Obesity Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I ever saw a kid miss PE at school without a legitimate reason. If you were sick, you stayed/went home. If you had a broken arm or something, you sat and watched or joined another class that wasn't doing PE for that lesson. .
Yep same at my school, we did have a very overweight guy in my class but he still participated in everything, the only different thing he did was wear a really baggy white shirt during swimming lessons.

OP is enthusiastic, but a lot of touchy nerves hit. At 41 and with two kids I know I must take primary responsibility for their health. Now most people are going to have been suckered in by low fat = good, when low carb high fat would solve the majority of obesity,but you have to be a ******* moron to think take away multiple times a week, sugared drinks and regular sweets aren't going to have detrimental effect. People have put short term desires in front of their health.

And you certainly can keep exercising regularly with kids, full time work etc. My gym is full of other Middle aged guys and gals, plus older.

You can't to some degree avoid SOME of the effects of aging (the joys of bulging discs and sore joints at times), but you can be lean, strong and not get puffed chasing your kids around. As for the vanity element it's a shoulder thing- you can't do anything about above them, but I'd have been stoked at 21 to have the abs I now do at 41.

We used to do morning fitness when I was in year 6/7. Pretty sure it was first thing, about 8am or whenever it is school starts, before the first lesson of the day.

Do schools still do stuff like this, or have we invented enough reasons for 11/12 year old kids to not run around and play sport?

Schools didn't invent the reasons as such, little Billy hurt himself stretching or was pushed over during a game and parents took issue with the school, which the school can't be ****ed dealing with. I've seen it first hand.

The argument about kids being over protected and becoming bad adults is one of the dumbest going around

Heres what actually happens

Kids are kids, some roll in mud, others play video games, and most are little shits when they dont get their way

Then they grow up and the chemical balance in their brain that theyre born with determines whether theyre campaigners, sooks, arrogant tossers or unconfident loners.

Watching a bunch of people sitting here making thinly vieled brag posts about "growing up right!" and using it as anacdotal evidence to how kids should be raised and what kids will turn out to be as adults is laughable, you're a bunch of idiots for believing that you have half a clue on the issue

Yes you turned out fine, just like nearly everybody else did, all from a range of different childhood backgrounds.

Its like driving, everybody thinks theyre the only good ones around and everybody else on the road is shithouse.

The best thing half the people ITT can do is understand how stupid they are and adjust their thought process because of it

OP is enthusiastic, but a lot of touchy nerves hit. At 41 and with two kids I know I must take primary responsibility for their health. Now most people are going to have been suckered in by low fat = good, when low carb high fat would solve the majority of obesity,but you have to be a ******* moron to think take away multiple times a week, sugared drinks and regular sweets aren't going to have detrimental effect. People have put short term desires in front of their health.

And you certainly can keep exercising regularly with kids, full time work etc. My gym is full of other Middle aged guys and gals, plus older.

You can't to some degree avoid SOME of the effects of aging (the joys of bulging discs and sore joints at times), but you can be lean, strong and not get puffed chasing your kids around. As for the vanity element it's a shoulder thing- you can't do anything about above them, but I'd have been stoked at 21 to have the abs I now do at 41.
You sir are an excellent parent.

The argument about kids being over protected and becoming bad adults is one of the dumbest going around

Kids are kids, some roll in mud, others play video games, and most are little shits when they dont get their way

Then they grow up and the chemical balance in their brain that theyre born with determines whether theyre campaigners, sooks, arrogant tossers or unconfident loners.

Watching a bunch of people sitting here making thinly vieled brag posts about "growing up right!" and using it as anacdotal evidence to how kids should be raised and what kids will turn out to be as adults is laughable, you're a bunch of idiots for believing that you have half a clue on the issue

Yes you turned out fine, just like nearly everybody else did, all from a range of different childhood backgrounds.

Its like driving, everybody thinks theyre the only good ones around and everybody else on the road is shithouse.

The best thing half the people ITT can do is understand how stupid they are and adjust their thought process because of it
You didn't grow up fine. You go for Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarlton.

Good post by the way. :thumbsu:

The "Growing up right/What about schools?" still overlooks the food economic system driving people to consume garbage. When proposals to limit advertising or tax garbage i.e. things that would actually work are suggested they're immediately shouted down by business lobbies wanting to maintain the status quo.

People say "Oh society has changed" and that's true but they want to overlook the economic changes because that's scarier to acknowledge let alone challenge. Saying 'fatties' becomes the easier option.

