Official Club Stuff Official: Tom Boyd officially a Bulldog for Griffen & Pick 6

Read a article in today's herald sun saying Tom ballooned to110kgs during the year after arriving at 104kg haha do they know how to develop kids up there in greater Western Sydney?

Dogs will be getting his weight back under control over summer

Clay

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club (VFL)
Yeah, look at Boyd after being drafted:
BoydAGiant.jpg

He looks a lot heavier now.

Clay

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club (VFL)
Obviously the club and Boyd himself will know best (I like the look of Boyd as a professional operator) but I'm looking forward to seeing him about 5kg + lighter after the pre-season. He was playing very heavy this year, and I think Tom fancies himself a bid more mobile than what GWS had planned for him. He can get down to his proper 19 year old playing weight (about 98-100kg I imagine) and then slowly put on some muscle as he gets older and stronger.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Because from what i understand they wanted him the heavy goal square forward with Patton and Cameron more the tall roaming forwards. and imo i think Boyds career will be way better then Hawkins.

He was already heavy? For some stupid reason some think that heavy = better. In fact, it is not how much one weighs that is important, but their strength. Someone at 90kg can be stronger in the body and arms than someone who is 110kg. I think GWS have a very poor developmental program going on over there, many of their kids have been on the list for 2-3 season, and are still skinny as a rake. Boyd went in there at an optimal weight, yet ballooned out almost 10kg. There is only so much weight one can put on, before it affects their speed and agility

If they went by what you said, then they are idiots. He was already a "heavy" goal square forward. A strong, mobile and agile full forward is way more dangerous than a forward who is just big.

Last edited:

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
He was already heavy? For some stupid reason some think that heavy = better. In fact, it is not how much one weighs that is important, but their strength. Someone at 90kg can be stronger in the body and arms than someone who is 110kg. I think GWS have a very poor developmental program going on over their, many of their kids have been on the list for 2-3 season, and are still skinny as a rake. Boyd went in there at an optimal weight, yet ballooned out almost 10kg. There is only so much weight one can put on, before it affects their speed and agility

If they went by what you said, then they are idiots. He was already a "heavy" goal square forward. A strong, mobile and agile full forward is way more dangerous than a forward who is just big.
Maybe he was like woman that eat when depressed, you know ice cream comfort food :)

Turtleman3

Club Legend
Mar 11, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if this has been discussed (I haven't seen it a way) but the Boyd/Griffen trade would have been interesting if the bid for Darcy Moore had have been successful. All hypothetical and irrelevant now.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not sure if this has been discussed (I haven't seen it a way) but the Boyd/Griffen trade would have been interesting if the bid for Darcy Moore had have been successful. All hypothetical and irrelevant now.

Probably would have just meant we would have made a play for Boyd next season. Can you imagine Boyd at FF and Moore and CHF for the next decade, or even CHB. But that is not what has happened, so forward we go :p

But indeed it would have been interesting and changed the whole outcome.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Crameri has gotta be the clear favorite, but $6 isn't bad value...

I'd probably jump on Crameri as our leading goal kicker as well for this season. Wouldn't surprise me if he hits the 40 goal mark for the first time in his career. Then again, it depends whether we use him up forward to exploit the smaller defenders, or if we use him heaps more in the midfield.

Wonder what Crameris odds are currently?

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The thing that would worry me if we did get Darcy Moore would be him requesting a trade to Pies in 2 years or less. Yes ironic I know considering Boyd.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I'd probably jump on Crameri as our leading goal kicker as well for this season. Wouldn't surprise me if he hits the 40 goal mark for the first time in his career. Then again, it depends whether we use him up forward to exploit the smaller defenders, or if we use him heaps more in the midfield.

Wonder what Crameris odds are currently?
Stringer will be near the top, i am expecting a 40+ goal year for him and Crameri

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Stringer will be near the top, i am expecting a 40+ goal year for him and Crameri

If he starts the way he ended this season, he will easily run away with it for sure. No reason he cannot do it in my opinion. Will be interesting to see how it works though, as we often had him playing alone in the goal square at times, or he had space to lead when he was kicking those bags That will be Boyd's job this time around. So both players will have to work well together to compliment each other. Stringer wasn't as effective it seemed when we had a big body who did nothing around the square with him. He needs to be left alone or have someone who can actually play next to him. If both click, we'll have a very scoreboard deadly tandem

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Reckon next year our goal kickers will be around
Stringer- 45 goals
Crameri- 33 goals
Boyd- 36 goals

We will be laughing if we can get that kind of production from the forward line. If we had that this season, we would have won around 10 games for sure. The main issue for us though, is for our midfielders to kick more goals. Particularly our inside players, they don't seem to cause damage on the scoreboard enough.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
If he starts the way he ended this season, he will easily run away with it for sure. No reason he cannot do it in my opinion. Will be interesting to see how it works though, as we often had him playing alone in the goal square at times, or he had space to lead when he was kicking those bags That will be Boyd's job this time around. So both players will have to work well together to compliment each other. Stringer wasn't as effective it seemed when we had a big body who did nothing around the square with him. He needs to be left alone or have someone who can actually play next to him. If both click, we'll have a very scoreboard deadly tandem
Im expecting Stringer to play a roving CHF role with Boyd FF

We will be laughing if we can get that kind of production from the forward line. If we had that this season, we would have won around 10 games for sure. The main issue for us though, is for our midfielders to kick more goals. Particularly our inside players, they don't seem to cause damage on the scoreboard enough.
Stringer will be playing full time forward and kicked 24 goals in the last half of the season, and with a pre-season under his belt we should be easy to hit that goal.
With Boyd there, Crameri will get second defender and kick arse and with the new coach and the amount of talent we have got that have great kicking skills.
It should be easy.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Im expecting Stringer to play a roving CHF role with Boyd FF

I would keep him near the goal square to be honest. No reason why he and Boyd cannot work well together and dominate if we allow both of them the space whilst our half forwards and small forwards work their way into the midfield. Though I would send Stringer up high at times and have a small crumber floating around Boyd. But that's just my own idea

Stringer will be playing full time forward and kicked 24 goals in the last half of the season, and with a pre-season under his belt we should be easy to hit that goal.
With Boyd there, Crameri will get second defender and kick arse and with the new coach and the amount of talent we have got that have great kicking skills.
It should be easy.

And of course, but I think more of Stringers goals in the run home, came from a better forward set up, and he was being allowed the space and at times to play one on one. With Boyd now taking that goal square role, I am curious to whether it will affect his production for the better or the worse. When we had another tall guy hanging around him for most of the season, Stringer did very little. Mainly because the tall players we did put down their were next to useless and couldn't take a mark for the life of them, got in his way often. Once we dropped those guys who were wasting space, and Stringer became the focal point, and at times the lone guy. He suddenly became effective and stormed home with heaps of goals

He likely wont be that guy no more, with Boyd being given the goal square, so Stingers role and tactics will be made to change based on his placement in the forward line, it could help more, or have the opposite effect. The thing with Boyd though, is he is mobile and can actually take a mark. So a working as a tandem might be more effective for Stringer and give him more to work with, and I think it could actually work. If we allow both of them the space, and they have the smarts, it will be a very potent combo that could result in 40 goals for both players. Will be interesting to see if having a genuine forward compared to a make shift tall forward will allow Stringer to be just as effective as he was late in the season, as it didn't work in the first half of the season

Back