Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

We HAVE TO draft as many offensive playmakers as we can. Gotta build around Carr otherwise we're dead. Need an inline TE who is also a wicked pass-catcher. Not a 'move' TE. Need a bonafide #1 WR a la Andre Johnson in his prime. That should suffice. Draft a few tackles and guards and centers LATE in the draft and UDFAs. Spend the 3rd-6th rounds building up the D. (MLB, DE, FS, SS, CB).

Needing playmakers on offense is exactly why this team should've signed Desean Jackson in free agency. The way the front office (and Mark) handled that situation was terrible, especially considering Jackson had txted multiple Raider players saying he wanted to sign with Oakland before he arranged the meeting with Washington. Amateur hour from Reggie and co.

Needing playmakers on offense is exactly why this team should've signed Desean Jackson in free agency. The way the front office (and Mark) handled that situation was terrible, especially considering Jackson had txted multiple Raider players saying he wanted to sign with Oakland before he arranged the meeting with Washington. Amateur hour from Reggie and co.
Not just DeSean, Reggie had ample money and opportunity to gun for a few really worth it vets and he only offered chicken pea. Reggie is the real problem.

Not just DeSean, Reggie had ample money and opportunity to gun for a few really worth it vets and he only offered chicken pea. Reggie is the real problem.

There were a few players who he tried to sign. Jason Hatcher had a visit with the Raiders at the same time Tuck and Woodley were meeting them. The plan was to sign all three. But yes, overall, Reggie made some huge *ups in free agency. I highly doubt he's the GM next year.

Looked like a pretty average game for us. At least we weren't completely blown out.

I repeat my question from last week: Where is Murray?

We kept hearing this season about how much the Raiders coaching staff liked Latavius Murray. The talk, along with how he looked in limited snaps in preseason, made the possibilities of the kind of young back the Raiders have in him intriguing. But since the season has started, the little we saw of him has turned to nothing at all.
The 2013 sixth round pick was out with injury his entire rookie campaign so fans were eager to see what he could do. They got a taste in the preseason. He carried the ball in each of the team's four preseason games for a total of 23 carries for 94 yards (4.0 yards per carry).
Once the regular season hit, Murray first saw the field as a kick returner. It was not where he was expected to make his mark, considering he had never been a return man in his career, but any way to see the field is a good thing, right? He returned three kicks in the opener for 67 yards (22.33 average).
In week two he returned four kicks and with Maurice Jones-Drew injured he even got a carry on offense. His one carry went for six yards. Not bad.
Jones-Drew was still out in week three so Murray's carries jumped to three. Though he could gain just one total yard (.33 yards per carry).
With MJD back in the lineup in week 5, Murray was relegated to just kick return duties and with the Raiders scoring four touchdowns, he saw five returns for 112 yards (22.4 yards per return). Still not great but not terrible either.
That was the last time Murray touched the ball.
Since then, T.J. Carrie has taken over kick return duties along with his usual punt return duties. Maurice Jones-Drew gets all the extra carries that trickle down from those Darren McFadden doesn't get.
All this would make sense if the Raiders rushing attack was even passable. But it's not. It has been the worst in all of football. Darren McFadden has just 338 yards in seven games averaging 4.0 yards per carry while Maurice Jones-Drew has just 56 total yards while averaging a paltry 2.3 yards per carry.
In short yardage, the Raiders usually opt for Jamize Olawale or Darren McFadden and the results have not been positive. Against the Browns they gave Olawale the ball on third and one and he was stuffed for no gain to force a punt. Against Miami in week four they gave it to Olawale on third and one and he was stuffed for no gain to force a punt. Those were his only two carries of the season.
Still the 6-3, 225-pound Murray stands on the sideline and watches.
Two weeks ago against the Cardinals, the Raiders had first and goal and it took Darren McFadden three carries to go three yards. Not exactly a goal line back extraordinaire.
Even still, no Murray.
The one place you'll see him is on kick coverage and blocking on returns. He hasn't touched the ball on offense or special teams the past three weeks.
None of this is to suggest Murray is some kind of savior for the struggling Raiders. But at 0-7 with the worst rushing attack in football, trying something - anything - is certainly worth a shot. If the Raiders are saving him for a rainy day, staring at the likelihood of being winless at the midway point of the season could be a good time. from silverandblackpride.com

It is quite baffling that he cannot get a snap. Lets face it, MJD and Mcfadden are really not the future, and what the hell have we got to lose by playing him now??

