Obesity Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it is worth it. I think the habit part is the best though. You could probably get away with an ordinary diet etc at a young age and not have it effect you too badly. But if you did that, then 10 or 15 years down the track the behaviour might be hard to undo, but the consequences might start coming home to roost.

I like your policy of having the month off so to speak. When I began to eat better again I decided weekdays was 100% healthy and a bit of fun food on weekends. Seems to work for me.

The other thing to watch for people under 20 is if you have started cooking your own meals yet - a lot of people go of the rails at that point.
Spot on, learn to cook, then you know exactly what you're eating, it's good fun too.

man how frustrating! she should've just said "I eat goddamn GARBAGE; what of it, ya skinny little bint?"

instead it's a whole lot of backpedaling with "actually, I eat salad and regularly exercise".

i got no problem with fat pride - but ya gotta at least own ALL of it.
Her deflection and excuse making is shameful. The fact she refused to divulge her diet is quite telling and you could see everyone in the room privately thinking "Yep, we know you eat like s**t". The other lady was quite happy to divulge her diet, yet the poomba got touchy when asked. Why? Because she eats junk food and lots of it.

Chrissie Swan's excuses are also pathetic. I just feel for her kids.

One point also worth raising: along with the powerful influence of the fast food industry, bear in mind the influence of the "diet industry".

There are many shifty operators who encourage unsustainable quick fix schemes, knowing this is the best way to get repeat business, as if the weight comes off too quickly it is likely to come back quickly. It is in the interest of those operators to not be too successful.

One point also worth raising: along with the powerful influence of the fast food industry, bear in mind the influence of the "diet industry".

There are many shifty operators who encourage unsustainable quick fix schemes, knowing this is the best way to get repeat business, as if the weight comes off too quickly it is likely to come back quickly. It is in the interest of those operators to not be too successful.
That's why I look after my own diet. I don't trust anyone else with that. I think I must also be thankful that my parents also encourage healthy eating and cook healthy food, starting right from when I was a tot. Parents have a huge role to play in the weight of their child. When I've moved out, I'll also do my own meals as I've been taught how to make them.

I don't recall too many of my peers working out when I was in my late teens, but then I was probably too stoned to remember. I think more young people work out and look after themselves a bit better when they are young now, which is probably a good thing.
To an extent but the self esteem issues can be extremely damaging to their mental health. Not too dissimilar to what females experience.

Do you think lads are more body conscious now, than they were twenty odd years ago?

Not at all...lets see if he can keep it up at 41 years of age with a full time job, 3 kids and all the running around involved with life and see how the 5.30-7am workouts go when your not impinging on this life....and the 20 years of toil that this exercise regime has.

We are very body conscious to the point of extreme vanity. I cannot speak about the previous generation because I never grew up in that one, but my generation (18 - 25 year olds) are crazy body conscious. So many young blokes are constantly in the gym and I know quite a few taking steroids. I never go to the gym, I just do lots of cardio and muscle exercises on playground equipment. It has the exact same effect, if not better as I am genuinely fit and using my muscles in properly. Some people who are buff do no cardio and are unfit as ****. What was your gen like?

Just speaking from my own experience. Sounds like someone is feeling a little self conscious. Also, in reply to your comment about the toil my regime will take, it is preferable to being a fat slob with health issues. I would much rather have a few sore joints.

Just speaking from my own experience. Sounds like someone is feeling a little self conscious. Also, in reply to your comment about the toil my regime will take, it is preferable to being a fat slob with health issues. I would much rather have a few sore joints.

1. Own experience- yes- but the bullshit is in your claim that ALL take an interest...have a look in any food court next time u are there.

2. Self conscious- at 47 I don't give a s**t what anyone thinks, and you will discover that when you get there...you will be just a middle aged man like the rest of us.

3. Toil- yeh again, you will find out come the same age...and a few joints...you really have no idea what age does to your body...things that you least expect pop up that weren't even in the wink of your eye age 20.

Just ease up dude, there's a long more time to live without torching yourself into the ground....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Survival of the fittest will take care of this particular epidemic. Soon all humans thin. Large stomachs do not permit penetration.

Reckon the young bucks hitting the gym is more to do with the current age of self-obsession, narcissism and superficiality with the validation of social media than it does with people making a conscious effort to look after themselves.

Reckon the young bucks hitting the gym is more to do with the current age of self-obsession, narcissism and superficiality with the validation of social media than it does with people making a conscious effort to look after themselves.
It's easy to tell the serious fitness people from those there for show, by the sorts of exercises they do and how they go about them.

Obesity like many other problems in society has a dangerously high level of both medical diagnosis and societal acceptance.

A good portion (heh) of fat people are fat because they are fat.

I still find this article alarming:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/bigger-taller-wider/story-e6frg8h6-1111115975557

Women
1926: 161cm, 59kg (22.7 BMI)
2008: 163cm, 71kg (26.7)

Men
1926: 174cm, 72kg (23.8)
2008: 178cm, 85kg (26.8)

Human physiology hasn't developed in two generations that we should be 18-20% heavier when only 1-2% taller. It's environmental. The rise of processed, calorie laden foods has contributed but my dead old Nan who would've been in her teens in 1926 baked us sponge cakes, fried everything within an inch of its life in animal fat etc. and would barely have been much more than 50kg at any stage in her life. People from that generation had less, so consequently ate less and did more. Sugar, fat, salt, carbs aren't new.

It's easy to tell the serious fitness people from those there for show, by the sorts of exercises they do and how they go about them.
A lot of buff people I know are unfit as *. Some of them aren't even as strong as they look.

1. Own experience- yes- but the bullshit is in your claim that ALL take an interest...have a look in any food court next time u are there.

2. Self conscious- at 47 I don't give a s**t what anyone thinks, and you will discover that when you get there...you will be just a middle aged man like the rest of us.

3. Toil- yeh again, you will find out come the same age...and a few joints...you really have no idea what age does to your body...things that you least expect pop up that weren't even in the wink of your eye age 20.

Just ease up dude, there's a long more time to live without torching yourself into the ground

Advice taken.

I don't recall too many of my peers working out when I was in my late teens, but then I was probably too stoned to remember. I think more young people work out and look after themselves a bit better when they are young now, which is probably a good thing.
I would agree with that the 18-25 bracket are definitely hitting the gym more often.

Well I can't really say "more" as I have nothing to compare it to.

Agree with this re most people. You can spot the vain ones in the gym. The ones who spend more time posing shirtless like a statue so their other shirtless mates can take pics and upload it to their little social media sites and get the 'likes' they crave. Social media definitely has given narcissists what they want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back