Chelsea FC - Pride of London

Remove this Banner Ad

Mikel's happy to sit on the bench though and can do a job when asked. Not sure Witsel would be happy doing that.
Depends if money talks. I would've thought the same about Begovic but it seems he's happy to take the money and sit on the bench.

Does anyone else think Stones is a pointless signing and an overpriced one at that? If Stones comes in it will stall Zouma's development and at the moment he is still very raw so I can't see him walking into our side and replacing Cahill, who in my opinion is vastly underrated by Chelsea supporters.

Does anyone else think Stones is a pointless signing and an overpriced one at that? If Stones comes in it will stall Zouma's development and at the moment he is still very raw so I can't see him walking into our side and replacing Cahill, who in my opinion is vastly underrated by Chelsea supporters.
Nah quality centre backs don't grow on trees and if he is with us for 10 years then it will end up an absoulute bargain. We only have 3 centre-backs atm so if any get injured or are out of form we need another quality back-up. Which is also why I think both Zouma and Stones would get plenty of game time.

Nah quality centre backs don't grow on trees and if he is with us for 10 years then it will end up an absoulute bargain. We only have 3 centre-backs atm so if any get injured or are out of form we need another quality back-up. Which is also why I think both Zouma and Stones would get plenty of game time.
I'd say we have four (including Ivan) and we are more in need of a LB than a CB now than Luis is gone. If we sign a LB our defence:

RB: Ivanovic, Azpilicueta
CB: Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, Zouma
LB: Azpilicueta, new LB

I understand what you're saying, we need a CB to eventually replace Terry and someone to partner Zouma for the next ten years, but how often does Jose play two inexperienced CBs together? I can't see him sticking Zouma and Stones in once Terry leaves and if he plays Cahill and Stones then Zouma misses out on minutes again until Cahill moves on or declines. The addition of Stones will hinder Zouma's development too much.

I'd say we have four (including Ivan) and we are more in need of a LB than a CB now than Luis is gone. If we sign a LB our defence:

RB: Ivanovic, Azpilicueta
CB: Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, Zouma
LB: Azpilicueta, new LB

I understand what you're saying, we need a CB to eventually replace Terry and someone to partner Zouma for the next ten years, but how often does Jose play two inexperienced CBs together? I can't see him sticking Zouma and Stones in once Terry leaves and if he plays Cahill and Stones then Zouma misses out on minutes again until Cahill moves on or declines. The addition of Stones will hinder Zouma's development too much.
José has also tried Zouma in a DM role and given that we still haven't signed a decent backup in that position he will be used again of Matic is out. I think Stones would be a fine addition and can see plenty of opportunities for both. Also it's a key area we wouldn't have to worry about for a number of years.

José has also tried Zouma in a DM role and given that we still haven't signed a decent backup in that position he will be used again of Matic is out. I think Stones would be a fine addition and can see plenty of opportunities for both. Also it's a key area we wouldn't have to worry about for a number of years.
If we're playing Zouma as a DM what's the point of even having Mikel on our books?

If we're playing Zouma as a DM what's the point of even having Mikel on our books?
I've been asking the same thing for years but he is one of Mou's favourites and seems happy being a bit part player for us.

So I only caught the shoot out and watched a few highlights later on of our match against PSG.

Must say I was quite nervous when Falcao stepped up to take the first pen. But the way he cooly ripped it into the bottom corner was good to see, and can only do wonders for his confidence. Then after seeing the highlights it looks like he played well! If he does start firing for us it will be amazing.

I too was a bit nervous when he stepped up to the plate. But the fact that he volunteered to step up first was great.

I really do believe and have the upmost confidence he can do well this season.

First preseason game I have seen...

Thought we dominated the first half and probably should've been two goals up. Hazard's goal was sensational, danced around four and finished well. Costa was looking dangerous but sprayed one he would usually bury.

The second half we were awful and our guns came off for a spell. Reports from the commentary are that Costa tweaked his hamstring so I imagine will be seeing a lot of Falcao and Remy this season.

Pedro has always impressed me and continued to do so today. Quick, energetic, pin point accuracy, direct running and double footed. If Man United buy this guy he will be their best signing. He's class.

I thought Moses looked lively and Falcao looked like he had a point to prove. Everyone else was awful - special mentions to Willian, Ramires, Remy and Mikel.

Ramires missed one of the easiest opportunities of the game and couldn't hit the side of a barn. Short passes are a major concern for him.

Mikel was his ordinary self, slow and only passed backwards, killing all momentum.

Didn't think we could snatch the points being down 1 - 2 in the 86th minute but enter Gary Cahill with a nice header and a rookie move by their goal keeper to come out so far.

The game went to penalties and we didn't miss one. Falcao, Remy, Ramires and Moses all looked comfortable. Courtois made a nice Pique save to end the roller-coaster day on a high.

I would like to see us start with Falcao and Costa up front. They could be deadly. I'm also looking forward to Moses this season. He's quick and powerful and made a few nice crosses. I would already have him ahead of Cuadrado in the pecking order.

Absolute blinder from Hazard!

If you look at where he received the ball from Zouma, to be able to get past 4 defenders and score from there is unbelievable. Straight up talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think Mourinho is trying to turn Oscar into Lampard? I think he's going to play a 4-3-3 more often this season and that extra CM we've been crying out for is going to be Oscar.

It seems he's experimenting with Oscar playing a more deeper role and he has really flourished there against PSG and Barcelona.

I could be wrong, but it would definitely explain why Mourinho is so stubborn when it comes to buying another CM, and why he brought in two attacking midfielders when we only really needed one.

It would allow Oscar to rest more against weaker opposition as Willian, Cuadrado and even Hazard can play in the CAM position with Matic and Fabregas in the pivot.

Whatever happens, I hope Oscar plays a big role in our side next season because when he is on we are a much better side.

Our line up against Arsenal:

------------Courtois

--Ivan---Terry---Cahill---Azpi

------Matic--------Fabregas

-------------Oscar

--Moses---------------Hazard

-------------Falcao

Absolutely love the irony of an Arsenal fan throwing a ball or something at Jose as he went down the tunnel, and Jose firing his losers medal back at them :D

First game of the season let's not get too reactionary. Swansea are a good side and they played well. Nothing wrong a point given the circumstances and I thought our performance was pretty good anyway. Defense just needed to tighten up, but that will happen over time as the season progresses. We know how good our back 4/5 have been over the last 12-18 months. I'm sure this is more a one off as opposed to a trend setter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back