We kept hearing this season about how much the Raiders coaching staff liked Latavius Murray. The talk, along with how he looked in limited snaps in preseason, made the possibilities of the kind of young back the Raiders have in him intriguing. But since the season has started, the little we saw of him has turned to nothing at all.
The 2013 sixth round pick was out with injury his entire rookie campaign so fans were eager to see what he could do. They got a taste in the preseason. He carried the ball in each of the team's four preseason games for a total of 23 carries for 94 yards (4.0 yards per carry).
Once the regular season hit, Murray first saw the field as a kick returner. It was not where he was expected to make his mark, considering he had never been a return man in his career, but any way to see the field is a good thing, right? He returned three kicks in the opener for 67 yards (22.33 average).
In week two he returned four kicks and with Maurice Jones-Drew injured he even got a carry on offense. His one carry went for six yards. Not bad.
Jones-Drew was still out in week three so Murray's carries jumped to three. Though he could gain just one total yard (.33 yards per carry).
With MJD back in the lineup in week 5, Murray was relegated to just kick return duties and with the Raiders scoring four touchdowns, he saw five returns for 112 yards (22.4 yards per return). Still not great but not terrible either.
That was the last time Murray touched the ball.
Since then, T.J. Carrie has taken over kick return duties along with his usual punt return duties. Maurice Jones-Drew gets all the extra carries that trickle down from those Darren McFadden doesn't get.
All this would make sense if the Raiders rushing attack was even passable. But it's not. It has been the worst in all of football. Darren McFadden has just 338 yards in seven games averaging 4.0 yards per carry while Maurice Jones-Drew has just 56 total yards while averaging a paltry 2.3 yards per carry.
In short yardage, the Raiders usually opt for Jamize Olawale or Darren McFadden and the results have not been positive. Against the Browns they gave Olawale the ball on third and one and he was stuffed for no gain to force a punt. Against Miami in week four they gave it to Olawale on third and one and he was stuffed for no gain to force a punt. Those were his only two carries of the season.
Still the 6-3, 225-pound Murray stands on the sideline and watches.
Two weeks ago against the Cardinals, the Raiders had first and goal and it took Darren McFadden three carries to go three yards. Not exactly a goal line back extraordinaire.
Even still, no Murray.
The one place you'll see him is on kick coverage and blocking on returns. He hasn't touched the ball on offense or special teams the past three weeks.
None of this is to suggest Murray is some kind of savior for the struggling Raiders. But at 0-7 with the worst rushing attack in football, trying something - anything - is certainly worth a shot. If the Raiders are saving him for a rainy day, staring at the likelihood of being winless at the midway point of the season could be a good time. from silverandblackpride.com
Thank you

It is quite baffling that he cannot get a snap. Lets face it, MJD and Mcfadden are really not the future, and what the hell have we got to lose by playing him now??

Murray isn't getting playing time because he is a massive liability in pass protection. With a rookie QB, pass protection is at a premium. Last thing we want to do is get our future franchise QB hurt because we wanted to give a 6th round 2nd year running back a few snaps.

Not sure you can expect Roach to come back and slot in seamlessly to the MLB position. With such a concussion, I would seriously be looking at upgrading that position in the off-season.

Can't wait to get Mack some help in the off-season. Right now he's a one man wrecking crew on D, absolutely killing it out there. Very close to DROY imo.

Murray isn't getting playing time because he is a massive liability in pass protection. With a rookie QB, pass protection is at a premium. Last thing we want to do is get our future franchise QB hurt because we wanted to give a 6th round 2nd year running back a few snaps.

Not sure you can expect Roach to come back and slot in seamlessly to the MLB position. With such a concussion, I would seriously be looking at upgrading that position in the off-season.

