Super Rugby Official Melbourne Rebels thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels
Yeah I read that on The Age's website, McQueen has had to shuffle half the team to replace him. Team was really starting to gel too.

Yep, will create some confusion with all the changes. Huxley to fb is a good move, but he was playing very well in the centres. If Delve is out that is also a big loss. Rebels are at $7, which is great value.

Dec 28, 2008
Eastern foot hills.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill.
Melbourne Rebels' coach to stand down

FRIDAY'S season-ending Super Rugby match against the Western Force almost certainly will be Rod Macqueen's last as head coach of the Melbourne Rebels, with current assistant Damien Hill set to take over the reins next season.

Macqueen, who coached Australia to the 1999 World Cup, came out of retirement to spend the past two years setting up the Rebels from scratch and then steering the fledgling club through its debut season in the expanded Super Rugby competition.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ch-to-stand-down/story-e6frg7o6-1226073969061

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Melbourne Rebels' coach to stand down

FRIDAY'S season-ending Super Rugby match against the Western Force almost certainly will be Rod Macqueen's last as head coach of the Melbourne Rebels, with current assistant Damien Hill set to take over the reins next season.

Macqueen, who coached Australia to the 1999 World Cup, came out of retirement to spend the past two years setting up the Rebels from scratch and then steering the fledgling club through its debut season in the expanded Super Rugby competition.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ch-to-stand-down/story-e6frg7o6-1226073969061

Melbourne are in goods hands. Damien Hill is a very good coach. :thumbsu:

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
I've got friends who have been coached by Hill at Uni (not full time, but for periods in colts) and they reckon he is as good as anyone they've had. Looking forward to seeing how he goes at Pro level, assuming he gets the job.

Dec 28, 2008
Eastern foot hills.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill.
I've got friends who have been coached by Hill at Uni (not full time, but for periods in colts) and they reckon he is as good as anyone they've had. Looking forward to seeing how he goes at Pro level, assuming he gets the job.

Hill boasts an outstanding coaching pedigree, having led Sydney University to five consecutive premierships before heading south to learn under the 1999 World Cup-winning mentor this season.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-rugby/Macqueen-pulls-the-pin/28220

Dec 28, 2008
Eastern foot hills.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill.
james O'Connor about-face to join Melbourne Rebels

WALLABIES wunderkind James O’Connor will play for the Melbourne Rebels next season after changing his mind about staying with the Western Force,

The 20-year-old gun utility back, who comes out of contract at the end of this Super Rugby season, told all prospective suitors - including the Rebels, Reds and Brumbies - last week that he would be staying in Perth for one more year.

But in the past 36 hours, he decided he did want to play in Melbourne after all

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/rugby-union/james-oconnor/story-e6frfgkf-1226075595453

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
Beale + JOC = fun times.

9. Nick Phipps
10. James O'Connor
11. Cooper Vuna
12. Stirling Mortlock
13. Mark Gerrard
14. Lachie Mitchell/Zippa Taumoepeau/Peter Betham
15. Kurtley Beale

JOC at 10 and with Gerrard in the centres, can afford to have KB at fullback jumping in and out whenever he wants.

TBH, I'm not as annoyed about losing KB anymore as now I can watch him and JOC wreak havoc together.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Beale + JOC = fun times.

9. Nick Phipps
10. James O'Connor
11. Cooper Vuna
12. Stirling Mortlock
13. Mark Gerrard
14. Lachie Mitchell/Zippa Taumoepeau/Peter Betham
15. Kurtley Beale

JOC at 10 and with Gerrard in the centres, can afford to have KB at fullback jumping in and out whenever he wants.

TBH, I'm not as annoyed about losing KB anymore as now I can watch him and JOC wreak havoc together.

One of the conditions of the KB move was that he play flyhalf, so wouldn't be surprised to see KB at 10, JOC at 12, Gerrard at 15. That backline matches the Reds backline imo.

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
Plus, I forgot earlier, Mitch Inman is moving from the Force to the Rebels next year too. Going to be coached by Hill who was in charge of him at Uni when they won so many premierships in a row. Potential to be come a really, really good player IMO. Really like him as a player. I'd slot him in to 13 straight away.

9. Phipps
10. Beale
11. Vuna
12. Mortlock
13. Inman
14. Gerrard
15. JOC

Make that s**t happen, Rebels.

If they can add a few really good tight forwards to go with Delve, Saffy, Lipman and Pyle then they have a very good look about them. I'd go after Kane Douglas if I was them. Thrown some big money at him as he might think he will struggle for games next year with Mumm and Vickerman. I don't want to lose him from NSW, but if I were the Rebels I'd definitely go for him. Timani is off to Japan too apparently which is a shame. Really playing well recently. But I digress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans120

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manly, Waratahs
Rod Macqueen changing his role to Director of Coaching with the Rebels and Damien Hill the head coach for the next 2 years. Good move, I reckon Hill will be a very successful coach and with Beale and JOC on board, things looking good for Melbourne.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi Guys I heard Ross oakley is no logner involved with the club when did this happen?

I;m not a massive union fan but wanted to get to a Rebels game or two.

Being a Fitzroy supporter I would not have anything to do with a club that Ross Oakley was involved with after what he did to us but if its true he has gone i will be happy to get to a couple of games.

I know some people might think I;m carrying on a little but after the way he treated Fitzroy still cuts

stuart27

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
MVFC, West Ham, Rebels
Hi Guys I heard Ross oakley is no logner involved with the club when did this happen?

I;m not a massive union fan but wanted to get to a Rebels game or two.

Being a Fitzroy supporter I would not have anything to do with a club that Ross Oakley was involved with after what he did to us but if its true he has gone i will be happy to get to a couple of games.

I know some people might think I;m carrying on a little but after the way he treated Fitzroy still cuts

Ross Oakley stepped down as CEO at the end of last year, replaced by Steve Boland, the former COO.

Ross is still the CEO of the VRU, but the two businesses are distinct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back