Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought playing Carlton twice was wonderful because it would give us the opportunity to record not one but two podcasts laughing at them...

But now I think about it is even worth recording one podcast for such a poor excuse of a club?

Actually I agree with this #vonn4mod (See the pun? if she becomes a mod she will be the 4th mod)

Should just recycle the podcast from last year.

Sorry for the intrusion, but unless they've changed things and I missed it, you have a certain max and min for what band you are in. Top 6 teams are allowed at most one bottom six team, which is Carlton for you guys.

Oh I thought GWS would kill 2 birds with one stone for us regarding that.. Or are they in 7-12 now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I thought GWS would kill 2 birds with one stone for us regarding that.. Or are they in 7-12 now?

7-12, as they finished 11 last year.

Sorry for the intrusion, but unless they've changed things and I missed it, you have a certain max and min for what band you are in. Top 6 teams are allowed at most one bottom six team, which is Carlton for you guys.

Missed this post before, but I'm pretty sure you're correct. Our "double up" games this year are against GWS, Hawthorn, North, Richmond, and Carlton. The Blues are the only side from last year's bottom six that we play twice in 2016. We play GWS twice regardless of where they finish since they are our local derby opponent (similarly, Freo/WCE and Port/Adelaide will always play each other twice each year). So one less thing for the main board to whinge about, though you know they'll find something else ;)

anyone know where i can find the voting for the 1996 norm smith medal? Just watched last night and checked some stats, interested to see if Cressa polled a few votes in a losing side. No biggie just curious as he had 35 touches kicked a goal and had a few tackles.
Good question, I'm curious as well. Watched that game last month...bloody Freeborn.

I will never forget that Kelly chip kick to Lockett which fell just short in the 2nd quarter. Momentum swung after that and it would have given us a handy lead.

Good question, I'm curious as well. Watched that game last month...bloody Freeborn.

I will never forget that Kelly chip kick to Lockett which fell just short in the 2nd quarter. Momentum swung after that and it would have given us a handy lead.

I'm sure someone on the Norf Board would know. But I can't recall anyone polling a vote from us that day

Amazing to see cam McCarthy get so much sympathy and defence on main board, if it was a swan it would be drugs ala buddy

Amazing to see cam McCarthy get so much sympathy and defence on main board, if it was a swan it would be drugs ala buddy
GWS should have signed O'Keefe as a coach. Could have taught dummy spit MCCarthy how to be a grownup when your club won't release you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing I read HB indicated he was suffering from depression, only homesick. If that's the case then I hope the kid gets the help he needs.
I'd argue that "homesickness" is actually a contributing factor &/or a potential outcome of depression/mental illness.

His feelings of loss or loneliness & the resultant desperation to return to family & friends cannot be seperated from his mental wellbeing. I understand in some instances it's drawing a long bow as these guys do sign multi year 6 figure contracts & should be held to them.

However they are still human & like anyone sufferring from negative mental health issues as a result of their work enviroment I'd hope they seek help &/or reassess what they want out of their career & the options they have to live & work happier.

Good luck to him & the clubs involved. I hope they have settled on an agreeable compromise now.

Good luck to him & the clubs involved. I hope they have settled on an agreeable compromise now.
No compromise. He is free to quit and move back to WA any time he wants, to spend 100% of his time at home with his family. What he isn't free to do is to demand to continue being highly paid to pay professional football in a national code at the club of his choice in the location of his choice. If he wants to retire and move back home, spend all of his time with his family and play in the WAFL, all power to him and I will certaintly support his choice.

No compromise. He is free to quit and move back to WA any time he wants, to spend 100% of his time at home with his family. What he isn't free to do is to demand to continue being highly paid to pay professional football in a national code at the club of his choice in the location of his choice. If he wants to retire and move back home, spend all of his time with his family and play in the WAFL, all power to him.
Yep, completely agree mate. Never meant otherwise. Rules are rules & (as I said) they do sign themselves up to a club on a $6figure contract that they should be held to. No arguments from me on that.

It's obvious that the club have tried to keep him on board & help him through it without resorting to tearing up his contract straight out.

What I was getting at is to ensure those player welfare strategies are in place, implemented & utilised to their maximum before agreeing to part ways allowing the club & player to amicably seperate & both be in better positions after.

GWS saying he suffering anxiety and possibly lost 9 kgs.

To clarify my last post nothing against McCarthy more potting the flogs who threw around drugs etc when buddy took leave.

There's mental illness, and then there's the normal range of emotion that everyone feels. Sometimes your situation gets you down, depressed even, however, everyone has some level of control over how they feel.

He may just lack the resilience to overcome a difficult situation.

From my distant perspective, it appears as though he was happy just to be playing afl 12 months ago. Then when Freo came into the picture he realised that he could be living his dream, WHILE playing in his home state. When that feel through he would have felt resentment towards gws for not accommodating him. And from there, all sorts of things would be going through his mind. He's probably kicking himself for extending his contract when he would have been fine taking the risk and relying on interest from other clubs (which may not have been present when he signed the contract extension).

Best way to get through a situation like this is to grow a pair, do what he's contracted, and well paid to do, and hold on for the next 1-2 years, where he'll be in a position to choose where he wants to continue his career.

If that's not a reasonable situation for him, then he can choose to walk away from the large pay cheque and find a real job for the next two years.

