Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

This game was definitely not the fault of Dennis Allen or Greg Olson. The receivers were flat out terrible, couldn't get open. Denarius Moore made me cringe on how bad his routes were at times, was pretty much asking the DB to pick Carr off. Running game was atrocious, but that's all on the line. Execution was piss poor, but then again, the Jets front 7 is one of the best in the NFL. I'll wait and see before I make more judgments there.

On D, struggled to get pressure. Kept them to 19 points but we got lucky in some spots. Could've been worse.

Dennis Allen will last until the bye week regardless of how this team goes. Sad to say however, even if he gets fired, you're not going to get a better replacement, considering that no established or "big name" coach like a Bill Cowher is going to come to Oakland. Will just end up with most likely either a retread or another young first time head coach. And I personally still believe that DA is the right man for the job.

Disagree about who is to blame.
Tony Sparano (former Dolphins HC, and our current OL coach) could step right in.
I also like the idea of Tarver being promoted to HC, he has that Raider fire about him.
Also bonus that he would no longer be DC :p
Could promote a position coach up to be DC.

If DA gets fired mid-season Sparano will be put in as the interim HC until the end of the season. No interim head coach has ever made waves at any club. They are just caretakers. If DA gets fired, the season will be a waste.

Tarver has shown nothing to suggest he's capable of being a head coach right now. Big deal if he shows fire, DA shows as much fire as anyone on the field. Furthermore, if Tarver was hired as head coach, there is NO ONE, who is worthy on the raiders staff right now of a promotion to DC from a position coach.

The only person I would consider if DA was fired is Darrell Bevell, the offensive coordinator at Seattle. But even then, I don't agree with firing DA in the first place. Mark could have fired him last year, but he didn't. Firing him 4 games into this season would be an absolutely moronic move, but knowing Davis' erratic behaviour at times, such a move won't surprise me.

If DA gets fired mid-season Sparano will be put in as the interim HC until the end of the season. No interim head coach has ever made waves at any club. They are just caretakers. If DA gets fired, the season will be a waste.

Tarver has shown nothing to suggest he's capable of being a head coach right now. Big deal if he shows fire, DA shows as much fire as anyone on the field. Furthermore, if Tarver was hired as head coach, there is NO ONE, who is worthy on the raiders staff right now of a promotion to DC from a position coach.

The only person I would consider if DA was fired is Darrell Bevell, the offensive coordinator at Seattle. But even then, I don't agree with firing DA in the first place. Mark could have fired him last year, but he didn't. Firing him 4 games into this season would be an absolutely moronic move, but knowing Davis' erratic behaviour at times, such a move won't surprise me.
DA is a dead man walking anyway. No one responds to a lame duck HC either.
It's a rock and a hard place situation whatever we do or dont do.
I just reckon Allen has run out of excuses, that was a woefully coached game.

DA is a dead man walking anyway. No one responds to a lame duck HC either.
It's a rock and a hard place situation whatever we do or dont do.
I just reckon Allen has run out of excuses, that was a woefully coached game.

He hasn't lost the locker room at any point in his 33 game tenure. Every game the players have played hard. People often get effort and results confused. Just because we're not winning doesn't mean that the effort isn't there.

At the moment DA isn't on the hot seat. At 1-3 he will be. Right now he isn't though.

I disagree that it was a woefully coached game. The game plan imo was actually quite smart. Keep turnovers to a minimum, establish the run game, let Carr manage the game. Play lots of field position, bend but don't break on D. The game plan for the most part was spot on, just couldn't be executed. It's not the game plan's fault that the o-line wasn't getting any push in the run game, that defenders missed tackles, than receivers weren't coming back on their routes for the ball. That stuff can't be placed on the coaches, but because the players aren't going to change overnight, it's easier to blame the coaches, because at least, that way, the fans think that change is going to be better and that the players will suddenly come good. Breaking news, this roster isn't good. This coaching staff is equipped to get the most out of them.

Not really sure what the game plan should've been considering it was a rookie QB against a blitz heavy Jets D.

Culprits were Allen and Olsen calling a conservative gameplan, running the ball in Big formations all game, no vertical pressure, playing into the hands of the Jets, having their best D out there. Should've gone four wide all game to put their weakest D out there. They even deactivated butler showing their hand they would play soft utensil play calling.

Even Holmes and Jones only tallied a handful of snaps all game. And they deactivated a fifth WR. What a bunch of idiots. A team (Jets) is struggling at DB, have s**t depth, and they *ingg deactivate one WR, and their 3rd and 4th WRs only tally a handful of snaps. DO you realize how fcken stupid that is?

