Obscure Tennis Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lukas Dlouhy's one that I just saw pop up on the doubles scoreboard for the Aus Open. Won two doubles slams but doesn't appear to have played for two years.

Looks like it as well. Has a serious gut.

Remebered a few more:

Irakli Labadze
Kristian Pless
Martin Verkerk
Sjeng Schalken

Kucera made the second week of a grand slam 4 times from 41 attempts. Hardly a superstar either. Schuettler I just remember being so quickly flung into the spotlight during his AO '03 run eventually falling to Agassi, and then back into relative obscurity until he somehow made the last 4 at Wimby a few years later
Kucera was a notable player in the late 90s, hardly obscure. Schuettler was also one of Germany's leading players for the better part of a decade, I don't think he falls into the obscure column.

When I think of obscure, Arnaud Di Pasquale is always the first to come to mind. All I know of him is that he is French and won the bronze at Sydney, but so obscure beyond that. Perfect trivia question.

The modern obscure is those essentially unremarkable acronym Spanish and French deep cuts that may have hovered around the top 100 for a little while, maybe have a peak ranking around 35-60, never really featured as one of their country's top 5, don't look all that unique and never ruffled a feather. Guys like Daniel Gimeno-Traver, Albert Ramos, ERV, etc.

Schalken is a weird one, particularly from an Australian standpoint. Probably one of the best players ever to never crack the top 10, he was a perennial 10-20 ranked player for a while, reliable R4 honourable loss type. But he could easily walk down a street without being recognised.

Takao Suzuki. The player Federer hit that famous forehand from around the net post against (at the 2005 AO).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back