Official - Crows v Cats abandoned, points split, rest to go ahead, all brownlow votes will count

What would be your preference on the possible options available to the clubs, players and league

• Play as per schedule, the show must go on

Votes: 118 21.2%
  • Adelaide v Geelong abandoned and called draw

Votes: 242 43.5%
  • Adelaide v Geelong rescheduled

Votes: 107 19.2%
  • Matches played by no result record for round

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Rd 14 rescheduled completely

Votes: 39 7.0%
  • other

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Adelaide forfeit

Votes: 22 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great PR move though - coach gets murdered on the friday before the match - you have to play or forfeit because otherwise it would taint the integrity of the competition.

Doesn't distort it any more than some times having to play Hawthorn and Fremantle twice and others getting to play Carlton or Brisbane twice

By splitting the points more then necessary collateral damage has been done to the competition (especially when the integrity of the competition should be held above all)

You'd think asking the Adelaide players to either play or forfeit would damage the integrity of the competition even more.

Show some sensitivity.

Using the same argument, you could say under the circumstances Adelaide should be unconcerned with forfeiting the match.
Which they would have had to do. Anyway. I'll move on I'm in the minority.

Using the same argument, you could say under the circumstances Adelaide should be unconcerned with forfeiting the match.

No it isn't. It's called Geelong being decent human beings and saying that we empathise with your situation and we'll agree to split the points so that you can focus on the grieving process. I'm sure Adelaide wouldn't care at forfeiting 4 points but as so many have pointed out above you, Geelong and all other clubs agreed to this because they realise that a game of footy is way, way, WAY down the list of what's important in life.

You'd think asking the Adelaide players to either play or forfeit would damage the integrity of the competition even more.

Show some sensitivity.

They are the competition rules.

We all understand it's tragic circumstances. We all can show sympathy and some can show empathy. But the integrity of the competition is damaged if the game isn't played. Forfeit and the integrity is damaged as Geelong and Adelaide players play less games thus effecting the rest of the competition. Split the points and that is compounded.
The least damage done to the competition is for them to have made up the game later in the season

we had a club doctor suffer a heart attack on the field before a match, ironically vs the crows. Our boys toughed it out though

We all understand it's tragic circumstances. We all can show sympathy and some can show empathy. But the integrity of the competition is damaged if the game isn't played. Forfeit and the integrity is damaged as Geelong and Adelaide players play less games thus effecting the rest of the competition. Split the points and that is compounded.
The least damage done to the competition is for them to have made up the game later in the season

To re-iterate - do you think the AFL forcing Adelaide to play or forfeit would have damaged the integrity of the competition to a lesser degree?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course the Cats agreed to that. They'd be extremely bad guys to not agree to that. The AFL shouldn't have given them the choice though. Either the Crows play as the fixture says or they forfeit. Considering the circumstances, and considering the whole competition the only other alternative was to reschedule the match. Anything else, eg splitting the points, is wrong
It isn't, as the article author says, the least compromised way. It's compromised the ladder.
You are not a very nice person.

The Brownlow votes decision is insane. It corrupts the Brownlow (even more), is disrespectful for Cats and Crows players, and is generally the worst possible decision by the AFL.

An opinion is never nonsense and I suggest you calm down a bit

Sometimes a different tack is ok ....each to their own

Ever heard of the term agree to disagree ....if your like me and been married for 13 years it's could turn of phrase to learn .....

Well agree to disagree thanks

In my opinion, your opinion is nonsense. You can't award a win to both sides. It lacks sense. Devoid of sense. Nonsense.

I'm quite calm, thanks for your concern though

Yep and there are always exceptions to the rules, and considerations that mean the rules need to be flexible. This situation is the right one for applying the rules as the clubs see fit, and the correct decision was reached.
If Geelong, for instance. miss the finals because of this, so be it, some things matter more.

Yep and there are always exceptions to the rules, and considerations that mean the rules need to be flexible. This situation is the right one for applying the rules as the clubs see fit, and the correct decision was reached.
If Geelong, for instance. miss the finals because of this, so be it, some things matter more.

I'd be a little peeved if Hawthorn missed the finals because of this.

What if you missed the GF because of this?

I'd be a little peeved if Hawthorn missed the finals because of this.

What if you missed the GF because of this?
I'd be quite ok with Hawks missing the finals because of this.;) But on a more serious note, you are exaggerating the impact of the solution reached.
You won't. We won't.

I'd be quite ok with Hawks missing the finals because of this.;) But on a more serious note, you are exaggerating the impact of the solution reached.
You won't. We won't.

But it effects the integrity of the completion.

I'm of the opinion that the integrity must be held above all, not just assign a matrix (thanks Essendon) or sliding scale on the premiership contenders

After a night's rest, I feel even more strongly that the AFL made the wrong decision here.

But it effects the integrity of the completion.

I'm of the opinion that the integrity must be held above all, not just assign a matrix (thanks Essendon) or sliding scale on the premiership contenders
Ah well happy to disagree. Think it actually enhances the integrity of the comp. Common sense was applied, all parties behaved with decency, the outcome will not impact on anyone else to any great degree. Wins all around. Let it go.

Back