Mega Thread Official Swans Pre Season "Training The House Down" Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As great as Pyke was over his time the last year seemed like he had zero mobility and thus below his knees he was terrible and wasn't taking those marks around the ground. Bit predictable with the double hand palm down to the feet but he was still effective in the ruck. If Sinclair can be effective around the ground and give service where the mids don't always have to bend then we will have a better advantage in the middle and perhaps be able to counter Jetta's loss....if that makes sense.

Completely agree. But for that to happen, Sinclair has to have more of an impact than just be there to assist with the structure of the side. That's the point I'm trying to make.

In that case, he is basically doing what Pyke was already doing right? But we lose Jetta for him so where does the team improvement in the area we're talking about come from?

Sorry, I sound really negative and I'm not. I think we'll be super competitive again this year but I don't see a huge advantage in recruiting Sinkers especially at the expense of our best line-breaking distributor. I understand the deal had to be done because Jetta was gone anyway and we had to get something for him...just wish we got a bit more.
Like I said, I hope Sinclair proves me wrong, but I believe he will have to have a significant impact to do so, rather than just be a decoy so Bud and Tippet can do their thing.
I think I'd agree with you if the premise was if Jetta didn't want to leave but we forced his hand and traded him. However, he wanted to leave. Not much we could have done about it. We got the best value trade we could out of it.

None-the-less, I think we got Jetta's best years & likewise I think we'll get Sinkers' best years. We get more cap to spend and it covers a glaring issue with the retirement of Pykey. Sinkers will be more mobile and provided more around the ground than Pyke was managing. So from my point of view it's a win to us in the short & long run.

If you aren't sure then think of it like this: it could have very well been the surplus funds from not paying for Jetta which allowed us to do the Smith & Parker contracts.... Feel better about the trade now?

I think I'd agree with you if the premise was if Jetta didn't want to leave but we forced his hand and traded him. However, he wanted to leave. Not much we could have done about it. We got the best value trade we could out of it.

None-the-less, I think we got Jetta's best years & likewise I think we'll get Sinkers' best years. We get more cap to spend and it covers a glaring issue with the retirement of Pykey. Sinkers will be more mobile and provided more around the ground than Pyke was managing. So from my point of view it's a win to us in the short & long run.

If you aren't sure then think of it like this: it could have very well been the surplus funds from not paying for Jetta which allowed us to do the Smith & Parker contracts.... Feel better about the trade now?

Like I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I understand that Jetta was out the door and we needed to get the best we could which ended up being Sinclair. I understand the that the Smith and Parker contracts potentially happened as a result. Maybe we were able to secure Talia as a result as well. My point still remains and is pretty simple. I'm judging the trade on its own. Jetta vs Sinclair on their day, I'd take Jetta every day of the week. I understand there is more to it than that but I really feel Jetta holds more value than Sinclair which is why I feel (at this stage) we lost on that particular deal.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disgusted with the fact Jetta left and we picked up Sinclair. I was simply voicing my opinion on that one trade on its own.

Like I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I understand that Jetta was out the door and we needed to get the best we could which ended up being Sinclair. I understand the that the Smith and Parker contracts potentially happened as a result. Maybe we were able to secure Talia as a result as well. My point still remains and is pretty simple. I'm judging the trade on its own. Jetta vs Sinclair on their day, I'd take Jetta every day of the week. I understand there is more to it than that but I really feel Jetta holds more value than Sinclair which is why I feel (at this stage) we lost on that particular deal.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not disgusted with the fact Jetta left and we picked up Sinclair. I was simply voicing my opinion on that one trade on its own.
I'd normally agree with you re. Jetta over Sinclair, but list needs have to be taken into account. We desperately needed a ruckman. And we got one.

A lot of revisionist history going on here with Jetta. His last few games with us were horrific, but even in 2015 he pulled out some cracker games. That round 19 game against Geelong he was pretty much carrying the team in the first half.

Some people may want to reduce him to his 'elite kick' and pace, but his best strength is his vision and we'll certainly miss that this season.

A lot of revisionist history going on here with Jetta. His last few games with us were horrific, but even in 2015 he pulled out some cracker games. That round 19 game against Geelong he was pretty much carrying the team in the first half.

Some people may want to reduce him to his 'elite kick' and pace, but his best strength is his vision and we'll certainly miss that this season.

So true when he saw a contest coming he used his superior vision to take a few steps to the side to avoid any contact. Sublime vision.

Sorry I just had to ..

People keep referring to Jettas strengths. He was an elite kick and was extremely fast. However, if you only get. 10 kicks in a game, how is this relevant?
Because if your 10 kicks lead to 6 scoring opportunities then they are more important than 20 shitty chips in defensive 50, 10 shanks, or a bunch of 2m handballs to no particular advantage.

Because if your 10 kicks lead to 6 scoring opportunities then they are more important than 20 shitty chips in defensive 50, 10 shanks, or a bunch of 2m handballs to no particularl advantage.

Exactly. Jetta ball in hand was probably the most attacking player we had other than Goodes and Buddy, though saying that I wonder why our 3 Aboriginal players were the most naturally aggressive players ball in hand that we have/had.