Can't wait to get Mack some help in the off-season. Right now he's a one man wrecking crew on D, absolutely killing it out there. Very close to DROY imo.
Put Schaub in and play Murray for some quarters then lol

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- In a conference call with Bay Area media, Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll touched on several topics:
  • Carroll said he is very impressed by the regular-season film of Oakland rookie quarterback Derek Carr. Carroll also got a look at Carr in the final preseason game when the rookie shredded Seattle, earning himself the starting job. "He has a strong arm and looks very comfortable," Carroll said. "He looks like a terrific prospect ... I think he's darn good."
  • Carroll said Oakland rookie linebacker Khalil Mack looks almost "unblockable." Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson, earlier in the day, said Mack looks like a rookie of the year candidate.
  • Carroll said it was too "cool" to see former Seattle prospect Benson Mayowa play well for Oakland in the past few weeks. Mostly a special teamer in Seattle, Mayowa, claimed off waivers by the Raiders from Seattle in September, has been playing at defensive end. Carroll said he likes the way Mayowa competes, but he was the victim of a numbers game in Seattle
    .from espn.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some talk we could win. Seattle players pissed that Percy left. Disharmony in the locker room. Meanwhile everything going good at raiders.
Fck me, 0-7..would hate to see it if it goes badly!

Just checking out stats for Daryle Lamonica, now a somewhat forgotten player. You can easily make the argument that he is the greatest QB in Raiders history:

66-16-4 record as a starter, 78.4% winning percentage is second highest in NFL history
Played in 5 Pro Bowls
Won 2 AFL MVP’s
Won 3 AFL championships and was a part of 6 AFL championship games
Starting QB in second Super Bowl
Led the league in TD passes twice
At his peak, between 1967-69, the Raiders lost a total of only 4 games
An amazing 90% winning percentage as a starter in the AFL: 40-4-1 record
178 TD’s – extremely impressive in a very different era of football

Well our D is doing OK against the Seahawks. What I mean by OK is, it's only one game and a very small sample and there's still the rest of the season for things to improve or completely fall apart. However, I think things are starting to come together and Tarver is getting some things going in the right direction. Even our special teams has been playing well today.

I'm now leaning towards going offense for the draft and shore up the offensive line.

Rich Gannon made a comment during the telecast that as soon as McFadden received the hand off from Carr he had a defender on him due to penetration. We need a stronger line.

Despite all the losing it's somewhat heartening to know Sparano has this team playing hard and competitively in every contest. He's a good coach. Good, not great. If Allen was still coaching I am certain some of these Sparano-coached games would've been shellackings instead.

There are still some questionable personnel decisions (reggie enforced? or sparano?) that are head-scratchers.

I really think anyone who knocks Carr, or questions his play or whether he could be a franchise QB, is out of their mind. He is truly an awesome rookie QB. He looks like a seasoned pro out there.

New GM, new HC, new co-ordinators, a good draft giving Carr weapons and solidifying some holes on D, and this team will very quickly be a playoff team as soon as next season.

I totally agree GG. I'm always reading that there's two types of teams, one with a franchise QB and those looking for a franchise QB. I think Carr is a keeper and I think our draft class last off season is a keeper. I think Hayden will come on a be a decent player, I think Watson is doing OK, it's just having those veterans around to show them the way - I guess that's why Reggie targetted Tuck, Smith etc. during free agency.

Cut out the silly missed tackles and the mental mistakes causing turnovers or penalties and the team will look so much better.

Another solid draft class and some quality co-ordinators and a HC to develop the team and the Raiders will be on the way back. I've said it before, I just hope some of the good doesn't get washed away.

Have to admit Hayden played well. Hayden and Carrie look the goods as franchise CBs. We need a MLB FS SS and 3-4 DE or two, go to a 3-4. On offense just a true boss WR an in-line reception TE, some OL additions.

I mentioned in the weekly thread that he should have had that pick 6. Just dropped it.

Agree so much on Carr. Looks more settled than any QB we've had for years and years. Being able to hit up our receivers is a testament to how good he has been considering how average they all are.

Rivera getting some more looks is good to see, despite your dislike of him, GG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back