Obscure Players That You Remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Keppler Wessels.. Is that the spelling? Just remember him being a outcast and a kind of newboy for the 70s

Good player and was there thought of as an australian. He was a star of his time.
Not sure you can classify Keppler as obscure.He played Test cricket for 12 years for Aus & SA.

Wilf Slack. Toured with the Poms in 86/87 without getting a run in the tests. During a Jeremy Beadle Christmas show the tourists were able to speak to their family via satellite live on the show. All the players were jokey jokey, christmas wishes etc, Slack spoke to his sister and all he spoke about was how he was batting in the nets/tour games, causing Beadle to take the piss out of him a bit. Suffered blackouts that a cause couldn't be found for, and died of a heart attack while batting a few years after the tour.

Used to see Richard Soule around (and I do mean round - the guy made Danny Buckingham look merely large) a bit back in the day. Quite possibly would have been the back-up keeper on the 1989 tour of England if not for his size.

I seem to remember him ducking under a Steve Waugh full toss in a ListA game and getting bowled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Lewis,England all-rounder.
I think twice he got called into the England team when they toured here because he was playing district cricket in Sydney at the time.
of course for the last 6 years [got sentenced to 13 years,but got out in June] he's been holidaying at Her Majestys pleasure for drug trafficking.

With a similar name, I remember Jon Lewis being a big tall seamer that came here for England for some ODIs. Can't remember how much he played, will have to look it up.

1 Test, 13 ODIs. Excellent record in FC and List A cricket, didn't disgrace himself in the ODIs either.

WA all rounder David Bandy.

Gun at grade level. Found it much harder at domestic level, but doesn't help when you get knocked out by a wild shy at the stumps taking a quick single - different circumstances to the McLeneghan one but still as sickening.

With a similar name, I remember Jon Lewis being a big tall seamer that came here for England for some ODIs. Can't remember how much he played, will have to look it up.

1 Test, 13 ODIs. Excellent record in FC and List A cricket, didn't disgrace himself in the ODIs either.

Handy enough bowler, but was pace very dibbly-dobbly which naturally didn't go down too well bowling to Gilchrist in a T20.

Speaking of Jon Lewis reminded me of the bald, aggro keeper...no doubt he has already been mentioned in this thread...but Paul Nixon was always entertaining, for one reason or another. :p
Dalrymple, Nixon, Lewis, Mal Loye...quite the team England had that tri series...and they won it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back