Mega Thread Official 2012 Draft discussion thread: All drafts complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a whole lot of discussion regarding our picks and where we're going with them in other threads, but I thought we could make that settle in one place.

Here...

At the moment, and it may stay that way unless we pull off a win vs the Crows at home AND/or Freo at Patterson's (here's hoping!) along with what we hope will be a win for us at Skoda, we will have NAB ND selections 3, 4, 13, 26, 45, 64 and PSD pick 3.

Fire away with discussing how we should use them, and to an extent, Free Agency (though that will have a thread too).

Any trade week rumours that are relevant can sit here too.

Our current picks: 4 | 26 | 48 52 | 68 71 72 | 86 | 104 | 122

Full AFL Draft Order
ROUND ONE1. Greater Western Sydney
2. Greater Western Sydney
3. Greater Western Sydney
4. Melbourne (GWS compensation - Tom Scully)
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Western Bulldogs (GWS compensation - Callan Ward)
7. Port Adelaide
8. Brisbane Lions
9. Richmond
10. Essendon (father-son selection committed to Joe Daniher)
11. Carlton
12. Greater Western Sydney
13. Gold Coast (Saints' FA compensation - Brendon Goddard, on-traded to Gold Coast)
14. Greater Western Sydney
15. North Melbourne
16. Geelong
17. Fremantle
18. Collingwood
19. Collingwood
20. Collingwood (GWS compensation - originally via Adelaide - Phil Davis)
21. Western Bulldogs
22. Sydney Swans

END OF ROUND ONE23. Brisbane Lions (GC compensation - Michael Rischitelli)

ROUND TWO24. St Kilda
25. St Kilda
26. Melbourne (father-son selection committed to Jack Viney)
27. Greater Western Sydney
28. Hawthorn
29. Port Adelaide (FA compensation - Danyle Pearce)
30. Port Adelaide (FA compensation - Troy Chaplin)
31. Richmond (GC compensation - originally via Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer)
32. Brisbane Lions
33. Richmond
34. Essendon
35. Carlton
36. Fremantle
37. North Melbourne
38. Collingwood
39. Fremantle
40. St Kilda
41. North Melbourne
42. Richmond
43. St Kilda
44. Sydney Swans

ROUND THREE45. West Coast
46. Sydney Swans
47. North Melbourne
48. Melbourne (FA compensation - net result for Brent Moloney and Jared Rivers)
49. Western Bulldogs (father-son selection committed to Lachie Hunter)
50. Western Bulldogs (GWS compensation - Sam Reid)
51. Essendon
52. Melbourne
53. Essendon
54. Carlton
55. Gold Coast
56. North Melbourne
57. Gold Coast
58. Gold Coast
59. West Coast
60. West Coast (FA compensation - Quinten Lynch)
61. North Melbourne
62. Adelaide
63. Greater Western Sydney
64. Sydney Swans (Via Hawthorn - FA compensation - Clinton Young)
65. Sydney Swans

ROUND FOUR66. Hawthorn
67. Greater Western Sydney
68. Melbourne
69. Carlton
70. Hawthorn
71. Melbourne
72. Melbourne
73. Essendon
74. Carlton
75. St Kilda
76. North Melbourne
77. Geelong
78. Fremantle
79. West Coast
80. Collingwood
81. Adelaide
82. Port Adelaide

ROUND FIVE83. Greater Western Sydney
84. Western Bulldogs
85. Port Adelaide
86. Brisbane Lions
87. Richmond
88. Essendon
89. Carlton
90. St Kilda
91. North Melbourne
92. Geelong
93. Fremantle
94. Collingwood
95. Adelaide
96. Sydney Swans

ROUND SIX97. Greater Western Sydney
98. Western Bulldogs
99. Brisbane Lions
100. Richmond
101. Essendon
102. Carlton
103. North Melbourne
104. Sydney Swans

ROUND SEVEN105. Western Bulldogs
106. Essendon
107. Sydney Swans

Other Links

2012 AFL Draft Combine Invites

GWS Draft Concessions

GC Draft Concessions

AFL under 18 championships

There's a few things that I'm certainly considering...

