Off Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Local Knowledge

Senior List
May 16, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just spent part of a lazy Saturday afternoon looking at various club websites within our league and others. I've always had a theory that the best clubman award is given to someone that the committee wants back the next season, but was quite surprised at how many are given to members of the executive committee. Even more surprised at how many Presidents have won this "award". This probably supports my theory; poor bugger X takes on the top job because no-one else will do it, "wins" best clubman and feels obliged to go around again. Therefore, the position is filled for a couple of seasons.

Whilst off field, a workmate has told me that he has been involved with his (cricket) club for 27 years in various capacities and is still not a life member. Says he couldn't care less, but admits to being a bit disappointed at presentation night on seeing some "Johnny come lately" have this honour bestowed upon them.

I believe that Life Membership is the highest recognition that a club can give, which begs my question, what criteria do clubs have in our league for this award?

And just to round things off, when will we see a club openly admit that they have a paid administrator? If you're prepared to pay for a good coach, why not pay for a good administrator?

Enjoy the summer and I'm sure season 2015 will be just as enjoyable as the last.

Just spent part of a lazy Saturday afternoon looking at various club websites within our league and others. I've always had a theory that the best clubman award is given to someone that the committee wants back the next season, but was quite surprised at how many are given to members of the executive committee. Even more surprised at how many Presidents have won this "award". This probably supports my theory; poor bugger X takes on the top job because no-one else will do it, "wins" best clubman and feels obliged to go around again. Therefore, the position is filled for a couple of seasons.

Whilst off field, a workmate has told me that he has been involved with his (cricket) club for 27 years in various capacities and is still not a life member. Says he couldn't care less, but admits to being a bit disappointed at presentation night on seeing some "Johnny come lately" have this honour bestowed upon them.

I believe that Life Membership is the highest recognition that a club can give, which begs my question, what criteria do clubs have in our league for this award?

And just to round things off, when will we see a club openly admit that they have a paid administrator? If you're prepared to pay for a good coach, why not pay for a good administrator?

Enjoy the summer and I'm sure season 2015 will be just as enjoyable as the last.

Our criteria is pretty straightforward
12. The Club may elect as honorary life member any person who has rendered special service to the Club, provided that no person may be elected as a life member except by resolution carried by at least three-fourths of those present at a meeting of the Committee and confirmed by at least three-fourths of those present at the next following annual general meeting. The number of life members appointed in any one year shall not exceed two.

13.In addition to the provisions of Bye-Law 12,any player who has represented the Club in 200 premiership matches in any open age team or any combination of open age teams, shall automatically be appointed as a life member of the Club.

Our criteria is pretty straightforward
12. The Club may elect as honorary life member any person who has rendered special service to the Club, provided that no person may be elected as a life member except by resolution carried by at least three-fourths of those present at a meeting of the Committee and confirmed by at least three-fourths of those present at the next following annual general meeting. The number of life members appointed in any one year shall not exceed two.

13.In addition to the provisions of Bye-Law 12,any player who has represented the Club in 200 premiership matches in any open age team or any combination of open age teams, shall automatically be appointed as a life member of the Club.

Always wondered why Trainers,Team Managers,Coaches,runners officials etc who have chalked up over 200 games officiating and being involved in the team at the one club for over 200 games are never bestowed the life member honor automatically like the players.l know its all about the players but these people probably put more time in than some and some dont get paid .l know they could get nominated by the club but a lot of these volunteers are overlooked.

Always wondered why Trainers,Team Managers,Coaches,runners officials etc who have chalked up over 200 games officiating and being involved in the team at the one club for over 200 games are never bestowed the life member honor automatically like the players.l know its all about the players but these people probably put more time in than some and some dont get paid .l know they could get nominated by the club but a lot of these volunteers are overlooked.
Couldn't agree more-although we have a policy of not giving Life Membership to paid staff-we have in the past rewarded and will continue to reward those many people who put in the time and effort to make the Club Tick -In the past 10 years we have bestowed the honour on a Team Manager,Secretary,Treasurer,President,Ladies Committee Member, Runner ,Timekeeper & Two hardworking General Supporters as well as those players who have been eligible.So whilst Life Membership isn't automatic for these people they are certainly not forgotten when nominations are made or Memberships given.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more-although we have a policy of not giving Life Membership to paid staff-we have in the past rewarded and will continue to reward those many people who put in the time and effort to make the Club Tick -In the past 10 years we have bestowed the honour on a Team Manager,Secretary,Treasurer,President,Ladies Committee Member, Runner ,Timekeeper & Two hardworking General Supporters as well as those players who have been eligible.So whilst Life Membership isn't automatic for these people they are certainly not forgotten when nominations are made or Memberships given.

Good to see.Upwey would be one of the few that look at these volunteers who dont get paid and chalk up the 200games.Other clubs look at them but a hell of a lot longer than 200 games.We would be buggered without these volunteers.

Monbulk select Life Members based on the premise that it is the highest honour clubs can bestow.
The following are the basic criteria for nomination only; the final selection is done by a panel of Life Members who then submit their recommendations to the Committee.
The Hall of Fame also has a rigourous nomination criteria and selection process, but differs in that it is primarily for achievement on the playing field.

CRITERIA FOR LIFE MEMBERSHIP MFNC
  • A Life member can be nominated by any member of the Monbulk Football Netball Club at anytime.
  • Life Membership nominations should be in writing to the life member committee chairperson.
  • Although no longer a criteria of 300 points, it still should be used as a guideline for eligibility.
  • Points can only be gained through voluntary positions where no monetary payment is made.
Points are gained in the following manner:
50 points - for each year as President
40 points - for each year as Secretary or Treasurer
30 points - for each year as Coach (voluntary only - no monetary payment made)
15-30 points - (depending on level of commitment decided by Life Member Committee). For each year on Committee or significant voluntary duties, eg: Chairman of Selectors, Football Manager, Team Manager, time keeper, boundary umpire, Runner, bar manager, canteen manager, gate keeper, scoreboard attendant, league delegate, etc.
1 point - for each senior/reserve/netball game
0.5 point - for each Under 18 / Vets game due to age restriction.
In theory a player may qualify after 300 games but it is also required that the player must have contributed voluntarily elsewhere to be considered.
Please note this is a brief summary of the Life Membership process. For further information on the Life Membership process or an application please feel free to speak to Armin Richter the current Life Member Chair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back