Official Club Stuff Official Hawthorn Club Account on Big Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said this once and I'll say it again. Even more disturbing was the way Ray tried to denigrate the AFL and appease Sammy by saying, "We've got this r**** earpiece which goes off at the same time the siren goes."

He should have been suspended and/ or fined for those remarks. He may be right, but it is slandering the AFL. Incompetence from the umpire and the AFL...obviously getting swept under the carpet.
I'm willing to give Ray the benefit of the doubt that he was using "*ed" in its other legitimate meaning which has to do timing delays which in the context of the situation is valid. He referred to the chime as being *ed and it's possible that chime was meant to play alongside or immediately after the ground siren blows - hence the chime is genuinely *ed.

Admittedly it is an odd choice of adjective when "delayed" would've been just as easy to use and doesn't come with the stigma of "*ed". But Ray is a bit of an odd cat so maybe that's just his vocabulary.

I'm willing to give Ray the benefit of the doubt that he was using "******ed" in its other legitimate meaning which has to do timing delays which in the context of the situation is valid. He referred to the chime as being ******ed and it's possible that chime was meant to play alongside or immediately after the ground siren blows - hence the chime is genuinely ******ed.

Admittedly it is an odd choice of adjective when "delayed" would've been just as easy to use and doesn't come with the stigma of "******ed". But Ray is a bit of an odd cat so maybe that's just his vocabulary.
thats how i see it too

I'm willing to give Ray the benefit of the doubt that he was using "******ed" in its other legitimate meaning which has to do timing delays which in the context of the situation is valid. He referred to the chime as being ******ed and it's possible that chime was meant to play alongside or immediately after the ground siren blows - hence the chime is genuinely ******ed.

Admittedly it is an odd choice of adjective when "delayed" would've been just as easy to use and doesn't come with the stigma of "******ed". But Ray is a bit of an odd cat so maybe that's just his vocabulary.

This is not about his choice of vocabulary - which may be politically incorrect to some. It's about the integrity of the game. In effect, he's saying that the AFL is incompetent. This is probably true, but by making such a statement he is drawing attention to it. As such, the AFL should punish him by at least suspending him or fining him. His job is to umpire, not to cover his ass by saying his employers have devised an incompetent system. It's a pity Sammy didn't pursue the matter with him further or, if he'd been aware, call to attention the fact that Breust had the ball at the time of the stuff-up. If he were representing a typical company, he'd probably get sacked for publicly bagging the systems his employer has in place. But of course the AFL isn't a typical company, and this incident will get brushed aside.

The umpires engage in way too much on-field commentary - it's embarrassing. What other sport has the umpires miked up and explaining their every decision? Sometimes the reasons they give for their decisions sound absolutely absurd. It exposes the mediocre aspects of the game, and the shabby rules.

On the issue of "*ed" to mean "delayed", I think it's drawing a long bow. He said something like, "We've got this *ed system..."

Sounds like he's bagging it to me.

This is not about his choice of vocabulary - which may be politically incorrect to some. It's about the integrity of the game. In effect, he's saying that the AFL is incompetent. This is probably true, but by making such a statement he is drawing attention to it. As such, the AFL should punish him by at least suspending him or fining him. His job is to umpire, not to cover his ass by saying his employers have devised an incompetent system. It's a pity Sammy didn't pursue the matter with him further or, if he'd been aware, call to attention the fact that Breust had the ball at the time of the stuff-up. If he were representing a typical company, he'd probably get sacked for publicly bagging the systems his employer has in place. But of course the AFL isn't a typical company, and this incident will get brushed aside.

The umpires engage in way too much on-field commentary - it's embarrassing. What other sport has the umpires miked up and explaining their every decision? Sometimes the reasons they give for their decisions sound absolutely absurd. It exposes the mediocre aspects of the game, and the shabby rules.
If the AFL suspend him for those comments how much worse does it look for them then? It draws unnecessary attention to the issue because in however many weeks down the track when "Razor Ray makes his return" it brings back up the topic when they remind viewers why he was gone in the first place.