-Brodie Grundy. Would love this bloke playing for us. Has a fair bit of mongrel and is certainly ready made for AFL football. The only concern is that we have so many like him (Gawn, Martin, Jamar, Clark, Fitzpatrick) but if we can fit five big blokes who have played games why can't we have a sixth, particularly as Jamar is going to play max two years? I reckon it's worth it. GWS might go after him (they are not going to get in the way of offloading Giles which is crazy IMO) even though they have Cameron and Patton in the forward line, but it's too risky getting him instead of Whitfield who's supposed to be a clear #1 draft pick.

-Ben Kennedy. We may have found a potential small forward saviour in Bleasey but I reckon its worth punting pick four on Ben Kennedy. Sensational at the U/18s and dominated the game I saw against Vic Country. Would love to see Kennedy to Grundy at Melbourne in 2013 and beyond much like I did that game.

-Lachlan Whitfield: What if? What if GWS and Gold Coast don't feel that he's a bloke they need? I'd love that. Would be a very unlikely chance to happen. Dream scenario would be Whitfield #3, Grundy #4, Kennedy #13 but that's a 0.00000001% chance.

-Free agency. Yes I want Cloke. It would make Clark a much more dangerous prospect playing on the second defender (hey, it sounds like last season all over again). I would want Goddard but his stocks has dipped a little this season, still if I knew he could replicate his 2010 form I'd take him in under a second.

-Mature-age: Becoming a huge factor now in drafting. One bloke who I reckon we have a fair chance of snaring is Myke Cook. Listed on the AFL site as a prospect, been playing some alright football for Frankston apparently and also has the Neil Craig factor. Worked well for Sellar this season, could work for Cook next season.

-17YO: I would love to have Jack Martin or Jack Billings but I fear that we have to much to give away with three draft picks in a very very good draft. Still, Martin and Billings are guns.

-Jack Viney: He's going to be a very good player. Not at a #1 or #2 standard but if he's like his dad we've got a champion on our hands.

I think Melbourne should draft 3 or 4 players in this draft, use the other picks for trade or rookie upgrade Nicholson and maybe Magner.

pick 3 and 4 must be used in the draft, way too much talent up there to trade them away, All we know is one of Whitfield, Grundy and Toumpas will still be there, Whitfield will be gone most likely and lets say Viney isn't nominated and we have pick 3 and 4 and Toumpas is taken so we take Grundy I think we should take Oliver Wines, but if Grundy is gone and we take Toumpas while I would also consider Wines I think we should look at Stringer or maybe Garlett or Kennedy, I think they're a bit of a risk at pick 4 but with Toumpas and Viney already another Mid is not what we really need. If Viney is nominated I would take him though.

Pick 13 and 26 are up for trade for ready made mature players if there are good enough players up for trade, Obviously if we are taking Viney at 26 it wont be and I'm not 100% there is going to be a good enough player available to trade pick 13 for, we'll just have to wait and see, maybe we could nab one of the GWS mini draft picks with it.

The rest of the picks all depend on who we have drafted and traded for already, Nicholson should be upgraded to the seniors list, the other pick trade for a mature aged player probably, I think Magner should have another year on the rookie list

we should also be looking fo a couple of mature free agents, not sure we'll get stars through it but we need some ready made players to atleast fill some sort of role, everything also depends on who we delist and how many spots are available

Magner will get upgraded IMO. Can't let the bloke live off a pittance for another year at his age. Couch is the one who will stay on the RL, I think.

Magner will get upgraded IMO. Can't let the bloke live off a pittance for another year at his age. Couch is the one who will stay on the RL, I think.
I just think his second half of the year form has let him down a little, 1st half form i would upgrade him but after his seond half of the season there are still some question marks over him, He wouldn't be in our best 22 so i would give him a second year on the rookie list to work on his game and show that he deserves a spot on the senior list, Just like what Nicholson has done this year.

Neeldy1

Draftee
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pick 3 - Jimmy Toumpas
Pick 4 - Jack Martin/Sam Mayes
Pick 13 - Ben Kennedy/Jake Stringer/Dayle Garlett
Pick 26 - Jack Viney
Pick 45 - Myke Cook/Tom Lee
Pick 64 - Anthony Tipungwuti
Pick 82 - Daniel Nicholson (Rookie elevation)

Rookie - Dean Galea, Khan Haretuku
Free Agent - Travis Cloke, Shannon Byrnes
Trade for - Charlie Dixon, Koby Stevens

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Agree with this, also think Nicholson should be drafted onto the list, his pace off half back is a rarity in our team at the moment.

When do GWS and GC have to decide if bidding for Viney?

