News Offical: Nick Maxwell retires effective immediately (Nick's letter to supporters in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Heartfelt post.....can I also add that some people seem to get upset with players like Maxwell for being picked captain. It's the
club that made the choice and it ended up a good one. When the club asked him to pass on the baton, he did it without any fuss. We all know that he had weaknesses in his game but it was the club that asked him to play positions that highlighted those weaknesses.... he never demanded a certain role. He just got on with it and did his best. He did that last weekend when he was playing against guys inches taller and was injured as well. No excuses.

Finally, he always spoke in terms of the team. I have watched the grandstanding pretty boys in the world cup try to bring attention to themselves. Maxwell always spoke in terms of the team....always.... The funny thing is that by always putting the team first, he has made a great career for himself both with his football and off the field.

The truth of the matter is that a team of maxwells probably wont have the talent to win a premiership but if a team doesnt have a few players like Maxwell, it doesn't matter how many Buddys it has.

Side by Side Markfs

Main board thread is locked so here to give props. Far from the most talented player, from pick 15 in the rookie draft to play 200+ games and captain a premiership is a hell of an accomplishment. His leadership is very underrated outside of Collingwood supporters and he had a nasty habit of playing out of his skin come finals time. Also comes across as a top bloke too, love his charity work. Good job Nick.

Sorry to intrude guys.

Despite the flak he copped off opposition supporters Maxwell was a truely great leader for your club.

Great servant of your club. The bloke got absolutely every single bit of talent out of himself that he possibly could. I wish Carlton had 22 footballers with his attitude.

Just listened to him talk on AFL 360, and his message to everyone about not giving up on their dreams, to work hard, and to take responsibity of your own destiny was brilliant. Was easy to hear why he got so much out of himself, and why he is a real leader of men.

Onya Nick. Welcome down at Carlton anytime if you feel like taking up a assistant coaching possition ;)

Im getting all emotional, he was more than just a footballer, ily maxy. Yes im a softy, oh jeez:cry::cry::cry:.
Thanks to the other board members from other clubs saying your kind words, and for others looking right now at the thread, dont be shy if you want to share some kind words.

Last edited:
A genuine decent player in his own right, who made himself way better than decent by sheer will and desire, and one of the most intuitive and gifted leaders there has been in the game. His legacy will only be appreciated when the passage of time gives a better view of his achievements to those, for good or ill, who cannot approach his career without emotion getting in the way.

Collingwood premiership captain. Seriously great person. A man who always paid the price, every time without fail and showed the way when he could be forgiven for expecting others to bear the burden. He will be missed, but more than that, he will be remembered fondly for every one of us who live black and white.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Maxwell reminds me of Tom Harley; a player who was passionate for his club and gave it his all and vastly under appreciated by opposition supporters.I dont think anyone can truly know how influential Maxwell was at the club leadership wise, but players like that are just as important as multiple disposals and goals.

Maxy will never leave Collingwood

Rooke probably had 7 kg on him too. Everything about Maxy is evident in that one play. :)

Thanks for the memories Maxy. I don't care what anyone says about you, i'll always go into bat for ya!

Sure, you weren't the most skilled player, but what you lacked in skill you made up for in an abundance of leadership and passion. I respect you for making such a successful career out of the attributes you did have, and it doesn't matter what anyone says you'll always be a premiership captain of the Collingwood Magpies.

Main board thread is locked so here to give props. Far from the most talented player, from pick 15 in the rookie draft to play 200+ games and captain a premiership is a hell of an accomplishment. His leadership is very underrated outside of Collingwood supporters and he had a nasty habit of playing out of his skin come finals time. Also comes across as a top bloke too, love his charity work. Good job Nick.

I guess the Main Board Thread was Locked Because there be Plenty of Idiots there Bagging him and Collingwood.

I hope you don't mind me visiting this thread.

Through my work I have come into contact with Nick Maxwell on a few occasions. Each time I have found him really interesting to listen to and very passionate about the Collingwood Football Club. He was open to questions and very approachable. A great ambassador for your Club.

Whilst he was not the best player on your list he was a great leader and that to me epitomises what a good captain should be.

Good luck Nick and thanks

The young Irish red haired player that got delisted from our international rookie list last year came to a clinic with Lachie Keeffe and said to the kids that Maxwell was the most courageous player he knew and had huge respect for him. He went on to say that he played an incredible amount of games with broken bones and fractures in his body- from ribs, hands, fingers, wrists- and did not complain once.

I'm in the US at the moment and just woke to the news Maxy retired. I'm quite upset actually, even knowing it was probably going to happen.

Thank you for everything Maxy! You were a great player for the Pies and lead us to one of the greatest days! Best of luck with everything!

I'm in the US at the moment and just woke to the news Maxy retired. I'm quite upset actually, even knowing it was probably going to happen.

Thank you for everything Maxy! You were a great player for the Pies and lead us to one of the greatest days! Best of luck with everything!
I think that it's only fair that you fly down for the occasion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back