Super Rugby Official Melbourne Rebels thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Down at Geelong watching trial against Chiefs.
17-0 to the Chiefs at half time.
Rebels definitely need a couple more forwards. Getting pushed around at will.

Final score was Chiefs 36-0.
6 tries to the Chiefs.
Great crowd turned up.
Rebels definitely need more in forward from their pack.
I'm guessing more of the same as from last year.

MelbourneCrow

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea
I went down ther last night too. We were all over them for 10 minutes, then barely a sniff for the last 70. Beale and OC looked good in parts, and Kurtley even played a bit of the last quarter as well as the 2nd, which was all he was supposed to play I think.

The pack got pushed around much of the night in open play, and tries 2 ,3 and 4 all came form rolling mauls or the like.

After the game the players were fantastic, signing autographs for the fans and posing for photos too. I snapped my little fella with Gerrard, Kurtley and OC, who were only too happy to pose.

Fear not, pre-season is the time to make your mistakes.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah I wouldn't give the result too much weight. I think the rebels almost beat the crusaders in a warm up match last year for example. They're no great indicator, just a chance to blow out the cobwebs.

And I think the Chiefs will do well this year.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Just read that Sebastian Chabal has been released by Metro and is a chance to come to Super 15. He would be a quick-fix to the forward pack fears and a huge leader to the club- in and off the field. Unfortunately I can't see it happening but he'd be a fantastic addition IMO.

I'm not saying that that the rebels season is already over.
I'm just saying that they're still a season away from being real competitive against all opposition.
I can see them beating last year's record, but not competing in finals action.

MelbourneCrow

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea
Went in for the 2nd half last night, as I was at the cricket next door anyway.

Despite conceding two tries straight after the resumption we looked a lot better than in the Chiefs match for the last half hour. Good tackling, good defensive cover and the pack didn't get pushed around too much.

That Bye in Round 1 may be a blessing, as JOC was taken off as a precaution and I presume Kurtleys absence was a similar scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stuart27

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
MVFC, West Ham, Rebels
One average and two great performances by the Rebels.

Will be an interesting round 2 against the Tahs, who have a bruising Reds match up.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
It's still the pack that worries me most with the Rebels. They couldn't compete last year with good forward packs and last night they still can't compete with a pack the likes of a full strength Tahs' side (admittedly a pack that is pretty much Test quality). While the Tahs had consistent clean and quick ball that allowed the back line to flow forward with ease, the Rebels had no clean ball which allowed the defensive line to set strongly and get up quickly on Cipriani and JOC.

The latter had absolutely no room all night to do a thing. That will be alleviated somewhat when Beale begins playing but it won't be changed completely until the Rebels can form a defiantly strong pack. Pyle, Jones are good players and are very young as locks. That's a good start. Delve is a solid player but they need some tighter players who can be more effective at the breakdown IMO. A guy like Dave Dennis would be great for the Rebels to stick at 6. They need to upgrade their hookers. Offering James Hanson or Damien Fitzpatrick a big contract would be a great idea. Both very strong, young hookers who will be around for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back