Last edited:

Most of that is a pile of s**t. Yes large parts are controlled by genetics and dna, but environmental factors play a large part. Large amounts of scientific evidence out there to back it up.

You come off sounding like a naive misinformed American.

Last edited:
Will fat taxes and advertising bans really work?

Diet and exercise is a much, much broader (pun intended) topic than say, cigarettes. You either smoke or you don't, and if smoking is restricted and taxed to all buggery then it acts as a deterrent to new take-ups.

Everyone eats, and (sadly almost) everyone exercises. You can get fat eating potatoes, croissants, pies, chocolate... do we tax every food based on calorific content? If McDonald's can't advertise a Big Mac meal can my local pub advertise a parmi & chips?

Will fat taxes and advertising bans really work?

Diet and exercise is a much, much broader (pun intended) topic than say, cigarettes. You either smoke or you don't, and if smoking is restricted and taxed to all buggery then it acts as a deterrent to new take-ups.

Everyone eats, and (sadly almost) everyone exercises. You can get fat eating potatoes, croissants, pies, chocolate... do we tax every food based on calorific content? If McDonald's can't advertise a Big Mac meal can my local pub advertise a parmi & chips?

That's the thing nearly anything you eat these days can put on weight even to much fruit is high in sugar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These days? This has been the case since the dawn of time.

Yes but people didn't know most of what we know now 15 years ago

15 years ago people didn't know that the secret to not getting fat was eating right and exercising?

I think Michael Mosely put it well when he said that while that is obviously true, it's like telling people that to be good at golf you need to get the ball in the hole with the fewest number of shots.

Eating well and getting the most out of exercise is more nuanced than many understand. But at a simple level, getting up of your arse and cutting down on sugar is a very good start.

Of course Bomberboyokay likes this...

I think Michael Mosely put it well when he said that while that is obviously true, it's like telling people that to be good at golf you need to get the ball in the hole with the fewest number of shots.

Except that analogy is bullshit. I mean I know what it takes to be a good punter in the NFL but that doesn't mean I'll ever be able to kick further than Sam Mitchell. My lack of penetrative kicking doesn't hinder my ability to eat salad, though.

People conflate simple with easy. It's simple to identify how to get a good golf score, but it's not easy to do it. I played golf the other week for the first time in about a year. 220m off the tee straight up the middle of a 320m par 4. 6 for the hole. If I'd not completely ****ed up my approach shot and not 3 putted I could've had a birdie or a par. Coulda shoulda woulda.

It's simple to live a healthy lifestyle and for the most part it is easy, too. We are a society of apologists and excuse makers. Two thirds of the population is overweight and half of that group (i.e. a third of the population) is obese. That's disgusting. 'Healthy food is expensive', 'I didn't know broccoli was better for you than fried chicken' aren't comparable to not being able to play off scratch.

Eating well and getting the most out of exercise is more nuanced than many understand. But at a simple level, getting up of your arse and cutting down on sugar is a very good start.

The simple level is the problem. If you maintain a balanced diet, exercise regularly etc. and are obese then you are in the minority and should seek medical help.

There are people out there who play golf 2-3 times a week that struggle to break 50 on 9 holes. How many people out there don't play golf at all then blame society for placing unrealistic golf standards upon them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said anything about society putting unrealistic goals what are you even talking about...

If it's so simple, why are so many people fat?

It is because they make poor decisions. But why do people make poor decisions?

The golf analogy is about how you can put people on the path to healthy decisions. Just saying "move more, eat well" doesn't seem to be working. There are clearly many people out there that need help making better decisions, decisions that will help them:

-enjoy eating well
-enjoy exercise
-recover from relapse better
-delay gratification
-not fall victim to advertising,

and all that sort of stuff.

The golf analogy would be to tell people to keep their head down, transfer their weight, etc.

People make poor decisions because they can, and when they do others will make excuses for them. Making poor decisions invariably translates to taking the easiest path.

Why are so many people fat? Because not being fat it isn't easy, or more accurately isn't perceived as being easy - and being fat is very easy.

This debate frustrates the hell out of me because within a very short period of time in the scheme of human evolution we've become a society of fatties and people are constantly analysing the problem like they're searching for the cure for cancer.

The golf analogy is flawed because no one gives a s**t if I shoot 72 or 172. Doctors waiting rooms aren't full of mug golfers who can't break 100. You don't take up two plane seats because you 3 putt each hole. You don't set a poor life example to your kids if you don't care about golf. The only bit that's relevant is that I don't place much emphasis on improving my golf and the same can be said for most people and their weight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back