NFL Obama Says Redskins Should Change Their Name

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's something MORE for you to read about Chadwiko and maybe it helps you take that big step towards where I've always been (knowing/understanding more).....see bolded part too....

Simms, Dungy to avoid using Washington team name
Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
simms.jpg
Getty Images
As the 2014 NFL regular season approaches, and as a game involving the Washington NFL franchise airs on national television when this item is posted, a pair of prominent national broadcasters plans to avoid uttering the name of the Washington NFL franchise.

Via the Associated Press, Phil Simms of CBS and Tony Dungy of NBC will refrain (or at least try to) from using the name.

It will be somewhat easier for Dungy than Simms. NBC currently doesn’t have a Washington game on the schedule; CBS does, on September 25 against the New York Giants.

“My very first thought is it will be Washington the whole game,” Simms (pictured) told the AP. “I never really thought about it, and then it came up and it made me think about it. There are a lot of things that can come up in a broadcast, and I am sensitive to this.”

It could get a little awkward in the booth, given that Jim Nantz, who works with Simms, plans to use the name because Nantz believes it is “not my job to take a stance.”

“I will personally try not to use Redskins and refer to them as Washington,” Dungy told the Associated Press. “Personal opinion for me, not the network.”

ESPN will continue to use the name. “We use the marks and nicknames as utilized by the teams, leagues and conferences we cover,” the four-letter network said regarding a term that for many has become a four-letter word.

“As long as their nickname is the Redskins, I’ll continue to call them the Redskins,” FOX analyst Troy Aikman said.

I felt that same way until I saw the commercial from the National Congress of American Indians opposing the name. Unless and until someone makes a persuasive case to the contrary, the National Congress of American Indians remains the representative national voice of Native Americans. If the NCAI finds the name to be offensive, that’s enough for me — and for the past several months I’ve been avoiding it wherever I can. (It popped out once today while hosting The Dan Patrick Show.)

That’s not taking a stance. That’s doing what I now think is the right thing to do, even if it will take some time to completely stop using a term that I’ve used ever since I started watching football in the 1970s.

That's a surprise. Easy to do though given they were never really a contender in that period, would have been interesting if they had made a Super Bowl would he have knocked back the chance?

Listening to the radio last night apparently Ditka has come out in support of the Redskins keeping the name. Whatever weight Iron Mike carries in this discussion he's in support.

That's a surprise. Easy to do though given they were never really a contender in that period, would have been interesting if they had made a Super Bowl would he have knocked back the chance?

Listening to the radio last night apparently Ditka has come out in support of the Redskins keeping the name. Whatever weight Iron Mike carries in this discussion he's in support.

I'm guessing that if they did and he did, that the story would've come out long before now.

About Redskinsfacts.com (the youtube channel)

RedskinsFacts.com is a growing online community of passionate Washington Redskins fans and others who support the team’s use of its name and logo.

Not the voice of Native Americans at all. Just a bunch of fans. Probably Snyder commissioned that effort. :rolleyes:

For those playing at home, my favourite part is GG telling Native Americans that they are wrong for not being offended by the name.

WILvb8G.gif

About Redskinsfacts.com (the youtube channel)

Not the voice of Native Americans at all. Just a bunch of fans. Probably Snyder commissioned that effort. :rolleyes:
I thought it had already been established that this was the case. Particularly when the website logo was displayed on the team's screen used for coach/player press conferences.

I thought it had already been established that this was the case. Particularly when the website logo was displayed on the team's screen used for coach/player press conferences.

Correct. At no point is it trying to portray itself as anything other than the opposite side of the propaganda coin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ESPN will air a 60min Prime-time special edition of Outside The Lines next Tuesday called "Washington's NFL Nickname: a NFL Dilemma"

it will include player and fan polls, a Dan Snyder interview. How much Washington stand to make when they change the name.

In America it will air on ESPN2 at 8PM Tuesday.

Chadwiko and GG I think you both miss the point.

I know from working with Indigenous Australians that no one can speak for all of them. Self-appointed representative bodies speak for their members.

And the token dissenters that those in favour of the name routinely trot out certainly don't speak for a large number of people - they generally speak only for themselves.

The real point is that if this name causes significant hurt and upset to a significant number of people (and clearly it does) then its inappropriate and it needs to be changed. It doesn't have to be a majority. It doesn't even have to be close to a majority.

And it certainly doesn't need to be anything like consensus, which is what Washington and it's pro-name advocates seem to be suggesting every time they trot out a couple of token people to say "I'm not offended by it." (ie. the guy that Chadwiko quoted above)

By the way, I think it's noteworthy that he would say "I'm not offended by it", personalising the statement. You rarely, if ever, hear anyone say "it's not offensive" - it's generally a personal opinion such as the one posted above. Which is to understand that yes, even if I don't find it offensive, I accept that other people do and I cannot tell them how they should feel.

I don't understand why they're digging their heels in, and I don't understand why fans like Chadwiko need to defend this name so much. They aren't moving cities. It's still the same team. It's the same identity. All you're doing is giving yourself a tremendous marketing opportunity to sell more friggen merchandise than you've ever dreamed of, at the same time as recognising your responsibility to demonstrate cultural sensitivity.

edit: I thought it worth adding for the record that I've tried to avoid using their nickname for around 12 months now. Obviously I slip up occasionally - but I've made a decision that I don't need to by into that. And if I were a commentator I wouldn't use it either. It's not "taking a stance". It's showing respect to the Native American viewers who take offence.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back