Ryan said pre-game, I hope they think they can run the ball on us. So what do DA/GO do? Play right into his hand. He wanted us to go with a 21 or 12 formation all game, so that his DL and LBs (the strength) was on the field most. And they killed us (their front 7). What they shouldve done is attack their weakness, go 4 wide as much as possible and test their s**t DBs with vertical pressure.

Instead, because we played so conservatively, Ryan was ABLE to send the house. They sat in shallow coverage all game, because all Olsen did was call for short dinks and inside runs all game. Their s**t DBs often were exposed as they sent the house on us. But our gameplan played right into their hands.

I saw Carr on more than a few occasions totally not even see a receiver wide open deep, having beaten the single coverage, no safety help. But Carr was under instruction to focus on one side of the field, and play it safe. Carr is not a total noob despite being a rookie. If you give him an aggressive gameplan he can execute it.

Especially consider that Allen/Olsen did NOT even put him in shotgun 4 wide until TWO FVCKING MINUTES were left in the game. And what did Carr do? Throw a 40 yard TD bomb to James Jones. He can do it. He has balls and moxie. They just babied him stupidly.

Look around the league, all the teams who were down by a lot at the half-time break. They all came roaring back, Dolphins, Bears, Eagles, Browns, etc, by making adjustments early in the 2nd half, going for broke, staying in shotgun and pass-pass-pass. THis is a fvcking passing league. Soft rules on DBs even more now. Allen/Olsen did NOT go for broke UNTIL TWO FVCKING MINS were left!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Also, in a four wide, would've spread them out more, only one LB on the field, so our RBs couldve had a better day running the ball. ALso, in a four wide, if they wanted to blitz, it's really easy to recognize it. Can only be a MLB or one of the dime CBs coming off the edge. Easy for Carr to see and to hot route that receiver.

You are making quite a few assumptions. First off, going 4 wide against the Jets all day with a rookie QB is a recipe for disaster. Yes, it might be attempting to attack their weakness, but we don't have the receivers to do that. Our receivers were not getting much separation for 90% of the passing plays. I also disagree that going 4 wide makes it easier to pick up the blitz. The Jets are a 3-4 base, so when they go into a dime package, they are still going to have at least 2 linebackers on the field. Combine that with the d-linemen standing up, and it can still create quite a bit of havoc for any QB, let alone a rookie in his first start away from home.

We got a TD in the final moments because the Jets went into a situational D where we were using plenty of the clock. Yes, it made the score look more respectable. No, it doesn't change the fact that we should've gone pass happy all game. It was still a 1 score game with only 10 minutes to go. We still could have stolen the game had we executed the plays. If we had the personnel to go 4 wide all game, I'd completely agree with you. But we don't even have a true #1 receiver on this roster to help out the rookie QB. I will say that scratching Butler was odd though, I think it had more to do with special teams than anything else.

The assumption that Carr was told to be conservative and not sling it downfield is absurd. DA and Carr both said after the game that Carr missed some reads downfield. But that's to be expected with a rookie QB; it's never going to be perfect. FWIW, the playbook is completely open with Carr. Despite being a rookie, he's been able to grasp the entire playbook.

You mention the talk of adjustments, but you can't say that NO adjustments were made. Whatever was called in the third quarter wasn't executed. Couldn't pass, couldn't run. No amount of adjustments would have helped that. It's on the players to execute in that regard.

This team needs to establish the run game every game. Don't have the personnel for a 40+ passing attempt game from the rookie QB. We've invested a lot into the o-line to get it going. Not going to be any tougher than the Jets' front 7. Let's see how they go against Houston on Monday. Expecting quite a similar game plan with maybe a few more intermediate passes given that we are playing at the HOT.

The Jets ran a multitude of formations, and a wide variety of plays and even trick plays on offense, they kept us guessing.

Our first offensive scoring drive was very nice. But Rex quickly adjusted and we CONTINUED to do the same thing over and over again just expecting the same results. We didnt mix it up, and played a large number of formations in the Big packages, which only continued to advantage the Jets D and what they were doing.....which was congesting the under coverages expecting short passing and runs up the middle. We ran one Wild Cat, which was McFadden up the gut. Yawn. And waited till the last 2 mins before putting Carr in focused shotgun and stretching the field more vertically.

We deactivated our 5th WR. And only used Holmes and Jones sparingly. They tallied minimal snaps. That's *ingg stupid coaching. Playing right into the Jets hands. Their best D (front 7) kept on the field. Not exploiting their weak DB roster by testing them more.

