compare to Fran Tarkenton, even if his slight stature warrants concern regarding his reckless-abandon playing style.

Which brings us to the flip side of things ...

In acquiring Schaub and identifying McGloin as a backup, and -- as general manager Reggie McKenzie said at the NFL owners meetings -- with Pryor most likely having played his final game for Oakland, the Raiders seem to be building something that Manziel does not fit into.

It is obvious coach Dennis Allen prefers more of a pure, dropback-style quarterback, like Schaub and McGloin. Manziel, like Pryor, is anything but a prototypical QB.

With Manziel's immense popularity, the Raiders drafting him might set Schaub up for failure. Consider that Schaub suffered a crisis of confidence last season in Houston that grew exponentially with every interception. No doubt impatient fans would scream for Manziel the first time Schaub threw an interception, fostering an unhealthy environment.

Like it or loathe it, the Raiders picked up Schaub to be their franchise quarterback for at least the next two seasons, as Schaub restructuring his contract can make him a free agent after 2015, per reports.

Allen, a Texas A&M alum, has a unique perspective on the Heisman Trophy-winning Manziel, who has also reportedly visited the New England Patriots. Allen might know best how Manziel would deal with the prospect of sitting and not becoming a distraction.

Sure, the Raiders should kick the tires on Manziel by bringing him in for a visit because the biggest question that might be answered in a stopover is this: Does Manziel fit into what McKenzie and Allen are building?

It makes sense, unless it doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back