Old School Ice Creams

JockStewart

Cancelled
Day Off
Mar 13, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Thats as bad as my mum...

House in Paddo = $2-3 mil (massive 5 bedrooms three stories) or even more!

House in Sydney outskirts = 800k max. (house was one of those early masterton kit homes..blonde brick mission brown gutters and features)

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
The finest ice creams I ever ate came from our local dairy, in Thornbury. My brothers and I used to be sent there with our two litre pail to have it filled up with fresh milk. While we were there, we were occasionally allowed to buy a chocolate-covered ice cream, made by the dairy itself. It was like an Eskimo Pie, except that they made their own ice cream and their own chocolate. The chocolate was cut into wafer-thin slabs, which they pressed onto the ice cream. Never tasted better chocolate, or ice cream.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
I spent half my life living in the Thornbury area (if it's the Thornbury in Melbourne that you're refering to) It's hard to imagine it ever being dairy country, considering you'd be lucky to find a park any bigger than a block of land there today.

Did the unpasturised milk they used in the ice cream back then make the ice cream taste a much different to that of today?
The dairy was located in Wales Street, near the primary school, but on the opposite side of the street. Obviously, even back then, it wasn't "dairy country". It was a hole-in-the-wall outlet, with a house attached, and the storage for the milk was located out the back.

Don't get me started about the near-total demise of pasteurised milk. Yes indeed, the ice creams tasted better with this. However, the greatest loss in the non-use of pasteurised milk is in the making of milkshakes. When milk is homogenised as well, the fat globules in it are closed off, or sealed, so-to-speak. The upshot of this is that when you add flavouring to homogenised milk, that flavouring becomes merely a suspension in the liquid, rather than an integral part of it. The other effect of this is that when the shake is mixed, and allowed to settle, you miss out on the marvellous, large bubbles on its surface which accumulate and don't dissipate. If this sounds like a way to make the best milkshake you've ever had, it is. If you want to mix one up for yourself, make sure you use milk which is at least two days old, and it should be really cold.

So there. I warned you not to get me started about pasteurised milk.

Edit: The last time I checked, Parmalat were still making pasteurised milk, and it was on the shelves of the larger supermarkets.

JockStewart

Cancelled
Day Off
Mar 13, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Love parmalat milk..a bit pricey these days. And yeah i remember growing up drinking a moove was like drinking a real milk shake..creamy and so filling.

These days a Big M tastes so watered down and not nice at all. I am assuming Big M were the same as Mooves anyway, just a different name.

Even OAK which used to be so nice taste bland these days or is not as creamy as it used to be.

IAMJUNGLEMUFFIN

Cancelled
Feb 8, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah never tried a Golden Gaytime till a few years ago when a bloke put me on to them, but damn they're good. Still all over the place here in WA.

My all time go to favourite has to be a Giant Sandwhich.

DJ Dupree

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Dragons, Rovers
So damn good. I had completely forgotten about Funny Faces. I had them all the time, how did I forget them?

Yowies (??) like a jelly/iceblock combination.

Winner Tacos!

I'm pretty sure there was a Gaytime in existence that wasn't 'golden' at some stage.

The 'Pencil' icecream - anyone remember that?

Plogs

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2005
TasMANIA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Yeah never tried a Golden Gaytime till a few years ago when a bloke put me on to them, but damn they're good. Still all over the place here in WA.

My all time go to favourite has to be a Giant Sandwhich.

GG's are still prevelant in Tassie, had one last weekend. A mate of mine went to WA a couple of years ago & snagged hazlenut rolls at will. But i want to get to the bottom of the ice cream that had the bubble gum stick. I have have many a discussion with my fellow vintage to no avail (grew up in the 80's). It was a pinkish gum (no surprises there) that has a blue plastic wrapper that could be accessed via a perforated strip down the side.......

Scott1976

Draftee
Aug 22, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Love the thread!

I'm trying to track down info on an ice cream / icy pole I used to enjoy pre-1984. I remember it came in a wrapper that revealed a picture as it "heated up" (ie. when you took it out of the freezer). I vaguely remember the pictures on the wrappers being monsters or vampires or similar, but I could be mistaken.

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
I used to love these.

698592427_o.jpg

Crows_United_FC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
The old rainbow streets paddle pops tasted way better than the current ones. They were also Pink,Yellow and Blue instead of the current on Pink,yellow and Purple.

kanye_best

Cancelled
Jul 1, 2011
Levi's Beard
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't find much online about this so it's possible I'm remembering slightly wrong but does anyone remember a chupa chups ice-cream? I believe it was a combo of vanilla/choc ice-cream in a sort of plastic tube and inside the tube was a chupa chops lollipop that you discovered when you finished the ice cream! It was by far my favourite when I was a kid (late 90s/early 00s) and yet it seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth.

The only thing I could find about it was this facebook post where Chupa Chups seem completely unaware of any ice cream.

https://www.facebook.com/ChupaChupsAustralia/posts/364398310331623

Not an ice-cream, but I miss toucans in summer time dearly :cry:

11b49c2b636d6d0664a64bf78ffd629d.jpg

I miss them too. Could eat them all day.

I'm loving these at the moment.

image.jpg

When you get down to the two bottom colours, it's a twinpole all over again.

Back