Official Club Stuff OFFICIAL : 2015 Membership Tally - 41,418 #Get Real - New Record

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else find it weird that the club have only just launched their membership campaign, after 34k have already signed up? It all seems a little lackluster this year. Nothing compared to the 2014 campaign.

And back over 1,000 up on last year after being close to 50 up only a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Does anyone else find it weird that the club have only just launched their membership campaign, after 34k have already signed up? It all seems a little lackluster this year. Nothing compared to the 2014 campaign.
I think it's good, it means we get to 34k with little effort and expenditure, this is the new base. Then they can target their spending to new members and people who haven't renewed yet. 45k should be the goal this year and 50k next year on the back of a premiership!

It links up with this: http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-03-30/shinboner-spirit-is-back

The club is going through a rebranding of sorts, re-identifying itself with the Shinboners of old. I guess the membership drive had to wait for the re-identification to occur first.
Again very wordy.... But it's good, actually really good! It's a badge of honour I think, we may have been low in numbers in the past, but we have always been loud!

Doing a bit of maths (hopefully a bit better than BigEasy) and here's some interesting statistics:

- From 2013 to 2014 we added:
- 1226 new kids members
- 573 new concession members
- 2411 new adult members​

- Last year we had 9224 junior members, more than: Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne, Port, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs. Collingwood only beat us by 153 junior members, Richmond 1k more kids and Hawks 10k more)

- We have more junior members than WB and STK combined

- 25.3% of all our memberships are kids, this the 4th highest percentage in the comp (Hawthorn has 29.7% kids, GC 31.2% kids and GWS 40.5% kids)

- If you discount Hawthorn (who I feel like they do something funny with their non-access memberships, they've only got 120 of them) we have the least non-access memberships at 1448. For comparison's sake, Essendon have 15222 non-access members, the Bulldogs have 5850. While in many ways this is a good thing its also a bad thing because with less NA members it makes our total look smaller; a big total is good for perception which helps snowball more members. Its also $$$ that we're missing. We want to get people to the footy but the fact is there are armchair footy fans or fans that can't get to games for any number of reasons. We need to connect with them better.

- Access members we're flying and getting near the big boys:
Essendon - 45,426
Carlton - 43,710
Geelong - 40,931
North - 37,912
Daylight
Melbourne - 32,825
St Kilda - 28,300
WB - 26,188​

Things to remember:
- We have close to 4k Tasmania fans (a market in which we should be aiming to increase by a couple of thousand this year I reckon)
- We have an extremely poor amount of reserve seating members, this needs to be one of our major focuses. Port only have a few thousand more access members than us, the difference is they're almost all 11 game reserve seat season ticket holders.
- I'd roughly estimate 30k - 34k access members in Vic (almost 4k in tas and and we've got lots of interstaters). This is good but they're not exactly turning up at our games are they.

Doing a bit of maths (hopefully a bit better than BigEasy) and here's some interesting statistics:

- From 2013 to 2014 we added:
- 1226 new kids members
- 573 new concession members
- 2411 new adult members​

- Last year we had 9224 junior members, more than: Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne, Port, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs. Collingwood only beat us by 153 junior members, Richmond 1k more kids and Hawks 10k more)

- We have more junior members than WB and STK combined

- 25.3% of all our memberships are kids, this the 4th highest percentage in the comp (Hawthorn has 29.7% kids, GC 31.2% kids and GWS 40.5% kids)

- If you discount Hawthorn (who I feel like they do something funny with their non-access memberships, they've only got 120 of them) we have the least non-access memberships at 1448. For comparison's sake, Essendon have 15222 non-access members, the Bulldogs have 5850. While in many ways this is a good thing its also a bad thing because with less NA members it makes our total look smaller; a big total is good for perception which helps snowball more members. Its also $$$ that we're missing. We want to get people to the footy but the fact is there are armchair footy fans or fans that can't get to games for any number of reasons. We need to connect with them better.

- Access members we're flying and getting near the big boys:
Essendon - 45,426
Carlton - 43,710
Geelong - 40,931
North - 37,912
Daylight
Melbourne - 32,825
St Kilda - 28,300
WB - 26,188​

Things to remember:
- We have close to 4k Tasmania fans (a market in which we should be aiming to increase by a couple of thousand this year I reckon)
- We have an extremely poor amount of reserve seating members, this needs to be one of our major focuses. Port only have a few thousand more access members than us, the difference is they're almost all 11 game reserve seat season ticket holders.
- I'd roughly estimate 30k - 34k access members in Vic (almost 4k in tas and and we've got lots of interstaters). This is good but they're not exactly turning up at our games are they.

You forgot to carry the 0

I am back for my 13th straight year as a member and can I just say: "#GetReal" is bloody terrible. Every time we lose other flogs will be like "LUL GET REALZ"

post-46055-socceroo-fan-in-kangaroo-hat-s-0l5m.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

34,925 (+561) +1,390 on last year.

Last edited:
I think it's good, it means we get to 34k with little effort and expenditure, this is the new base. Then they can target their spending to new members and people who haven't renewed yet. 45k should be the goal this year and 50k next year on the back of a premiership!

