Status
Not open for further replies.

rohansword

Senior List
Oct 4, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Moderator Note:

Posters are welcome to incorporate FA/Trading or Drafting discussion into any list management discussion in this thread as this is a bit of a free-for all thread.

Any specific Draft or FA/Trading talk belongs in their respective threads however.

FA/Trading

Drafting

Senior List Changes

IN (9): Barry (GWS zone recruit), Byrnes (UFA), Dawes (trade), Evans (Rookie upgrade), Gillies (Delisted FA), Nicholson (Rookie upgrade), Pedersen (trade), Rodan (trade), Viney (F/S-ND regular 2nd rnd pick)

[Hogan (MD-17yr old) 2014]

OUT (12): Bartram (retired), Bate (delisted), Bennell (delisted), Cook (delisted), Green (retired), Gysberts (traded), Jurrah (delisted), Martin (traded), Moloney (RFA), Morton (traded), Petterd (delisted), Rivers (UFA)

Current 2013 senior spots vacant: 4/40

Rookie List Changes

IN:

OUT: Evans (Rookie upgrade), Nicholson (Rookie upgrade), Lawrence (delisted), Sheahan (delisted), Williams (delisted)

Current 2013 rookie spots vacant: 2/4

Important remaining dates relevant to us:
November 15, 2pm - List Lodgement Two.
November 22 - NAB AFL Draft, Gold Coast Convention Centre.
November 23 - Second Delisted Player Free Agency Period commences.
November 28, 5pm - Second Delisted Player Free Agency Period ends.
November 29, 2pm - List Lodgement Three.
December 11, 11am - NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.
December 11, 11.10am - NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

Obviously there are a few players on our list that still have trade value. however there are a number of players that cannot go forward. Yes I agree it is essential to have players that have played 100+ games but there is definitely a question that needs to be asked when considering their future out our club. we have good picks that may also be used to trade for some middle aged players.
In saying that, with a few really high picks, we need to make space on our list.

What are your thoughts??

Delist/Trade
Bate
Davey
Fitzpatrick
Green (RETIRED)
Jurrah (WALK OUT)
J.MacDonald
Morton

K.Lawrence (rookie)

Promote
Nicholson
Couch
Magner

Draft Picks
3,4,13,31,49#

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-mfc-list-breaking-down-whats-needed.933479/
There's already a couple of 'list management' threads floating around (perhaps merge them all into a megathread mods?).
I doubt that Couch, Mags and Nicho would all be upgraded. Nicho is most likely I think, Magner a good chance and Couch unlikely.
Bate will probably be gone at seasons end; Petterd too I dare say. Unfortunate, but Bate isn't really big enough for the forward line or quick enough to play midfield and Petterd is far too up and down, and hasn't really done much this year.
Moloney could also get the chop, hasn't had a great year and could go as a FA.
Pending Bartram's knee, Jurrah's case and what the club wants to do with injured guys like Morts and Bennell, they could all be gone too. It'd be nice to keep LJ and Bartram I think, but depends on the circumstances; Morton and Bennell may be gone too which sucks for them, but that's footy.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-mfc-list-breaking-down-whats-needed.933479/
There's already a couple of 'list management' threads floating around (perhaps merge them all into a megathread mods?).
I doubt that Couch, Mags and Nicho would all be upgraded. Nicho is most likely I think, Magner a good chance and Couch unlikely.
Bate will probably be gone at seasons end; Petterd too I dare say. Unfortunate, but Bate isn't really big enough for the forward line or quick enough to play midfield and Petterd is far too up and down, and hasn't really done much this year.
Moloney could also get the chop, hasn't had a great year and could go as a FA.
Pending Bartram's knee, Jurrah's case and what the club wants to do with injured guys like Morts and Bennell, they could all be gone too. It'd be nice to keep LJ and Bartram I think, but depends on the circumstances; Morton and Bennell may be gone too which sucks for them, but that's footy.
your probably right about couch.
bate has to go.
petterd is interesting. would be nice to see him play on and rediscover form but would be a risk.
and yes it looks as though we may lose maloney

Obviously there are a few players on our list that still have trade value. however there are a number of players that cannot go forward. Yes I agree it is essential to have players that have played 100+ games but there is definitely a question that needs to be asked when considering their future out our club. we have good picks that may also be used to trade for some middle aged players.
In saying that, with a few really high picks, we need to make space on our list.

What are your thoughts??

Delist/Trade
Bate
Davey
Fitzpatrick
Green (RETIRED)
Jurrah (PENDING)
J.MacDonald
Morton

K.Lawrence (rookie)

Promote
Nicholson
Couch
Magner

Draft Picks
3,4,13,31,49#

your probably right about couch.
bate has to go.
petterd is interesting. would be nice to see him play on and rediscover form but would be a risk.
and yes it looks as though we may lose maloney

Morton will probably hold some trade value (somewhere in the 3rd-4th round), Davey maybe similar and the rest are done once cut from Melbourne.

Where is Sylvia in all this ? Is his heart at Melb ? is he tradeable ? What would Melb want for him ?

