Official Scoring Review

Remove this Banner Ad

That time of the year where we all try as hard as we can to get the Grand Final and Preliminary final threads pushed to page two, so here we go:

Backs: disp (1) + marks (2) = great, no change needed.
Forwards: (disp 0.5) + marks (2) + goals (6) + behinds (1) = scoring change last season means forwards are now a viable captaincy option and along with backs the easiest to draft for. No change needed.
Rucks: hitouts (1) + marks (2) = the big rucks like Goldy get capotained regularly. Their scores are round abouts. No change needed.
Tackler: tackles (5). Hardest spot to get. Almost flukey. Has always been the wild card position where some draft fro it, while pothers just throw someone in there. No change needed.
Inside Mid: Cont Poss (1) + Clearances (3) = clearly the hardest position to get and Id say statistically would be the lowest weekly scoring position out of all. Think how easy it is to get 30 in forwards or backs, then think how difficult it is there. Possible tweak needed.
Outside Mid: Uncontest Poss (1) + Clearances (3) = Id suggest the second hardest position to get easy points in. Captains don't play in this position as they seem more riskay than a back. Ever notice why the captain choices are backs? Again possible tweak needed.
Utility: disp (1) + marks (2) + clear (3) + tackles (5) + hit out (1) = perfect.

My aims for an equitable competition:
1) Do something to get IM and OM on par with backs and forwards. Possible solution is UP and CP move from 1 to 1.5. Or????
2) Do something to encourage other positions being getting a crack at captain's choice other than a 3rd backman.

Obviously I dont do stats because they're overrated but, Pie, do you have numbers to back up or rebut anything Ive said above.

Thoughts? Discuss?

Could add tackles to inside midfielders perhaps? But then I think that is far too many points for an inside midfielder, the guns like JPK would get 60 points a week.

I liked the scoring system this year, the good players will score highly in those positions.

I also like the scoring system this year, particularly the addition of IM and OM positions yet they really are the ugly ducking twins and id suggest would drop away severely after after the top echelon. Too often you see guys scoring 15 etc. I think it only needs something little, like .... IM gets 1% added and OM gets bounces added. Don't hold me to that. I haven't checked what that does, if its enough or even too much.

Not knowing just how it would affect scoring, I don't mind the 1.5 x contested (or uncontested) possessions idea.

Not a fan of the 1% boost or bounces.

Not knowing just how it would affect scoring, I don't mind the 1.5 x contested (or uncontested) possessions idea.

Not a fan of the 1% boost or bounces.
That's probably the tweak it needs. Pie?

As someone who holds two mid thirties midfielders I'm more than happy to review upgrading the mids positioning. I do agree though, there's very few mids who average about 30, most will probably get about four clearances a game so end up with mid 20s or late 20s.

Could add tackles to inside midfielders perhaps? But then I think that is far too many points for an inside midfielder, the guns like JPK would get 60 points a week.

I liked the scoring system this year, the good players will score highly in those positions.

I agree with this statement 110%.

All in favour?

We'll look at some midfielders to see points wise.

1. Current system
2. Disposals worth 1.5
3. Clearances worth 4

Players:

Tom Liberatore (contested)
1. 38.8
2. 45.9
3. 47

Dayne Beams (uncontested)
1. 35.4
2. 43.8
3. 41.5

Simon Black (uncontested)

1. 26.1
2. 31.65
3. 31.1

Jaeger O'Meara (uncontested)

1. 23.2
2. 30.3
3. 28.2

From what I can see I think the disposals inclusion 1.5 might be the best because lets face it disposals are easier to come by than clearances for the lesser mids. This example is shown perfectly for O'Meara who might not play a clearance role and he has suddenly moved up to an alright score. For those at the top I think it might break away further where as the middle tier will be a lot closer.

I like the 1.5 disposals personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now were only increasing uncontested and contested possessions for the IM and OM aren't we. Not increasing disposals which we use for backs, forwards and utility?

Now were only increasing uncontested and contested possessions for the IM and OM aren't we. Not increasing disposals which we use for backs, forwards and utility?
Correct, sr20. The aforementioned scoring system would make for the following;

Backs = Disposals (1) + Marks (2)
Inside Mid = Contested Possession (1.5) + Clearances (3)
Outside Mid = Uncontested Possession (1.5) + Clearances (3)
Forwards = Disposals/2 (1) + Marks (2) + Goals (6) + Behinds (1)
Tackles = Tackles (5)
Ruck = Hitouts (1) + Marks (2)
Utility = Disposals (1) + Marks (2) + Hitouts (1) + Tackles (5) + Clearances (3)

Pie 4 Life (if you're still alive), in the below scenario the utility's score doesn't include goals or behinds. I was under the impression that the utility scoring would be staying the same (ie, still including goals and behinds). Is the scoring below correct or did amos just get it wrong?

Correct, sr20. The aforementioned scoring system would make for the following;

Tackles = Tackles (5)
Utility = Disposals (1) + Marks (2) + Hitouts (1) + Tackles (5) + Clearances (3)

My mistake, WAG. Utilities get g+b. Still, pipe up, Pie. Would like to know if you're alive.
I died, but luckily the doctor resuscitated me when he was informed I had to run a fantasy football competition ;)

Nah, just been full on with work, this is the time I get home most nights and I'm usually pretty much dead to the world. Luckily with uni coming up I'll have a few days off per week so I'll be in tip top shape. I'll have a few hours on Monday and then most of Tuesday to try and knuckle down into this. Got another few 12-14 hour days coming up this weekend.

You're correct with utilities staying the same :)

I died, but luckily the doctor resuscitated me when he was informed I had to run a fantasy football competition ;)

Nah, just been full on with work, this is the time I get home most nights and I'm usually pretty much dead to the world. Luckily with uni coming up I'll have a few days off per week so I'll be in tip top shape. I'll have a few hours on Monday and then most of Tuesday to try and knuckle down into this. Got another few 12-14 hour days coming up this weekend.

You're correct with utilities staying the same :)
upload_2014-2-13_23-45-27.jpeg

Hmm interesting. Bit too much for me though. Looks incredibly similar to a comp that I do amongst mates although our scoring is a little different again. Footyscam we call it and the scoring is simpler again.

Here's last years Premiership Team Lineup.

The Cheetahs
Back: Paul Duffield
Back: Steele Sidebottom (vc)
Inside Mid: Taylor Adams
Outside Mid: Leigh Montagna
Forward: Travis Cloke (c)
Forward: Stewart Crameri
Ruck: Ivan Maric
Tackler: Kieren Jack
Utility: Will Minson
Coach's Choice: Nathan Foley (Back)

Emergencies
Back: Clancee Pearce
Inside Mid:
Outside Mid:
Forward: Jude Bolton
Ruck: Orren Stephenson
Tackler:
Utility: Justin Westhoff
Coach's Choice:

An all you need to know is this:

Teams to be submitted before the bounce between of Friday night game in this fashion: dont forget to name a captain for double points and a VC.

Back:
Back:
CC:
Forward:
Forward:
Inside Mid:
Outside Mid:
Ruck:
Tackler:
Utility:

Emergencies:
B:
CC:
F:
IM:
OM:
R:
T:
U:

Scoring System:

Tackles = Tackles (5)
Utility = Disposals (1) + Marks (2) + Hitouts (1) + Tackles (5) + Clearances (3) + Goals (6) + Behinds (1)

And Pie does your score you all you do is name a lineup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back