Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
I predicted Hawthorn to win the flag again this year and to be honest, wouldn't mind seeing this champion team which I admire do the three-peat. But in 4 games they have already had 2 "off days". This is a team that have had hardly any off days for the past 3 years. Are they really off days or are the older brigade of Hawks starting to decline?

I predicted Hawthorn to win the flag again this year and to be honest, wouldn't mind seeing this champion team which I admire do the three-peat. But in 4 games they have already had 2 "off days". This is a team that have had hardly any off days for the past 3 years. Are they really off days or are the older brigade of Hawks starting to decline?

One of those off days should probably have been a win

Don't think the Hawks or Clarko could give a stuff personally. Rather have 2 off days Rounds 2 and 4 then say Round 23 and the second week of finals....

One of those off days should probably have been a win
Both of them ended up 'competitive'... Maybe the Hawks enigma has been unravelled or maybe they trial new things against quality opposition to test the plan B then revert to plan A (albeit too late) to prepare. Who knows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both of them ended up 'competitive'... Maybe the Hawks enigma has been unravelled or maybe they trial new things against quality opposition to test the plan B then revert to plan A (albeit too late) to prepare. Who knows

Would say it's more likely trialling new things. Keeping the same game plan never works forever, so now is the time to try out new stuff, see what works.

Would say it's more likely trialling new things. Keeping the same game plan never works forever, so now is the time to try out new stuff, see what works.
I'd say you're right, as soon as I calmed down (after qtr time) I thought why try stuff against lower ranked sides, create the pressure game against the contenders...risky but I like it

Port have had a couple of off days too. A bit too early to call, and they would be planning on playing deep into September (October?) so will start a bit slower.

Off days - Hawthorn had five last year.

Interestingly, they all involved the Hawks scoring less than 100 points, just like their two losses so far this year. Maybe the trick is to, you know, maintain the pressure and stop them from scoring, while converting your chances yourself? Shocking revelation, I know...

I'd say you're right, as soon as I calmed down (after qtr time) I thought why try stuff against lower ranked sides, create the pressure game against the contenders...risky but I like it

I think you still got 2nd locked in, at worst this season. Plenty of free wins to pick up, and big percentage boosters (and being a Saints fan I know about those :( )
Unlike some other teams you don't let up against the bottom teams, so 1st at best, 2nd at worst for you guys. Best of luck for the threepeat :)

Today wasn't a surprise to me. Being 58 points down was, but losing wasn't.

The Essendon game however, we were woeful! It was a bit worrying. I'd reserve judgement until we see how we go against North next week, a team we've struggled with in the past.

Today was just an off quarter. Port were near perfect in that first quarter. It was a procession, they won clearance after clearance, kicked perfectly and were pinging every shot on goal. It was an advertisement.

Full credit goes to Port for the win, they deserve it for that quarter alone.

Yet.... Hawthorn ended up with nearly twice as many inside 50s and more scoring shots, finishing with the last 7 goals(?) with 2 on the bench. Old guys steaming home against a side that is supposedly a fitness behemoth.

I dont think I've ever been this content after a loss. Its April.

Its a fair question but they had off days early last year too, and the year before. They'll be there at the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back