ODI Question

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Apologies if this doesnt warrant a thread, but I couldnt find a Q&A style thread

Why do they have Lunch and Tea Intervals now for ODI's midway into an innings?.
And how long have they been in?

Saw it firstly in the England/India match on Tuesday as India were bowled out cheaply, and now again in the West Indies/South Africa match

Seems strange that you would have an innings break, and then another break so short into an innings
Is it a broadcast led initiative to get these one sided games going for longer?

I have many more questions regarding ODI cricket - why still 50 overs being the biggest one.

The English now play a 40 over competition - super 40 or something. The people are speaking - prob a bigger crowd at the big bash game tonight than the aus India odi at the G. And viewing on the tv it looked a more dominant indian crowd than aussie which is astonishing. The middle overs in ODI are so predictable and dull, I think its time for a massive review of the ODI format.

I for one think a reduction in overs to 40 is required n definitely a cut back on breaks during the game. Also fielding restriction changes are warranted, so sick of seeing a glorious cover drive or pull shot going straight to deep point/mid wicket. Something like the following I think would work well:

Overs 1-10 - 2 fieldsman Outside circle
11-20 - 3 out
21-30 - 4
31-40 - 5

Thoughts? I love all forms of cricket but am growing more and more tiresome of predictable n meaningless ODI's.

Also the mix of games played atm resembling:

5 tests
10 ODI's
2 Int T20's

Must be reviewed to even out the mix of ODI's vs T20'S

Apologies if this doesnt warrant a thread, but I couldnt find a Q&A style thread

Why do they have Lunch and Tea Intervals now for ODI's midway into an innings?.
And how long have they been in?

Saw it firstly in the England/India match on Tuesday as India were bowled out cheaply, and now again in the West Indies/South Africa match

Seems strange that you would have an innings break, and then another break so short into an innings
Is it a broadcast led initiative to get these one sided games going for longer?
Well the broadcasters would have something orepared at the scheduled 50 over interval break so its a quick change over then out for a little bit, then off for the major break. All part of keeping to schedule with news and other things etc. Has happened for awhile.

50 over cricket is about as relevant as the catholic church nowadays. Remember as a child watching every ODI and every test match during a summer. ODI'S have been relegated to 'I'll watch if I have nothing else to do' status, they are so bland. T20 feels so fresh and exciting in comparison. No dull middle overs, always something happening and if it's a one sided game it is over quickly.
'

Well the broadcasters would have something orepared at the scheduled 50 over interval break so its a quick change over then out for a little bit, then off for the major break. All part of keeping to schedule with news and other things etc. Has happened for awhile.
I must not be paying great attention because I dont think I had ever seen the mid innings break in an ODI before tuesday

Mid Inning breaks only happen when sides are bowled out cheaply and not many overs. It has to do with the broadcasters needing to gott their news break so they take 30/40min break so majority of viewers dont miss the cricket.

As for the other posts regarding ODI's and T20. There is already so much T20 that we dont need any more, it is more a domestic style game than international anyway with so many tournaments. And why change it to 40 overs? 50 overs is fine, why do people want to see people smacking it around all day, its cricket, a slow game and is good to watch all day/night.

There are more dull/dud T20 games than ODI's anyway.

Still much prefer the 50 over game to T20. You get to see someone build an innings as well as seeing some big hitting. Crowds are down but the World Cup is still a massive event.

Not sure about the mid innings break though, never seen it before in Australia.

different odi question that has been bugging me - can anyone remember a few years ago (maybe mid-00's) on australia day, a one dayer where australia walloped whoever it was and given how early the match ended, they played another match (20/20 or something like that).

Did this ever happen or have I just imagined it?

edit: match in question was v England in 2007. Poms bowled out for 110 in 34.3 over, Aust 1/111 in 24.3 overs.

Last edited:
different odi question that has been bugging me - can anyone remember a few years ago (maybe mid-00's) on australia day, a one dayer where australia walloped whoever it was and given how early the match ended, they played another match (20/20 or something like that).

edit: match in question was v England in 2007. Poms bowled out for 110 in 34.3 over, Aust 1/111 in 24.3 overs.

Think you're imagining things.

It's been happening for as long as I remember, it's probably just somewhat rare as you don't see teams get bowled out that often in ODIs (especially in less than 40 overs).

I'm sure it also happened against Sri Lanka. THey were having a shocking run, and we destroyed them in a game. The teams agreed it would be good practice to have another 25 overs each game, and it would also give the fans something.

Sri Lanka just went for it without a care in the world, and basically played themselves back into form.

I'm sure it also happened against Sri Lanka. THey were having a shocking run, and we destroyed them in a game. The teams agreed it would be good practice to have another 25 overs each game, and it would also give the fans something.

Sri Lanka just went for it without a care in the world, and basically played themselves back into form.
That must be the one I'm thinking of!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have many more questions regarding ODI cricket - why still 50 overs being the biggest one.

The English now play a 40 over competition - super 40 or something. The people are speaking - prob a bigger crowd at the big bash game tonight than the aus India odi at the G. And viewing on the tv it looked a more dominant indian crowd than aussie which is astonishing. The middle overs in ODI are so predictable and dull, I think its time for a massive review of the ODI format.

I for one think a reduction in overs to 40 is required n definitely a cut back on breaks during the game. Also fielding restriction changes are warranted, so sick of seeing a glorious cover drive or pull shot going straight to deep point/mid wicket. Something like the following I think would work well:

Overs 1-10 - 2 fieldsman Outside circle
11-20 - 3 out
21-30 - 4
31-40 - 5

Thoughts? I love all forms of cricket but am growing more and more tiresome of predictable n meaningless ODI's.

Also the mix of games played atm resembling:

5 tests
10 ODI's
2 Int T20's

Must be reviewed to even out the mix of ODI's vs T20'S
Solid first post thread hijack

That must be the one I'm thinking of!
Australia A Vs Sri Lanka would be the one, bowled out for under 30 if I remember correctly so they had somewhat of a scratch match afterwards.

EDIT: No must be a different game as its been mentioned it was Australia Day,.. Aus-A wouldn't be playing Australia Day.

Last edited:
Australia A Vs Sri Lanka would be the one, bowled out for under 30 if I remember correctly so they had somewhat of a scratch match afterwards.

EDIT: No must be a different game as its been mentioned it was Australia Day,.. Aus-A wouldn't be playing Australia Day.

Found it. That was hard work......

I was at that game, I wish there was a mini game afterwards!

was at that game, that didn't happen. there were whispers in the crowd that they would play an exhibition T20 because the game was finished at 7pm, didn't happen though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back