He gets no sympathy from me. Unless of course he is in fact suffering from a debilitating mental illness, and has unsuccessfully tried to pull himself out of his rut.

From my distant perspective, it appears as though he was happy just to be playing afl 12 months ago.

As apparently was Buddy until he needed to step away.
Or Perhaps Goodesy was also weak for needing time out?

He gets no sympathy from me. Unless of course he is in fact suffering from a debilitating mental illness, and has unsuccessfully tried to pull himself out of his rut

So you have no idea whether he has a genuine problem or not, but are quite happy to be judgemental on his character.
Comment from GWS today;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...6/news-story/f7de7a1183490e784544a75bbff73aba
"It’s about a young man who is battling in some areas of his life and it’s quite irrelevant where he is playing,” he (Giants CEO) said.

“I don’t think he is in a position right now to be playing at Fremantle, the Giants, or anywhere. It’s more a case of him getting himself right.”

Sounds like people at GWS, you know those that actually know him, believe he has a genuine problem.

I and I am sure the vast majority of Sydney supporters believed that Buddy was dealing with mental health issues that required him to step away from the game.
We were also pissed off that some opposition fans chose instead to go with the 3 strikes crap, rather than accepting that a high profile individual, no matter how seemingly successful, can be dealing with matters such as anxiety/depression.

However even though the Hun reports* "Greater Western Sydney rising star Cam McCarthy is unlikely to return to the Giants as he battles anxiety and depression issues" some choose to question his honesty and toughness.

It disappoints me that we choose to apply a different standard with regard to our players in comparison to those of other teams, particularly in relation to an issue such as this.
Indeed on the face of it a young player, early in his career, away from home would surely be seen as a more likely candidate for depression that a rich superstar with a beautiful fiancee.

In my view worth remembering something Longmire said**, when reports of Buddy's illness broke;

"This is very common across society and across professional sport.

It does not discriminate from an 18-year-old kid coming from interstate struggling with a lot of different issues or one of the very best players in the game."

I am willing to accept he has genuine issues and I am more than happy to wish McCarthy well in his struggles with his mental health illness.

*http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/5a2f659acd8c51a0d146166c5fc2aaf5

**http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...-mental-health-condition-20150908-gjhkm2.html

Comment from GWS today;
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...6/news-story/f7de7a1183490e784544a75bbff73aba

Sounds like people at GWS, you know those that actually know him, believe he has a genuine problem.

I and I am sure the vast majority of Sydney supporters believed that Buddy was dealing with mental health issues that required him to step away from the game.
We were also pissed off that some opposition fans chose instead to go with the 3 strikes crap, rather than accepting that a high profile individual, no matter how seemingly successful, can be dealing with matters such as anxiety/depression.

However even though the Hun reports* "Greater Western Sydney rising star Cam McCarthy is unlikely to return to the Giants as he battles anxiety and depression issues" some choose to question his honesty and toughness.

It disappoints me that we choose to apply a different standard with regard to our players in comparison to those of other teams, particularly in relation to an issue such as this.
Indeed on the face of it a young player, early in his career, away from home would surely be seen as a more likely candidate for depression that a rich superstar with a beautiful fiancee.

In my view worth remembering something Longmire said**, when reports of Buddy's illness broke;

"This is very common across society and across professional sport.

It does not discriminate from an 18-year-old kid coming from interstate struggling with a lot of different issues or one of the very best players in the game."

I am willing to accept he has genuine issues and I am more than happy to wish McCarthy well in his struggles with his mental health illness.

*http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/5a2f659acd8c51a0d146166c5fc2aaf5

**http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...-mental-health-condition-20150908-gjhkm2.html

The difference is, buddy was battling mental issues. The club supported him and he was only ever going to play for the Swans. He needed a space from football not a bigger contract with another team.

McCarthy was home sick. Why did he sign a contract extension with GWS? He took a pay raise/job security and he only had homesick issues when freo came calling.

Homesickness doesn't appear overnight. If he has other issues I sympathize but someone signing a contract to get more money, then a year later wanting more money from a "home" team doesn't sit well with me.

The difference is, buddy was battling mental issues. The club supported him and he was only ever going to play for the Swans. He needed a space from football not a bigger contract with another team.

McCarthy was home sick. Why did he sign a contract extension with GWS? He took a pay raise/job security and he only had homesick issues when freo came calling.

Homesickness doesn't appear overnight. If he has other issues I sympathize but someone signing a contract to get more money, then a year later wanting more money from a "home" team doesn't sit well with me.

Possible, during the October 2015 trade period, he was trying to use the homesickness card to get to Freo.
Surely also possible he was genuinely depressed and felt going home to WA was a solution.

He signed the extension in April 2014, 5 months after joining the Giants and prior to making his debut.
In hindsight clearly a mistake, but perhaps the issues hadn't manifested themselves to any significant degree at that stage.

What possible advantage would there be for him to walk away from GWS at this point of time, unless he had genuine issues?
Issues that to my mind GWS today acknowledged in their statement, which I quoted above.
He either plays with GWS in 2015 or stands out of AFL football for the season.
Doing this in late 2015 (or previously in late 2014) may force a trade to Freo I see no strategic value in doing it now, unless he does indeed have real anxiety/depression concerns.

Take another seat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back