Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Honest question though - if they bid 1 for Mills will he be pick 1 if we take him at the discount?

No idea to be honest.

Still a bit of marketing vs costing a rival some points hmmm - /shrug maybe not worth it but weighing up the value of goodwill is always tricky.

Point still remains is it vexatious? Or just smart business?

Honest question though - if they bid 1 for Mills will he be pick 1 if we take him at the discount?

No idea to be honest.

Still a bit of marketing vs costing a rival some points hmmm - /shrug maybe not worth it but weighing up the value of goodwill is always tricky.

Its a free hit at a academy player.

List managers get big coin to deliver outcomes for their clubs based on *their* perspective list needs. Not what the other teams are doing. And at high picks where the pool is controlled. There is reduced relative value going in and punishing opposition with bids when the result is that list manger may take a player they don't need home. You can bet that a list manager that screws up on delivering Weitering or Parish and gets a NSW inside mid has a lot of explaining to do.

Heeney was the best pick for Melbourne, so they took it. They were looking for MIDs. This time around it looks like they moved up the order to obtain Parish specifically.

Not sure it will be a bidding bloodbath. Clubs trade in a vacuum at the top of the draft is my inclination.

No idea to be honest.

If they bid at Pick 1 and we match he becomes ours at Pick 1, so we get the hype of having the Number 1 Draft Pick plus the discount that goes with it. However if we matched such a bid (which we clearly are going to do with how we have set up in the trade period) we would be in debt points wise and that would have to be paid off with next years draft picks, thus weakens our position trade and draft wise a year in advance. Handy if we have a good season, shocking if we have a worse season that the one just past.

Certainly not vexatious

I think the more likely result would be in the future we don't help them with trades the way we helped Essendon and StKilda this year for example.

No words would be exchanged however we will be less likely to help those who have hurt our club the most. For example Fremantle and Melbourne have both made bids on our father son academy players in the last few years and Hawthorn and Collingwood have led the charge against the academies and Cola.

Western Bulldogs on the other hand would likely be in our good books after trading Talia and a 4th round pick for a 4th round pick in next years draft helping us accumulate points this year for a similar amount next year. Although the trade tracker says otherwise i think that was the trade. I know who I would be more likely to trade with.

If a genuine bid is made I wouldn't be upset for example Pick 3 for the third best player is fine but pick 1 for the 8th best player would be another story.
But we helped St.Kilda get their man this year despite them screwing us over the Membrey deal. We're too nice for our own good an no-one ever returns the favour.

If you want to know whether a bid is vexatious or not the simple way of looking at it is whether that club would have bid for Mills, for example, if The Swans didn't exist. No way know would Carlton or Brisbane have selected Mills over Weitering or Schache. In Melbourne's situation they don't need another big bodied inside mid so if they bid on Mills ahead of Parish, Francis or Weiderman it will clearly be vexatious. Next come GCS, GWS and Norf. If they bid on him I would consider that as being reasonable because he would probably be a better fit than the other players available.

No idea to be honest.

I see no reason why the two are mutually exclusive. A vexatious act can be good business.

The fact that so many are fretting over it already suggests the issue is vexatious by definition anyway, so the point is moot.

But we helped St.Kilda get their man this year despite them screwing us over the Membrey deal. We're too nice for our own good an no-one ever returns the favour.

The main objective was to stop Hawthorn getting Carlisle, though i doubt they were a realistic chance anyway. The picks we received are worth a few more points and after bidding will probably be worth more.

The main objective was to stop Hawthorn getting Carlisle, though i doubt they were a realistic chance anyway. The picks we received are worth a few more points and after bidding will probably be worth more.

It was pretty realistic hearing Dodoro speak they were shuffling around their cap trying to make space and Saints were refusing to give up pick 5 untill we came to the table.

I see no reason why the two are mutually exclusive. A vexatious act can be good business.

The fact that so many are fretting over it already suggests the issue is vexatious by definition anyway, so the point is moot.

Yeh this is probably closer to the mark. All a bit semantic in the construct.

One guys freedom fighter is another guys terrorist and all that.

It was pretty realistic hearing Dodoro speak they were shuffling around their cap trying to make space and Saints were refusing to give up pick 5 untill we came to the table.

I agree and probably why we did it. I just don't see how picks 18 and 15 was enough for Essendon but a trade involving pick 5 wasn't enough. I think Essendon were bluffing but we will never know.

I also thought Carlton were bluffing when they demanded pick 12 for Yarran and was proved right but you only find out after calling another teams bluff.

I think we helped get C. Birds salary (I would guess 400k+, as he signed after his top 10 b&e's) off our books.

We delisted Membrey So he could join Saints as a delisted free agent. We wanted to keep him, but did it in good faith. The reason no deal occurred and we delisted, for the picks he was worth, a trade was pointless and we wanted to help him get to the club of his choice. Plus list management

So I completely disagree with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F8XzorO.jpg

Most of what would have been picked up here would have been Swansrule100. Not a bad effort. Atleast we faired higher than Scumthorn and #lolnorf

Probably were first until milllky kept predicting hawthorn failing or bungee tipping bird for brownlow

Happy birthday to the great man Bobby Skilton, 77 today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back