As for their siren system, it is amateurish. Especially that their solution to a siren not being heard over a loud crowd is just to make the siren even louder. Why not add obvious visual cues? They have those electronic advertising boards all around the boundary at the MCG and presumably most other grounds (haven't really looked for them). Why not have them light up with a solid bright blue light in unison with the ground siren? Have flashing emergency services type light setups behind the goals at every game that go off with the siren as well or instead. Benefits include it'll be easier to sync with goal line footage exactly when the siren has gone if there's a line ball decision on the siren; it doesn't matter how loud the crowd is; and light travels faster than sound anyway.

Last edited:
If the AFL suspend him for those comments how much worse does it look for them then? It draws unnecessary attention to the issue because in however many weeks down the track when "Razor Ray makes his return" it brings back up the topic when they remind viewers why he was gone in the first place.

As for their siren system, it is amateurish. Especially that they're solution to a siren not being heard over a loud crowd is just to make the siren even louder. Why not add obvious visual cues? They have those electronic advertising boards all around the boundary at the MCG and presumably most other grounds (haven't really looked for them). Why not have them light up with a solid bright blue light in unison with the ground siren? Have flashing emergency services type light setups behind the goals at every game that go off with the siren as well or instead. Benefits include it'll be easier to sync with goal line footage exactly when the siren has gone if there's a line ball decision on the siren; it doesn't matter how loud the crowd is; and light travels faster than sound anyway.

I agree completely with your second paragraph. The AFL could easily install such a system. It would leave no doubt as to when the siren has sounded.

As to your comments in the first paragraph, by not dealing with the issue leaves room for umpires to do the same in future matches. A bigger can of worms could be opened up by inaction. At the least, they should put in place new guidelines as to the umpires' on-field commentary. When the on-field mics were brought in I originally thought they were tacky, but now I can see them becoming a blight on the game. It's another one of those gimmicky things that have been brought into the game in the last ten years.

Here's me hoping someone at the club reads this

Please thank the guys for their patience with the large gathering at Patterson's (Duck/Boo Pond) Stadium today. Some many young Hawk kids walked away with smiles on their faces thanks to the moments the boys shared with them.

As to your comments in the first paragraph, by not dealing with the issue leaves room for umpires to do the same in future matches. A bigger can of worms could be opened up by inaction. At the least, they should put in place new guidelines as to the umpires' on-field commentary. When the on-field mics were brought in I originally thought they were tacky, but now I can see them becoming a blight on the game. It's another one of those gimmicky things that have been brought into the game in the last ten years.
I respectfully disagree. It's happened the once and was quite clearly a genuine technical issue. Reacting to things that happen so very rarely results in stupid rule changes like sliding into the legs rule.
As for the umpire mics, I like them. It's good to hear explanations for decisions whether you agree with them or not. And if you don't like them you can always hit 'mute' and play a radio call of the game or even just go to the game itself.

Here's me hoping someone at the club reads this

Please thank the guys for their patience with the large gathering at Patterson's (Duck/Boo Pond) Stadium today. Some many young Hawk kids walked away with smiles on their faces thanks to the moments the boys shared with them.

Thanks for your feedback 11sjw.

We'll pass your comments onto the Football Department

Would it be possible for the club to post numbers for the amount of Victorian members that actually travel to Perth for Freo or WCE games.

Over the years I've missed several ballots to get to games here .

I believe we have very big membership numbers here and also a very big supporter base as well?

My thoughts are that balloting should only happen for Victorian or other country members (non WA) because of the unfairness to WA people not getting the chance even though they are paid up members. ( I understand the numbers issue set up, at Patersons and complained to Mr Kennett several years ago on more than one occasion).

I've heard all the excuses as to why ballots are lost by high member numbers in WA. Simply because a ballot is held.

Would it not be fairer to release to Hawthorn member tickets for Perth first, and what ever the balance from the Subiaco oval, Hawthorn allowance... is balloted outside WA, if they are sold out so be it.
If people from Melbourne or Tassie or where ever wanted to come they could buy football specials for interstate as we need to do here, even though we get 5 games in Melbourne in our membership.