Nicholson > Magner as far as rookie promotion is concerned. Wouldn't want both on the senior list.

Will be interesting to see the role free agency plays in our selections - would think this will play a massive role in our use of draft selection.

Would be ok with trading away a first rounder for an established player (moreso pick 13 than 3 or 4, I'm just scared we'll * up our drafting like so many times before). That said, wouldn't say no to someone the right age and talent for pick 4 i.e. Dayne Beams.

Agree with this, also think Nicholson should be drafted onto the list, his pace off half back is a rarity in our team at the moment.

When do GWS and GC have to decide if bidding for Viney?

AFL Key Dates
August 1, 2pm - Nomination deadline for 17-year-old players under second and final year of GWS Giants Trade Incentive Rules.

October 1 - Commencement of Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency period.

October 5, 2pm - Nomination of Father-Son Eligible Players and Academy Bidding Players.

October 8, 10am - Father Son Eligible Players and Academy Players Bid Meeting.

October 8 - Commencement of Trade Period.

Not actually sure if they have to signal intention to bid prior to bidding day.

Nicholson is a certainty to be promoted, you don't leave blokes on the rookie list for a third year unless they have been beset by injuries or something like that.

Magner's elevation might depend on how many players we trade in - he could stay on the rookie list if we end up landing 5-6 mature players and just don't have the space for him on the senior list.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
How does the rookie list work with regard to Nicholson and Evans - I thought you can only keep them rookied for 2 years before they are allowed to go through the National Draft? I presume we need to upgrade them in the national draft, or run the risk of another club picking them up in the pre-season draft??

If so, we need to play Evans and get a good look at him in last rounds of the year.

andrew127127

Rookie
Aug 14, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pick 3 - Jimmy Toumpas
Pick 26 - Jack Viney

I agree with toumpas and mayed and kennedy as our first round selections and hopefully we get viney with out second round pick as well we need as much pace as possible

If Stringer is available at 13 - it would be a terrible decision not to take him.

Yes, he's struggled with his leg this year ... BUT he's an absolute top-tier talent and if we think we can get his body right there's absolutely no reason not to pick him.

syl

FAIR and BALANCED
Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe 2012 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2012 Player Sponsor
Mar 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
North
I just think his second half of the year form has let him down a little, 1st half form i would upgrade him but after his seond half of the season there are still some question marks over him, He wouldn't be in our best 22 so i would give him a second year on the rookie list to work on his game and show that he deserves a spot on the senior list, Just like what Nicholson has done this year.

He is great, works hard, you can see from his first half performance that it is just down to fitness. Give him a real pay packet, make him a pro footy player and give him a full pre-season and he will be definitely worth it! First 22 or fringe depth player (better than having Bate as your depth mid by miles).

Nicho gets the nod from me as well for sure, he is a Blease style player that can be really electric with his run, need to get some hunger in to him to bring players down from behind and work on his disposal, make him a pro player!

Need to make room for these blokes, you would assume Liam Jurrah (?), Brent Moloney (?), Ricky Petterd, Joel Macdonald (?), Matthew Bate, Clint Bartram, James Sellar (?), Jamie Bennell and Troy Davis. Will all be gone.

I feel bad for Barts, bad luck with his knee. LJ gone depending on court case, Beamer can go and get ****ed unless he wants play for his red and blue again. Joel Mc or Sellar - don't need both.

Nicho's a beauty and certainly in the best 22. I even think he can, looking forward, become one of the best five half back flankers in the game within five years. Big call I know but I love what I see - he gives effort, he's fast and he's starting to use the ball well which are very good qualities to have in a good young player.

Not bad for a VAFA kid.

Need to make room for these blokes, you would assume Liam Jurrah (?), Brent Moloney (?), Ricky Petterd, Joel Macdonald (?), Matthew Bate, Clint Bartram, James Sellar (?), Jamie Bennell and Troy Davis. Will all be gone.

Jurrah will stay. We're providing support for his court case, we're not just going to desert him - if he gets convicted then I think he'd go. Moloney I agree with, don't see too much of a future, Petterd is trade bait and we can get a good deal with GC given they have to offload eight players I think, Macdonald... I like his effort, but I'd rather Sellar for his versatility, Bate can go, Bartram... tentative one year deal depending on his knees, with a coaching role if he can't play, Sellar I think we should keep, Bennell goes, Davis keep given it's only his second year and it'd be unfair to move him on given he's still developing.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Pick 3 - Jimmy Toumpas
Pick 26 - Jack Viney

Pretty much this unless a Wines or Plowman reaches 13, would be a huge draft

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
If Stringer is available at 13 - it would be a terrible decision not to take him.

