Discussion [OFF-TOPIC] What are you listening to right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally gave in and decided to put my faith in the cloud music system. My days of meticulously maintaining my own personal music library are over. After doing a fair bit of research I've decided to go with Google Play Music.

Apple Music's match system is way too inconsistent and can screw with your original library; Spotify's catalogue doesn't integrate with your own local files very well (particularly on mobile), Rdio doesn't allow you to upload, only match.

Having spent a day or so with Google Play Music I'm really enjoying it, despite having an iPhone and MacBook. It matched ~8,000 of my 11,000 song library (a good effort considering there's plenty of b-sides and mixtapes in there) and is now slowly uploading the remaining 3,000.

The ability to access my own library on any computer or device I like for absolutely no cost is a pretty amazing feature, but I can definitely see myself paying $10 a month to stream from their catalogue and use that for obtaining new music.

Finally gave in and decided to put my faith in the cloud music system. My days of meticulously maintaining my own personal music library are over. After doing a fair bit of research I've decided to go with Google Play Music.

Apple Music's match system is way too inconsistent and can screw with your original library; Spotify's catalogue doesn't integrate with your own local files very well (particularly on mobile), Rdio doesn't allow you to upload, only match.

Having spent a day or so with Google Play Music I'm really enjoying it, despite having an iPhone and MacBook. It matched ~8,000 of my 11,000 song library (a good effort considering there's plenty of b-sides and mixtapes in there) and is now slowly uploading the remaining 3,000.

The ability to access my own library on any computer or device I like for absolutely no cost is a pretty amazing feature, but I can definitely see myself paying $10 a month to stream from their catalogue and use that for obtaining new music.
weeping for you

This is sounding more and more like the way to go.

tbh I buy more CDs now than I ever have, and I think that's because there's no delivery service that has really captured me. I might give Google play a go though.

This is sounding more and more like the way to go.

tbh I buy more CDs now than I ever have, and I think that's because there's no delivery service that has really captured me. I might give Google play a go though.

Do it. They give you a free 30-day trial of the unlimited streaming thing that's usually around $10 a month, the trial is what I'm using now. It's been so long since I've actually made a conscious effort to 'discover' music (far from the days of refreshing IndieShuffle, Soundcloud, Unearthed etc. every day) and I need something easy. This seems like it. Plus I've already backed up my entire library onto my own portable hard drive if Google were to somehow * with my collection.

If my internet were good enough, I'd probably be doing the same as you Gibbsy. At the moment I've got my music stored on a HD which I update whenever I buy new music on Google play. It's a real PITA to update it, but I'm waiting for NBN to come through so I'll have enough data and speed to upload my entire music collection to the cloud. Then I can be done with needing an SD card on my phone and all that crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If my internet were good enough, I'd probably be doing the same as you Gibbsy. At the moment I've got my music stored on a HD which I update whenever I buy new music on Google play. It's a real PITA to update it, but I'm waiting for NBN to come through so I'll have enough data and speed to upload my entire music collection to the cloud. Then I can be done with needing an SD card on my phone and all that crap.

Haha I get upload speeds of about 0.7mbps here mate so I fully expect this whole thing to take like a week. Will be worth it though. I just wish I had more than 1GB of data allowance a month

Haha I get upload speeds of about 0.7mbps here mate so I fully expect this whole thing to take like a week. Will be worth it though. I just wish I had more than 1GB of data allowance a month
I might try uploading it in sections overnight. I'll be at work so its not like I'll care what the internet speed is like ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back