I find this grossly unfair to real supporters and members who live in WA, and miss out , I have, I think missed 3 perhaps 4 ballots, and some years the Hawks don't come over. Not everyone can flip across to Melbourne for Hawk games .

Someone needs to take up the issue now , it will be gone in four or five years with the Burswood Stadium. Can we get the Victorian numbers please?

I respectfully disagree. It's happened the once and was quite clearly a genuine technical issue. Reacting to things that happen so very rarely results in stupid rule changes like sliding into the legs rule.
As for the umpire mics, I like them. It's good to hear explanations for decisions whether you agree with them or not. And if you don't like them you can always hit 'mute' and play a radio call of the game or even just go to the game itself.
The umpire mic's should be banned, they are without question a blight on the game. Goldspink several years ago showed the TV public what a provocative and unprofessional individual he was, and created a very nasty situation by baiting Hawthorn players, who would have known TV audiences could hear. Whether it actually inflamed the situation is debatable of course , but it was outrageous and Goldspink was a prima donna , good umpire or bad umpire , he was disgraceful.

The biggest problem these days for umpires is the rules committee. We actually now see game changes and even scores resulting from missed or frivolous frees, or misinterpretations , many many times more these last 3 to 4 years than before even though it has happened over the years its worse now than ever.

I spoke about this years ago and now grey rules have been losing situations for clubs.
Look at Mitchells goal last night , over the goal line before touched , very bad , I would hate to be an umpire these days.

The day will come when an unsuspecting umpire interprets a decision in the split second when he has more than one interpretation to work with in his head, (it should be only one, black and white) and calls something that loses a grand final, this is coming and it will further ruin the way we look at our game.
Rules committee over haul over due and simplicity needed yesterday!!!!! AFL take notice.

Would it be possible for the club to post numbers for the amount of Victorian members that actually travel to Perth for Freo or WCE games.

I believe we have very big membership numbers here and also a very big supporter base as well?

My thoughts are that balloting should only happen for Victorian or other country members (non WA) because of the unfairness to WA people not getting the chance even though they are paid up members. ( I understand the numbers issue set up, at Patersons and complained to Mr Kennett several years ago on more than one occasion).

I've heard all the excuses as to why ballots are lost by high member numbers in WA. Simply because a ballot is held.

Would it not be fairer to release to Hawthorn member tickets for Perth first, and what ever the balance from the Subiaco oval, Hawthorn allowance... is balloted outside WA, if they are sold out so be it.
If people from Melbourne or Tassie or where ever wanted to come they could buy football specials for interstate as we need to do here, even though we get 5 games in Melbourne in our membership.

I find this grossly unfair to real supporters and members who live in WA, and miss out , I have, I think missed 3 perhaps 4 ballots, and some years the Hawks don't come over. Not everyone can flip across to Melbourne for Hawk games .

Someone needs to take up the issue now , it will be gone in four or five years with the Burswood Stadium. Can we get the Victorian numbers please?
If you are a Hawks member living in WA and cannot get entry to a Hawks game at Pattersons stadium then that is an absolute joke, and something needs to be done, otherwise we will lose interstate members
Get this sorted out ASAP for all our interstate members who love our club and spend their hard earned on a membership!

If you are a Hawks member living in WA and cannot get entry to a Hawks game at Pattersons stadium then that is an absolute joke, and something needs to be done, otherwise we will lose interstate members
Get this sorted out ASAP for all our interstate members who love our club and spend their hard earned on a membership!

It's not the clubs fault and nothing they can do. Every club visiting wa gets allocated a certain number of tickets for the game (I think around 300) and the reality of that is not everyone can go. Gold interstate members get first choice and then the rest of us plebs go into the pot luck pot - could there be a fairer way of allocating, who knows - the fact is people are always going to miss out. Personally, I've resigned myself to thinking of it as a donation to the club :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it isn't the best. My junior and I got in last year which was great but missed out this year meaning we had to stump up via Ticketmaster (lucky to get them, especially given some shits end up selling them at a minimum of 300% of the face value). I think the priority should go via residential address and also level of membership.