Carr is a rookie, but he's not a noob. He can execute aggressive plays and downfield throws if he's asked to. They neutered him, making him look one side of the field to play it safe for him.

He was neutered into looking one side of the field. There were a number of plays where our WRs DID get open medium and deep. Only in single coverage with no safety help. Carr wasnt ever looking that way. He was making one read plays to one side of the field. All of them quick outs or quick ins. That's the play-calling.

Rex knew our gameplan quickly after that first drive and adjusted accordingly. Pressing the box, man coverage on the outside, under coverage. All to curtail the predominance of short passing the OC was calling. Which didnt help all the inside runs either.

Remember, in the lead up to a game, the coaching staff put together a bunch of plays and formations and substitution packages FOR THAT GAME. Not using the whole playbook. They tailor a plan. So what we saw on Offense (that predominance of Big packages) WAS the game-plan, and they just continued to stick to it all game. They made SOME adjustments, but the GAME-PLAN was there for all to see. They didn't have anything creative or aggressive put in place. They just put together a few things based on what they thought would work (that opening scoring drive) and stupidly thought that would be enough to carry them thru the entire game, or at least the first half.

Jets offense....dynamic, very varied. Raiders offense....conservative.

Streater: "I felt like we could have attacked them different ways.”
James Jones: “Man, that’s a very good question,” when asked why the Raiders didn’t throw more intermediate and deep passes.
That's the players wondering why we weren't more aggressive.
Yeah, Olson can probably draw a game-plan which is why he keeps getting jobs.....but he can't call a game, which is why he keeps getting fired-demoted.

Roach back next game should be a big help. After Murray did so well pre-season I thought he would have been given a go especially with the others not doing anything.
Penn is too slow to react.
Other teams are going to watch that game and copy.
That was one of the games I had down as a win - and we should have won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roach back next game should be a big help. After Murray did so well pre-season I thought he would have been given a go especially with the others not doing anything.
Penn is too slow to react.
Other teams are going to watch that game and copy.
That was one of the games I had down as a win - and we should have won.

Roach is no guarantee to play this upcoming week. He is still questionable.

I highly recommend people read the following article about Carr's performance: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-157

Yes, it's bleacher report, but Chris Hansen actually breaks film down pretty good for a media writer. Looking back on the game again, Hansen shows that there were plenty of plays to be made downfield, the majority of which Carr for whatever reason, didn't make.

It was as if Carr was being overly cautious to a fault ensuring that he didn't turn the ball over. I expect that being at home this week, he will have more confidence to make those downfield throws when they are there to be made.

You can say it here. Safely say Oakland brass ain't watching this thread. Give us a clue at least...moving to LA?

It might not even happen. Has nothing to do with any stadium talk. Not going to elaborate because this could affect the outcome of Sunday's game.

It might not even happen. Has nothing to do with any stadium talk. Not going to elaborate because this could affect the outcome of Sunday's game.
Schaub back in as starter.

: Is the fact that Latavius Murray didn’t get any snaps on offense last week a matter of not having a lot of plays?
Coach Allen:
“That’s part of it. We’re going to utilize guys that we think can help us go out there and win the football game. All these guys are preparing to play and they’ll go in and execute when they’re called upon . from raiders.com

I hope he gets called on this week because he gives us a different type of runner. MJD may be out anyway.

: Is the fact that Latavius Murray didn’t get any snaps on offense last week a matter of not having a lot of plays?
Coach Allen:
“That’s part of it. We’re going to utilize guys that we think can help us go out there and win the football game. All these guys are preparing to play and they’ll go in and execute when they’re called upon . from raiders.com

I hope he gets called on this week because he gives us a different type of runner. MJD may be out anyway.

MJD is OUT.

Everyone's a closet Raiders fan....

Texans RB Arian Foster was a Raiders fan

Posted on September 11, 2014 by Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

Talking with reporters in Houston Thursday, star running back Arian Foster said he enjoyed the passion of the Raiders fan base.

“The Raiders were my favorite team growing up. I know all about their culture and I know how about how intense their fans are,” Foster said. “Win, lose or draw, they’re going to be out there in their spiked shoulder pads and their panted faces.

“I loved that about them and that’s part of what drew me to them as a child, just seeing the passion they had for football in the Bay Area. It’s different now. I don’t have a favorite football team now. I play for one, so it’s different, but I think my mother still roots for them when we’re not playing them and so does a couple of my other family members.

“It’s always fun going into the Black Hole because that’s where I wanted to play as a kid.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back