ROOKIES
Nicholson - Keep, Promote
Couch - Keep, 2nd year rookie (can't promote him on the back of 2-5 senior games)
Evans - Keep, 3rd year rookie (or gone, hope he gets 3rd)
Magner - Keep, Might get another rookie year with the promise of being the first promoted in 2013?
Sheahan - Not sure, but as a project player, will likely get a 2nd year
Williams - Same as above
Lawrence - Already gone

Leaves us with 2 or 3 rookie spots. That's enough... we'll be loading up in the national draft so i doubt many rookies will be taken.

I think the veterans list is changing next year... anyone know how that works? Veterans are no longer 'outside' the list, right? Before we could've moved Jamar there but not anymore...

Bennell hasn't been mentioned but as cruel as it sounds, i think he's gone. Had plenty of chances this year, never delivered, and now has done his knee... feel sorry for the kid but there's not much room for sympathy in AFL anymore.

Just thought i'd mention Davey and Morton are contracted until the end of 2013. I've never seen a source (probably because he is currently a 'minor' player) but it's seems to be common knowledge that Fitzpatrick is signed for 2013 also.

We aren't in a financial position to be paying players to not play for us (delisting under contract), so they'll either be traded or remain.

Excuse the interruption, but we have a rumour that a high profile Melbourne player has asked to be traded to Carlton.

Most likely amount to very little but have you any light to shed on this rumour?
Will we get your first round draft pick in return, and in a few years down the track will they bring up allegations of unsavoury behaviour at Melbourne?
Kidding.
The most likely to want out would be Moloney. He has dropped off a lot this year and Neeld doesn't seem to rate him, or he doesn't rate Neeld, so may be on the way out. He's an unrestricted FA too I think and out of contract, so could leave easily.
It's a bit hard to work out, who on Melbourne's list is really 'high profile'?

You have plenty of high profile players and good players at that.

who? jones?

could only think of sylvia and moloney, but its just randoms on bigfooty handing out rumours and 99.999999% of the time they are untrue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have plenty of high profile players and good players at that. Just need to bridge the gap of experience and youth.

The inference was that it was a young contracted player.
As I said, it probably amounts to nothing but it's usually about this time of year when we start hearing of players to be unhappy.
I'm sorry but I'm actually in tears, it's just one of those days.

O.K. O.K.
I guess I have a higher regard for some of your players than you do.

I'd be happy to have any one of Blease, Watts, Tapscott, Trengove, McKenzie, Grimes etc. if they so wanted a trade out of Melbourne.
That Howe guy isn't too bad either.

Howe just signed, no way he'd then ask for a trade.

Tren and Grimes are captains, no way they'd ask for a trade

Blease just started contract negotiations, Watts isn't going anywhere, McKenzie is an upgraded rookie, he'll repay the faith, Tappy was wrapt to get drafted with Tren (best mates) so I don't think he'd be in a hurry to leave

It's probably unsubstantiated nothings at this stage, don't get too excited

You have plenty of high profile players and good players at that. Just need to bridge the gap of experience and youth.

The inference was that it was a young contracted player.
As I said, it probably amounts to nothing but it's usually about this time of year when we start hearing of players to be unhappy.

Only high profile players I can think of: Clark (signed contract last year) Howe (just signed contract) Jones (just signed contract) Watts (sincerely doubt he's going anywhere, think he signed a contract last year)

Guys why do u think we have put contract talks with Rivers to bed until October.. has been one of our best performers for the past 2 years, and has suffered a bit in the second half of the year due to our lack of a forward.. was in great touch early on and at half way will be a shoe in to be in the top 3 of the b&f for mine..
do you think that he has asked to move? I'll be shattered if he goes because he's a very valuable player for us and we really need to keep some experience around..

ROOKIES
Nicholson - Keep, Promote
Couch - Keep, 2nd year rookie (can't promote him on the back of 2-5 senior games)
Evans - Keep, 3rd year rookie (or gone, hope he gets 3rd)
Magner - Keep, Might get another rookie year with the promise of being the first promoted in 2013?
Sheahan - Not sure, but as a project player, will likely get a 2nd year
Williams - Same as above
Lawrence - Already gone

Agree with the above, except I think Evans will get the boot. No point upgrading Magner and Couch when at least one of them will be available to play R1 next year anyway via the usual pre-season promotion, and the next won't be far behind when something goes wrong.

Especially need to keep spots open on the senior list if we're going to be signing free agents and using at least our draft pick in the 40's/50's.

Guys why do u think we have put contract talks with Rivers to bed until October.. has been one of our best performers for the past 2 years, and has suffered a bit in the second half of the year due to our lack of a forward.. was in great touch early on and at half way will be a shoe in to be in the top 3 of the b&f for mine..
do you think that he has asked to move? I'll be shattered if he goes because he's a very valuable player for us and we really need to keep some experience around..

My understanding is that Jared is weighing up his options of 1 club player vs success

Geez I hope Riv stays, he's been a great player for us over the journey and just seems like a good candidate for a one-club man. He'll be really important for us next year I reckon, when hopefully we start seeing our game-plan come together a bit more and maybe a chance for a few more wins.

We have a surplus of tall defenders but hopefully Riv has embraced being played up forward a bit more and is happy to be a bit of a swing-man. Could be really damaging once the rest of our team starts to lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back