Mine is only a 5 game membership as it is the same price as Interstate Membership (non-gold as they're sold out) but the little one has the full deal with the Cyril upgrade. Given the criteria I set out above I may still miss out but at least you know where you stand.

It's not the clubs fault and nothing they can do. Every club visiting wa gets allocated a certain number of tickets for the game (I think around 300) and the reality of that is not everyone can go. Gold interstate members get first choice and then the rest of us plebs go into the pot luck pot - could there be a fairer way of allocating, who knows - the fact is people are always going to miss out. Personally, I've resigned myself to thinking of it as a donation to the club :cool:
300 tickets to a stadium that holds 40,000 odd is pretty low isn't it?
There has to be a better way

300 tickets to a stadium that holds 40,000 odd is pretty low isn't it?
There has to be a better way

When you have two clubs that have a membership wait list there is not much else you can do.
Members get priority

The umpire mic's should be banned, they are without question a blight on the game. Goldspink several years ago showed the TV public what a provocative and unprofessional individual he was, and created a very nasty situation by baiting Hawthorn players, who would have known TV audiences could hear. Whether it actually inflamed the situation is debatable of course , but it was outrageous and Goldspink was a prima donna , good umpire or bad umpire , he was disgraceful.

The biggest problem these days for umpires is the rules committee. We actually now see game changes and even scores resulting from missed or frivolous frees, or misinterpretations , many many times more these last 3 to 4 years than before even though it has happened over the years its worse now than ever.

I spoke about this years ago and now grey rules have been losing situations for clubs.
Look at Mitchells goal last night , over the goal line before touched , very bad , I would hate to be an umpire these days.

The day will come when an unsuspecting umpire interprets a decision in the split second when he has more than one interpretation to work with in his head, (it should be only one, black and white) and calls something that loses a grand final, this is coming and it will further ruin the way we look at our game.
Rules committee over haul over due and simplicity needed yesterday!!!!! AFL take notice.
So umpire mics should be banned so the general public don't find out umpires have been verbally baiting players?
I would've thought that would be a reason to have them. Keeps the umpires accountable and prevents them from doing stuff like that. If the AFL/umpires dept fail to act on it that's a seperate issue.

So umpire mics should be banned so the general public don't find out umpires have been verbally baiting players?
I would've thought that would be a reason to have them. Keeps the umpires accountable and prevents them from doing stuff like that. If the AFL/umpires dept fail to act on it that's a seperate issue.
For me it was more about watching and hearing and getting very angry. Now it was heard but nothing was done. I would rather I didn't hear it and maybe the players may have been able to converse with the umpires, I would suggest that some players may have enough intelligence and verbal competency to put an umpire in his place. Some do think they are the game they are not. Not for me or for you or for any body , they adjudicate with their mouths shut, as to smart remarks to players NO. They cause problems outside their realm of qualified interest , that is not was not Goldspinks job. Or any umpire.
The mic's made no difference to the utterances of that umpire ,someone should have shut him up.
Now we put up with explanations and unless you haven't listened, some explanations are simply "decisions been made carry on with the game." Even when its wrong. No the mic's need to be turned off.

For me it was more about watching and hearing and getting very angry. Now it was heard but nothing was done. I would rather I didn't hear it and maybe the players may have been able to converse with the umpires, I would suggest that some players may have enough intelligence and verbal competency to put an umpire in his place. Some do think they are the game they are not. Not for me or for you or for any body , they adjudicate with their mouths shut, as to smart remarks to players NO. They cause problems outside their realm of qualified interest , that is not was not Goldspinks job. Or any umpire.
The mic's made no difference to the utterances of that umpire ,someone should have shut him up.
Now we put up with explanations and unless you haven't listened, some explanations are simply "decisions been made carry on with the game." Even when its wrong. No the mic's need to be turned off.
Totally disagree with your 'head in the sand', 'fingers in your ears' reasoning for getting rid of umps mics. If hearing them upsets you then I suggest you just mute your telly.

Thanks for your question Joondalup.