I have a couple of questions. (not only for you Philly)

1. Do you think 45k is for this season and 50k for next season are realistic targets?
2. In 2007 we had 22,300 members, in 2011 we had 30,300 members. Do we know if the club has done any research into the huge rise in our memberships and whether it is sustainable into the future?

1. Do you think 45k is for this season and 50k for next season are realistic targets?
2. In 2007 we had 22,300 members, in 2011 we had 30,300 members. Do we know if the club has done any research into the huge rise in our memberships and whether it is sustainable into the future?
Yeah I think it's realistic.... Assuming the on field success is where it should be. We are only 10k short of 45k now and we still haven't kicked a ball in anger. If we we can win round 1 and 2 then the Saturday night game at Etihad should be huge for our membership sales. It would be great if we had all these people signed up without having to win, but that's just the way it is.
As for sustainability.... Keep winning, and they will keep signing up... At least until they are so entrenched that it is habitual.

45K this year is a bit high I reckon. Maybe, but 43K is more likely IMO. Much depends on how we start the year. If we get some hype about us then 43.5 – 44K will be possible. FWIW we have budgeted for 42.5K.

As for 2016 if we perform really well this year, make another prelim or granny, then I would say 45 – 47K is more realistic than 50K. Still, those are awesome targets.

I would certainly think that the club has done research into the membership rise over that period, but don’t know any details whatsoever. I would assume that once it became clear that it was sign up or lose the club, many supporters who had dropped off became members again, and a number of those that were never members got on board.

I think surveys show that we have one of the lowest overall supporter bases nationwide and one of the most disparate geographically. Our supporter to member ratio is significantly higher than many others so any further significant increase will be based upon attracting new supporters and signing up new members from that group. It will also come from Tasmania. Whilst not necessarily long term Roos supporters there will likely be a group who will join because they can get access to quality AFL games down there.

Overall I am of the opinion that we will likely max out at around the 47-50K mark. Reaching that level and maintaining it will depend on the quality of product (football) and the ability of the club to sell the brand.

Yeah I think it's realistic.... Assuming the on field success is where it should be. We are only 10k short of 45k now and we still haven't kicked a ball in anger. If we we can win round 1 and 2 then the Saturday night game at Etihad should be huge for our membership sales. It would be great if we had all these people signed up without having to win, but that's just the way it is.

We have a pretty tough first couple of months, so if we can start 5-3 or perhaps 6-2, you think that would be enough to get an extra 2-3,000 members on board?

As for sustainability.... Keep winning, and they will keep signing up... At least until they are so entrenched that it is habitual.

Sounds too simplistic to me and perhaps too much like previous administrations who followed the "she'll be right" process to governing. If we go by this mantra then we will need to make the preliminary final, at least, every year from now until eternity to stay viable.

Sorry that may sound a little harsh and I didn't mean to be, especially to someone who was nice enough to answer my question.

Last edited:
I would certainly think that the club has done research into the membership rise over that period, but don’t know any details whatsoever. I would assume that once it became clear that it was sign up or lose the club, many supporters who had dropped off became members again, and a number of those that were never members got on board.

I think surveys show that we have one of the lowest overall supporter bases nationwide and one of the most disparate geographically. Our supporter to member ratio is significantly higher than many others so any further significant increase will be based upon attracting new supporters and signing up new members from that group. It will also come from Tasmania. Whilst not necessarily long term Roos supporters there will likely be a group who will join because they can get access to quality AFL games down there.

Overall I am of the opinion that we will likely max out at around the 47-50K mark. Reaching that level and maintaining it will depend on the quality of product (football) and the ability of the club to sell the brand.

It would be interesting to know where these new members have come from. Is this growth in anyway due to our successes in the 90's, the children of the Carey era are now adults and joining up, some may have kids of their own which may account for the some of the junior memberships. How much have the events of late 2007 played in people joining up and remaining members? Is the Huddle playing a part in the growth of our membership?

I hope the NMFC Administration have done a lot of research into this because these numbers suggest to me, that if sustainable, the club has the ability and support to rise above the "small" or "battlers" or "strugglers" tags that has dogged the club for generations and can build a profitable future in Melbourne.

Perhaps it's time to be optimistic instead of pessimistic about the future of the NMFC.

We have a pretty tough first couple of months, so if we can start 5-3 or perhaps 6-2, you think that would be enough to get an extra 2-3,000 members on board?

Sounds too simplistic to me and perhaps too much like previous administrations who followed the "she'll be right" process to governing. If we go by this mantra then we will need to make the preliminary final, at least, every year from now until eternity to stay viable.

Sorry that may sound a little harsh and I didn't mean to be, especially to someone who was nice enough to answer my question.
Wasn't harsh at all mate, and you are probably right. What I do know is that when clubs win, their membership goes up and their attendance figures go up. It might be simplistic, and as you said "she'll be right" thinking.... But at the end of the day, a membership is a product that we the consumer purchase. We purchase it because we see it as a value proposition, I mean we love the club... But if we felt we were getting ripped off, or that we weren't valued as members, then we probably wouldn't make the purchase again. The more we win (preferably premierships) the more kids who are currently in the fence will support us. It is a combination of things though, right now we have a great media team that present the club better than ever, we play exciting football, we are winning more than we lose. Converting as many members as we can, and I don't think a ceiling should be put in place, is what our club strives for every day, and they are getting better at doing it every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back