Yes, he's struggled with his leg this year ... BUT he's an absolute top-tier talent and if we think we can get his body right there's absolutely no reason not to pick him.

I do agree with you, although a Menzel, Kennedy Garlett type id exactly what we need, mainly the last 2

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
How does the rookie list work with regard to Nicholson and Evans - I thought you can only keep them rookied for 2 years before they are allowed to go through the National Draft? I presume we need to upgrade them in the national draft, or run the risk of another club picking them up in the pre-season draft??

(b) A Club may retain a Player on its Rookie List for a third season provided it nominates such Player or Players using Form 32 prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 4.1.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season. If a Player is retained under this Rule 21.4(b), any amount he is paid in excess of the 1st year third round draft selection Player payment will be included in the Club’s Total Player Payments.
(c) A Club may retain a Player included on a Club’s Rookie List under Rule 21.3.4(a)(i) and (ii) for a third season, using Form 32, provided it nominates such Player prior to advising the AFL of its Primary List under Rule 4.1.1 and such Player consents to being nominated on the Rookie List for a third season.​
It reads like a bunch of gibberish, but basically the answer is yes, you can rookie players for a third year. They get a bit more money too. I doubt a guy like Evans would say no if offered a third. Wouldn't be surprised if a few players play their first (or last) games for the club under Neeld in Round 23.

He is great, works hard, you can see from his first half performance that it is just down to fitness. Give him a real pay packet, make him a pro footy player and give him a full pre-season and he will be definitely worth it! First 22 or fringe depth player (better than having Bate as your depth mid by miles).

Nicho gets the nod from me as well for sure, he is a Blease style player that can be really electric with his run, need to get some hunger in to him to bring players down from behind and work on his disposal, make him a pro player!

I feel bad for Barts, bad luck with his knee. LJ gone depending on court case, Beamer can go and get ****** unless he wants play for his red and blue again. Joel Mc or Sellar - don't need both.

Nicholson 100% gets a spot but i'm not sure Magner does, he has lost his early form which maybe a fitness issue i dunno but like you said we need to clear room for these blokes, these blokes include, 4 picks inside 30, a couple of free agents and Nico, thats already 7 spots we need to clear, out of the 9 guys you mentioned i would keep Jurrah (depending on circumstances) Moloney, Sellar and Davis, so the other 5 you mentioned and Green give us 6 spots at this stage, I can't see a spot becoming available for him, if there is a spare spot available then yes promote him to the senior list but if not another year on the rookie list.

Pick 3 - Jimmy Toumpas
Pick 26 - Jack Viney

Jack Martin isn't even guaranteed to be a top 5 pick in next years weaker draft, things could change next year, yes he rise to number 1 but he could also drop out of the top 10, no way should we give pick 4 in this so called super draft for him, he is no where near the quallity of O'meara who would 100% go number 1 in this years draft, I don't think any club will give up a top 10 pick for him this year, I think we are a chance with pick 13 and a player (Bate, Petterd) for the first GWS mini draft pick or at least the second pick.

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Toumpas is there at 3 and we don't take him, I'll be equally as angry as when we didn't pick up Jack Darling. The kid has class written all over him. He isn't a pocket rocket like a Ben Kennedy he is a tallish mid who has polish, time and the temperament of a seriously good player. Could be a good utility with his height and overall good skills. Really want this kid, it's gonna be a hard draft to staff up this draft regardless, but his a must have, ticks all the boxes and is ready made for AFL having finished school last year.

I feel bad for Barts, bad luck with his knee. LJ gone depending on court case, Beamer can go and get ****** unless he wants play for his red and blue again. Joel Mc or Sellar - don't need both.
No need to delist Davis, why the hell would we?

If Toumpas is there at 3 and we don't take him, I'll be equally as angry as when we didn't pick up Jack Darling. The kid has class written all over him. He isn't a pocket rocket like a Ben Kennedy he is a tallish mid who has polish, time and the temperament of a seriously good player. Could be a good utility with his height and overall good skills. Really want this kid, it's gonna be a hard draft to staff up this draft regardless, but his a must have, ticks all the boxes and is ready made for AFL having finished school last year.
Sounds like Cale as a junior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back