The ballot for ticketing to any game in Perth is only made available to members who live in WA. Members who live in any other state are not eligible to apply for tickets in this allocation. The only exception to this is the cheersquad who receive a small allocation of tickets as they do for every home and away game.

We understand your frustration, the Club only receive 600 tickets from Fremantle or West Coast for any games at Patersons Stadium and with over 3000 members in 2014, it's difficult for us to be able to provide tickets to all members in WA, as much as we'd love to.

Lets hope the new stadium alleviates this pressure and we are allocated more tickets for future matches in Perth.

Thanks,
HFC Official

It's very hard to get a ticket to Subiaco for even hawks members in W.A., The 600 are snapped up and the last two times i've had to go on gumtree or go general admission.

Here's hoping the new Burswood stadium can fit in a few more hawks members.

It's very hard to get a ticket to Subiaco for even hawks members in W.A., The 600 are snapped up and the last two times i've had to go on gumtree or go general admission.

Here's hoping the new Burswood stadium can fit in a few more hawks members.
Yes mate , I've had a few misses. The thing that gets me is that the Hawks have told me that only WA Hawthorn people get the ballot . So I realise the club can't help much , and I do think that Mr Kennett actually was reasonably annoyed at the ticketing over here but could not do anything about it.

So it must be the WAFC I suppose decides on ticket numbers for interstate clubs.

I just think that big memberships like Hawthorns could be allowed 2000 or even 1500 they would sell for sure.

I have bought tickets before for my sons' when we missed the ballot but as a Hawthorn member I feel a bit cheated , we don't have to pay a huge amount for interstate membership I know , but really unless you get to Melbourne 5 times a year chances are you may not see Hawthorn for three or four years.

I had thought the WA authorities may have been a bit fairer , but I also have my suspicions about ticket numbers, for the "Fred and fanny Nerks" of the football following world, when perhaps some corporate freebees are being handed out all over the place too.

I wonder if the new stadium will make any difference, if, in 5 or 10 years Freo and the WCE have 50 to 60 thousand members . It could happen.

Thanks for your question Joondalup.

The ballot for ticketing to any game in Perth is only made available to members who live in WA. Members who live in any other state are not eligible to apply for tickets in this allocation. The only exception to this is the cheersquad who receive a small allocation of tickets as they do for every home and away game.

We understand your frustration, the Club only receive 600 tickets from Fremantle or West Coast for any games at Patersons Stadium and with over 3000 members in 2014, it's difficult for us to be able to provide tickets to all members in WA, as much as we'd love to.

Lets hope the new stadium alleviates this pressure and we are allocated more tickets for future matches in Perth.

Thanks,
HFC Official
Thanks mate.

Yes mate , I've had a few misses. The thing that gets me is that the Hawks have told me that only WA Hawthorn people get the ballot . So I realise the club can't help much , and I do think that Mr Kennett actually was reasonably annoyed at the ticketing over here but could not do anything about it.

So it must be the WAFC I suppose decides on ticket numbers for interstate clubs.

I just think that big memberships like Hawthorns could be allowed 2000 or even 1500 they would sell for sure.

I have bought tickets before for my sons' when we missed the ballot but as a Hawthorn member I feel a bit cheated , we don't have to pay a huge amount for interstate membership I know , but really unless you get to Melbourne 5 times a year chances are you may not see Hawthorn for three or four years.

I had thought the WA authorities may have been a bit fairer , but I also have my suspicions about ticket numbers, for the "Fred and fanny Nerks" of the football following world, when perhaps some corporate freebees are being handed out all over the place too.

I wonder if the new stadium will make any difference, if, in 5 or 10 years Freo and the WCE have 50 to 60 thousand members . It could happen.
yeah WAFC, It's honestly easy enough to get games to freo but WCE, they have a capped membership base unlike Freo currently have, if they are doing terribly people simply wont turn up, wont notify the Eagles so you end up with 4-5k of seats which cannot be re-sold, and you end up paying out the ass for them, I know i've managed to steal some of my mates eagles membership tickets for games in the past

the Burswood stadium will solve it, I imagine eagles membership will smack upto 55k, New rules about selling seats and more allocation for opposition teams+general ticketing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back