Remove this Banner Ad

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
Digby Ioane stated a few years ago he'd like to play in Melbourne...could do much worse than make him your first target. The most dangerous and explosive back Australia have.

Beau Robinson should be your first forward target, couldn't get a gig at any other Aussie teams somehow and is now in Europe.

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
Very possible, only signed a one year deal with us at the Tahs. Could well be attracted to being captain of his team. Could do a lot worse than going for someone like Nucifora as their first coach as well. Ended terms at the Brumbies personally on a bad note but he had a lot of success there.

Nucifora, Barnes, Ioane and Robinson are a good way to start. I believe Dunning only signed a one year deal at the Force in the hope of Melbourne getting in IIRC i heard in an interview. Josh Holmes is better than a backup halfback and wont want to be stuck on the bench at NSW. So there are plenty of players for them to go for.

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels
Getting Barnes would be awesome. It would make up for him leaving the Reds. :thumbsu: Ioane and Elsom both have ties to Melbourne and would be excellent players to create some publicity in the first year (2011). It is great to finally have our own team. Suck it the Western Force.

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
PP, are you switching teams? Are others switching from other Aussie teams to Melbourne?

Not going to criticise, i'm just wondering.

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
PP, are you switching teams? Are others switching from other Aussie teams to Melbourne?

I will support both the Reds and the Rebels. I am not sure what I will do when they play each other. I lived in Brisbane for about 10 years and it was watching the Reds that I really got into union and so I will always support them.

stuart27

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
MVFC, West Ham, Rebels

Will be switching from the Brumbies to the Rebels without a second thought. I've waited too long for this not to switch allegiances.

Will still have a soft spot for ACT as I really got into rugby and the S12 watching them in the days of Gregan and co., but when it's Rebels v Brumbies I'll be hoping we tear them a new one.

HodgesHeroes

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
won't this team just lower the overall standard of the australian teams?

I think next year's brumbies team on paper, may be the only serious contender we'll see in australia for a number of years

Sunday Red

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Brian Waldron has quit the Melbourne Storm to take on a role with the Rebels.

What are your thoughts on this?

He's conquering Australian football. One code at a time!

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

The Rebels last week said they wanted a Victorian for the role and Waldron thus perfectly fits that role. Has fought with the AFL and now against them with great success and know's how to market one of the Rugby codes (League) to the Melbourne market. Now he'll have knowledge of the Rebels 2 major rival codes and still be on good terms with the Storm which in the long run could be an advantage to both the Rebels and the Storm.

He proved in being the Storm CEO that not knowing much about Rugby League going into the role doesn't stop someone from having success in the role. Knowledge of the market and the rival code does and he'll have that in going into the Rebels CEO role with next to no understanding of Union.

Great pick up, with him getting crowds, memberships, sponsorship and Premierships up in his time with the Storm. Plus without the advantage of FTA TV which he also won't have at the Rebels.

kronic

Senior List
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rebels, MVFC
I'd really wish they'd rename the franchise to the Victorian Rebels not Melbourne, we need to harness the state vs state tribalism. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the naming also.

I co-run an unofficial supporter group, join if you haven't already: http://www.rebel-army.com

Should be an exciting fortnight, expect our coach and probably marquee player to be announced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kronic

Senior List
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rebels, MVFC
Victorian Rebels - No

Won't the poaching ban stop them announcing anything like that unless it's Gasnier or SBW?
Your reasoning for that? At the end of the day they might drop a prefix all together, would make everyone happy. I just want to get stuck into NSW when they visit next year.

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Excellent appointment. :thumbsu: Now if we can get McQueen it would be the perfect start.

bouncing back

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
two top class appointments. someone told me today there was another person of high reputation likely to be director of coaching or a similar role. anyone know who that might be?

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
Rod MacQueen or Michael Cheika as coach with a few of Rocky, Barnes, Ioane, Gasnier as their star players and this team could really start to take shape in quick time.

Just thinking off the top of my head about the other Aus teams and their squads some other players who are kinda surplus to requirements and thus could be targetted could be:

Beau Robinson (Italy)
Brendan McKibbin
Josh Holmes
Nic Henderson
Matt Dunning
Luke Holmes
Adam Freier
Dave Dennis

Philzsay

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2005
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay
Audio of a 7 - 8 minute interview this morning with Brian Waldron below.

http://sportsline.com.au/shows/index.cmd

Like most CEO's he manages to give little away.

Main point would be when asked if they would be scouring the world for players that his first focus is he wants as many high profile Australian players he can get; but more than welcome to accept the foreigners.

ERead

All Australian
Feb 28, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Of the Melbourne Rebel's first year supporters, I wonder what percentage will be brand new, and what percentage will be switchers from other teams?

I wonder how many switchers will be people that live in the other states?

I think it should be the Victorian Rebels too. I understand that Victoria is the most urbanised, centralised state in the country (true?) so calling them Melbourne covers more people than (say) calling the QLD Reds the Brisbane Reds. Up to 40% of the state lives outside of Brisbane in QLD.

Still, it is a bit inelegant. Like having QLD Roar in a competition of city-based teams (notwithstanding they have now changed to Brisbane Roar).

kronic

Senior List
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rebels, MVFC
Some have heard rumblings that the ARU might be looking to push name changes (as well separate entities) for the other franchises. I know the Waratahs are 50/50 on this, but are setup and ready to go.

I've emailed Harold regarding the name, but seems they've stuck with the 'Melbourne Rebels' name: http://www.melbournerebels.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back