Just had a quick look at the video in the club site from the scratchy a few days ago... boys were showing good intensity, however i did notice some typical swans kicks that were a bit up and under

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally where our list is at, I would take Sinclair over Jetta.

I think we are a better team after that trade. I also think West Coast are a better team after the trade.

Latest write-up on the Swans site highlights the experience we've lost and the players who will need to step up. The following list is posted without comment.

GONE
Goodes (372 games)
Shaw (237 games)
Bird (137 games)
Jetta (127 games)
Pyke (110 games)
TOTAL EXPERIENCE LOST: 983 GAMES

PUSHING FOR SELECTION (according to the article)
B. Jack (27 games)
Towers (17 games)
Jones (15 games)
Robinson (4 games)
Rose (2 games)
X. Richards (2 games)

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-01-31/youth-to-cover-exodus

Latest write-up on the Swans site highlights the experience we've lost and the players who will need to step up. The following list is posted without comment.

GONE
Goodes (372 games)
Shaw (237 games)
Bird (137 games)
Jetta (127 games)
Pyke (110 games)

B. Jack (27 games)
Towers (17 games)
Jones (15 games)
Robinson (4 games)
Rose (2 games)
X. Richards (2 games)

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-01-31/youth-to-cover-exodus

GONE
Goodes (372 games) - Had a good finals series but was rather cooked for much of the season
Shaw (237 games) - Was good in the last 30% of the season but poor in the first 70%
Bird (137 games) - Barely played in 2015
Jetta (127 games) - Probably his second best season for us, big loss
Pyke (110 games) - His knees were on their way out and he was rather cooked much of the time

B. Jack (27 games) - Needs to become a proper small forward and apply a lot of pressure
Towers (17 games) - Showed in the last 5 games of the season he is definitely capable of making it.
Jones (15 games) - Again, he has shown signs that he is going to make it and be a solid player
Robinson (4 games) - Too early to tell
Rose (2 games) - Too early to tell but I am hopeful
X. Richards (2 games) - I thought he was pretty good in his second game for us. Showed he has some talent.

Because if your 10 kicks lead to 6 scoring opportunities then they are more important than 20 shitty chips in defensive 50, 10 shanks, or a bunch of 2m handballs to no particular advantage.
for sure, except form and impact is constantly changing, his 2015 didn't look great going into 2016.

So then to the next point he wanted out, we lost a ruckman so i think we did very well in the trade.

Loved having him, and agreed he was very important. But his impact started to drop and he wanted out, so time to adapt for the rest of the team.

I agree with you Superstar swan

Sinclair's impact can only really be measured in terms of the flow on effects in the structures we can utilise and in particular the impact upon Tippo & Buddy IMO. He may very well not impact a game on his own but as a small unit in the team I think the 3 big boys (Tip/Bud/Sinkers) can allow each other to play a better game of footy overall for the team.

Not just that but he's still a young lad who can develop further and has proven that he's not afraid to put in some solid effort and yards for an outcome, even if it's not for personal recognition or glory.

A team player who tries hard and plays his role is what I'm expecting to see from Sinkers this year and is exactly what we need IMO.

GTG I'm not sure I'd classify Bud as playing a tall or big guy role. He occasionally impacts the play in a marking contest but I think his value is more on the lead and in general play. He is so dangerous anywhere near the ball and probably twice so when the ball hits the turf. His running snaps from 50-60 metres are sensational. But he has not been a consistently high marking forward since about the end of 2009. He takes a few contested every match but that isn't really a huge strength. It is his ability to get free and run his opponent ragged that kills sides.

I think Reid is the third tall. He is a true tall forward. A contested marking prodigy. When he perfects it he will be a marking genius. Reid, Tip and Sinclair as the tall contested marking trio and Bud as the leading, roaming anywhere I can kick a 70 metre goal forward. Add Towers, Heeney and possibly at times, Rose, Mills, Benny?, Parks & Kizza to the mix and we are pretty strong forward of centre. The challenge is to have between 60 & 70% conversion per 50 metre entries. That would mean mids who can actually kick.:drunk::oops::mad:;):eek:

Sorry guys. Got to disagree with both of you.

You don't recruit a forward to act as a decoy or to simply crash packs (especially when you don't have good small forwards). Sinclair has to make an impact himself in order to be another headache for the opposition defence. We can't be one dimensional and rely on Buddy all the time. We are at our best when we have a higher number of goal scorers and the opposition can't cover our goal kickers.

Of course I'm not saying that Sinclair needs to kick a high score each week, but if Buddy gets say 3 and Tippo and Sinclair each get 1.5 with another 5-7 goal scorers that would be a great result.

Personally, I think that Tippett will play more in the ruck than Sinclair. Say a 60/40 pr 55/45 split. Its going to be an exciting start to the year to see what our coaches intentions are.

LS I am wondering about that. Tip was really good toward the end of last season. In his last 5 games he kicked 5, 3, 2, 3, 2. The last being the North final and quite frankly we didn't get the ball into the forward 50 much after half time. I think his output for most of last year was pretty good but I would like to see him lead a bit more. He kicked 44.23 last year which for a ruckman is pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back