Mega Thread Official 2012 Free Agency discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post all specific discussion about Free Agency and the Trade period in this thread.

There are 2 other threads also:

List Management

Drafting

Many posters will understandably wish to discuss multiple topics (as they are inter-related) in a single post. We'll leave it at the discretion of posters as to the most appropriate thread to use however the List Management thread is probably the best one as a free for all as it includes general discussion.

Please keep specific Drafting and FA/Trading discussion to their respective threads.

Key dates for Free Agency and Trading

August 1, 2pm - Nomination deadline for 17-year-old players under second and final year of GWS Giants Trade Incentive Rules.

October 1 - Commencement of Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency period.

October 5, 2pm - Nomination of Father-Son Eligible Players and Academy Bidding Players.

October 8, 10am - Father Son Eligible Players and Academy Players Bid Meeting.

October 8 - Commencement of Trade Period.

October 19, 2pm - Deadline for GWS Giants to pre-list balance of any uncontracted players under List Establishment rules.

October 19, 5pm - Close to Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.

October 23, 5pm - Trade Incentive Rule (17 year-olds). Deadline for trading.

October 26, 2pm - End of Trade Period.

October 26, 2.10pm - Trade Incentive (17 year-olds) Selection.

October 31, 2pm - List Lodgement One.

November 1 - Commencement to Delisted Player Free Agency Period.

November 13, 2pm - End to Delisted Player Free Agency Period.

HOW THE FA SYSTEM OPERATES FOR ALL PLAYERS ACROSS THE COMPETITION -

A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and is now out of contract.
The player is not eligible for free agency if his club wishes to retain him. He may only move clubs via a trade or the draft. If he delists himself, he is subject to the draft, and may be selected by any club.

A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and has been delisted by his club.
The player is a free agent and is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
The player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
The player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.
His original club, which chose to delist him, does not receive any compensation pick for the loss of the player.

A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the top 25 per cent highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service. (restricted free agent)
The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
His club has the right to match the presented offer.
If the club matches the offer, he may choose to remain with his original club, seek a trade or enter the Draft.
If the club does not or can not match the offer, the player can move to the new club of his choice.
His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is NOT one of the top 25 per cent highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service. (unrestricted free agent)
The player is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.
His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after serving his first eight or more seasons at his club, and is now out of contract. (Unrestricted free agent)
The player is eligible to field offers from all rival clubs.
His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.

Jay Clark reporting tonight that we are in the box seat to secure Chris Knights if he wants a change of scenery.
He's gone off the radar a bit at Adelaide but I remember last year a few of us (myself included) being a bit chirpy about him and his kicking exploits. He may not be the answer to our long term woes but he would add to our stocks at this point in time such is our midfield situation.

Is he contracted?

He's gone off the radar a bit at Adelaide but I remember last year a few of us (myself included) being a bit chirpy about him and his kicking exploits. He may not be the answer to our long term woes but he would add to our stocks at this point in time such is our midfield situation.

Is he contracted?
Not sure on his contract situation, and I haven't seen a great deal of him, but surely a goal-kicking midfielder could very well be a handy addition.

Who knows, a change of club and a refreshing and new role could do wonders.

Not sure on his contract situation, and I haven't seen a great deal of him, but surely a goal-kicking midfielder could very well be a handy addition.
Yep, he's out of contract.

Here
Adelaide has just four players still unsigned for next season - Tippett, Knights, midfielder David Mackay and one of its inexperienced recent draftees.

Sheesh, they'd want Mackay signed up quick smart.

Not sure, but I would have thought he's not going anywhere soon... is best 22 for a quality team. Xavier Ellis is the guy who might want to go elsewhere.
Do we really want Xav Ellis though?

Clint Young has only come into calculations with the Hodge injury and the like - he didn't get a game for much of the year. He's behind Whitecross, Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Hodge and even Suckling when he plays through the midfield. It's between him and Ellis, and I prefer Young.

Do we really want Xav Ellis though?

Clint Young has only come into calculations with the Hodge injury and the like - he didn't get a game for much of the year. He's behind Whitecross, Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Hodge and even Suckling when he plays through the midfield. It's between him and Ellis, and I prefer Young.

Yeah I dunno, both would probably add something to our team, depends how much we would have to pay for them though.

Both Knights and Young are unrestricted Free Agents so throw them a bit of extra cash and a better opportunity to play every week and they might come over, also a trade for David Ellard (possible strait swap for Petterd), Drafting Viney and maybe Toumpas would Really help our midfield out, that give us Experience, Depth and long term future prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Knights and Young are unrestricted Free Agents so throw them a bit of extra cash and a better opportunity to play every week and they might come over, also a trade for David Ellard (possible strait swap for Petterd), Drafting Viney and maybe Toumpas would Really help our midfield out, that give us Experience, Depth and long term future prospects.

Young and Ellard would be excellent acquisitions. In today's game Young has had 21 possessions at 87%efficiency thus far. He would give us penetration and accuracy with that left foot of his, something we lack. Ellard is hard, quick and can find the footy. He would would be an experienced player who would give our midfield rotation greater depth. It would be hard to get a game in the Carlton midfield behind Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson, Robinson, etc. Would trade him for Petterd/third rounder.

Not sure about Knights. Can't comment. His body does seem to let him down a bit??? Craigy would be in an excellent position to make a call on him.

Just visited the Adelaide board. To a man, none of them were complimentary about Knights. They all wanted him dropped this week. Slow was a word that was bandied around a lot. Slow players are the last thing we need.

Just visited the Adelaide board. To a man, none of them were complimentary about Knights. They all wanted him dropped this week. Slow was a word that was bandied around a lot. Slow players are the last thing we need.
Tbh, it's actually quite a while since I've seen him play a full game, but i remember likening him to Shaun Higgins. Both have really good skills,they both are great finishers and have great awareness around goals, but more than anything both are prone to injuries. However, when fit he can really accumulate the ball and his goal sense is something we could do with around the club. I'm not sure if his lack of pace is because of injury or he simply doesn't have speed, but I think he could have a role at our club

Couple of players I wouldn't mind...

Sam Butler (WCE)

Class Half Back

and Steven May (GCS)

Strong Key Position Forward
May played a really good game today, but A) his not a key position forward and B) i'm not sure he is the type of player we are after. His in between heights and I just think today was a one off sorta game from him.

A bit out of left field and I don't think you guys would like the idea, but would it be possible for Frawley to be traded given the likes of McDonald emerging and his form dropping a bit since his AA year?

A bit out of left field and I don't think you guys would like the idea, but would it be possible for Frawley to be traded given the likes of McDonald emerging and his form dropping a bit since his AA year?
No, he's far too important for us to let go. McDonald is still young, and needs a lot more time to develop into the role, and his kicking is ordinary most of the time (Frawley's is generally pretty good I think). Frawley should hopefully get back to some better form and is important as he is a lot more consistent and reliable than our other backs most of the time. Also he's apparently been mentoring McDonald a bit, so I'd like that to continue.

35onan.jpg

haha no worries, just a thought
A legitimate one, too - we currently have Frawley, McDonald, Watts, Rivers, Sellar and Garland who all can play and frequently do (Sellar less so, I know) as tall defenders. Given that they're all played regular games this year...it's almost too much.

haha no worries, just a thought

Saints fans are desperate for a tall defender of any sort, I think you're aiming too high there though mate. Lol. Rivers would have to be a chance to go there under FA though... Again, just a thought, unlikely to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back